Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-16, 12:17 PM  
pattyd0319

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2B View Post
The best part of the night was the Cookie Monster commercial. I laughed out loud when they showed that about 32 seconds had gone by from the first time Cookie Monster asked Siri to set the timer.
I loved that commercial too!
pattyd0319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-16, 12:19 PM  
T2B

Knowing for certain who died wouldn't have made me happier. I felt like the whole season was a build up to us knowing one way or another who was going to die. I don't want to wait 6 months to find out who actually died. It's so annoying to me. I'm too invested in the show and characters.

Thinking of it as a big soap opera may be the way to go.

joy, love
peace and patience
kindness with goodness
faithfulness & gentleness
self-control
- Motivational Sticker

Now: XTRAIN 90 Day Undulating (Generic) 7/22/22 - 10/24/22
Peak Fit System: 6/3/22 - 7/21/22 *** STS/LIS 90 Day Undulating: 11/19/21 - 2/12/22 *** 6 Week Fusion XTRAIN: 5/17/21 - 6/27/21 *** Body Beast: 12/21/20 - 3/18/21 *** STS: 1/29/20 - 5/3/20 *** Fit Tower/LIS/ICE/ 90 Day: 10/29/19 - 1/19/20 *** XTRAIN 90 Day Undulating: 7/29/19 - 10/25/19
T2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-16, 12:21 PM  
T2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyd0319 View Post
i loved that commercial too!
I was coveting the stove, too.

joy, love
peace and patience
kindness with goodness
faithfulness & gentleness
self-control
- Motivational Sticker

Now: XTRAIN 90 Day Undulating (Generic) 7/22/22 - 10/24/22
Peak Fit System: 6/3/22 - 7/21/22 *** STS/LIS 90 Day Undulating: 11/19/21 - 2/12/22 *** 6 Week Fusion XTRAIN: 5/17/21 - 6/27/21 *** Body Beast: 12/21/20 - 3/18/21 *** STS: 1/29/20 - 5/3/20 *** Fit Tower/LIS/ICE/ 90 Day: 10/29/19 - 1/19/20 *** XTRAIN 90 Day Undulating: 7/29/19 - 10/25/19
T2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-16, 01:00 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
...The best part of the night was the Cookie Monster commercial. I laughed out loud when they showed that about 32 seconds had gone by from the first time Cookie Monster asked Siri to set the timer.
I like that commercial too! The 'Time in a Bottle' song is so haunting. Finally realized I don't yet have it on my MP3 player.

For me, one of the issues I have with the shows that are based on a comic is the basic idea behind your average comic book that any story line can be redirected at any moment, in any new direction no matter what the characters have said or done up to that point. The entire series could be rebooted, the main character's origin story rewritten, etc. Also, the main point of a comic is to keep the story going on and on and on forever. There is no main story arc for the entire series, because they don't want the series to end. Television shows that write that way kind of irritate me. I prefer having a long term story arc that makes some sense, that builds on whatever's come before, that shows some kind of progression, good or bad.

I like seeing how the characters respond to their predicaments, but if the writers are just going to create some dumb new explanation for a storyline that makes no sense, I'm not sure how invested I can be with the story, the characters or the show.

I'm having the same trouble with DC's Legends of Tomorrow. The story line seems a bit random and since they can turn on a dime and rewrite history whenever they want, I'm not sure why I should care.

Having done this much rambling, I will say that some of the other episodes from TWD earlier this season were really excellent. Loved seeing Morgan's back story, for example. (However irritating it might have been to have yet another zombie bite out of nowhere dictate the story line.)
Old 04-04-16, 01:18 PM  
Stephanie_B

Anna I know what you mean. IMO Lost is what did it for me, I invested a lot of mental energy and I remember in the beginning they insisted it wasn't going to be a dream and it wasn't going to be that they were actually dead. The storylines that were given a lot of hype, not only didn't....they weren't addressed! Does that make sense? I do think the older I get, the less interested I am in hit television shows until they have been on years OR even over, and I'll binge watch all of it IF the fans say it ended well. How I met your mother was one. Everyone would always insist it wasn't Robin the main character was going to end up with and WTH?

I guess I expect writers to REALLY pay attention, and maybe TWD should pay Yvette Nicole Brown to make sure there are no inconsistencies and everything gets addressed. She rocks!

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-16, 01:58 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie_B View Post
Anna I know what you mean. IMO Lost is what did it for me, I invested a lot of mental energy and I remember in the beginning they insisted it wasn't going to be a dream and it wasn't going to be that they were actually dead. The storylines that were given a lot of hype, not only didn't....they weren't addressed! Does that make sense? ...
I felt exactly the same way about Lost. Watched every episode, was fascinated with the character development, but hated where it wound up. They did exactly what they repeatedly said they weren't going to do. So let down. The seemingly pointless violence is most of the reason I won't re-watch and don't have this on dvd. (I had the chance to get the seasons on dvd at the library book sale for about a dollar each, and passed it up, that's how much I don't want to re-watch Lost.)

Fringe and Person of Interest are the only shows recently that have seemed to do a good job creating a long term story arc. Sure, I kind of dislike some of what happened in Fringe (won't spoil it if you haven't seen it), but I respect the story they ultimately told. It made sense, the story arcs worked, the characters were (mostly) more than just players in an endlessly rebooted spiral.

I'm really sad that POI is ending soon, but at least they've had the chance to tell a good story.
Old 04-04-16, 02:14 PM  
Stephanie_B

ITA about Fringe (saw all of it and I still love it, John Noble will be Walter forever.

I am sad POI is ending. I hope they do justice by the series and end it properly. I was disappointed in Forever ending, but I love the three leads, especially Ioan (ever since Horatio Hornblower LOL).

But I think I feel the same about books. I honestly thought I'd hate The Hunger Games, but read and liked them (I didn't get past the first few pages of Twilight). So Amazon recommended Divergent...which got progressively worse. I won't spoil it for anyone, but the author doesn't seem to take constructive criticism well AT ALL. People would write in and voice that the last book was HORRIBLY written (which it was, it was from two different character's POV, but you couldn't tell which was which...both had the same voice and that's just not how a good writer does it)...she assumes it's because of something to do with the female lead. Sigh. I do love series in books and TV, but the older I get, the more jaded I get that they deliver past the initial hype.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-16, 03:13 PM  
antbuko

Quote:
To me, the finale was a big f you to the viewing audience.
Seriously. Did they really think fans wouldn't come back in the fall to see what happens? Well, now, maybe not.

ETA: I am glad to see that there were others who were not pleased with this finale. It was a very lengthy buildup; didn't need to be an elongated finale, IMO. Long, drawn out final seen introducing the big bad and then an anticlimactic ending. Boo hiss.
Old 04-04-16, 03:54 PM  
angie_nrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodie View Post
I enjoyed thinking about who it might have been and studying the angle that Negan was standing. I was also listening for clues. For instance, Neegan said you can blink and you can cry but no screaming or whatever. Then he ordered someone to cut Carl's eye out and feed it to Rick if something happens and then they can continue. I love that he is crazy like that. but that also tells me that neither Rick nor Carl were chosen. I want to watch again to see who else I can cross off. The sound effects, to me, were awesome - thoroughly nasty and made worse because we couldn't tell who was feeling Lucille. There are women crying in the background..

So yeah, I see flaws in this episode, but I still enjoyed it for what it was,. And the actor that plays Neegan is serious eye candy. He is on The Good Wife right now too if you want to gt your fill while Dead is on hiatus! LOL! Maybe they should have dirtied him up a bit.
I noticed that too, although it was pretty slim that it would be Carl or Rick anyway. From what I could tell, they are the only 2 that can definitely be ruled out b/c of the reason you pointed out above. I re-watched the ending several times putting the people in order of where Negan should have been traveling while he was saying Eeennie, meenie..... However, the people he points to near the end are not in the order of where they were kneeling. I still think it's Glen, my DS thinks it's Sasha and really hopes it's not Eugene. He likes the mullet. I think it's a guy....not sure a girl would have been able to sustain the first blow like that.

Is Good Wife still on? I thought this was the last season but I could be wrong on that. I don't have any new episodes on que in my DVR, but it only goes out 2 weeks so maybe it's just on a brief hiatus?

I enjoyed the episode too. Yeah, it stinks that one of our characters is going to die, but that's part of the show, and like it or not, it does add to the drama. I for one, will definitely be tuning in when it comes back on. Even those who are PO'd at the ending will likely come back to see who it was. As a writer, that's what they are going for. Cliffhangers don't make me mad....but bad writing does. I think the writers have done a really good job. For a zombie show, you can really dig deep into this show if you choose to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh1673 View Post
I know a lot of people are complaining about "the cliffhanger" but I just don't see how knowing for certain that it was Eugene... or Glen ... or Michonne ... or whoever ... who was on the wrong end of Lucille would have made people happier??

And speaking of great performances: Negan. Ah yes, I am feeling confused about him. I mean, I hate him because he's out to hurt our people. But, on the other hand, he's quite sexy. Damn Jeffrey Dean Morgan has - like a fine wine - gotten even better with age!
No matter how they would have ended the season, it would not have been satisfying to everyone. I think I prefer not knowing until next season.

I too think JDM looks better now than he did 10 years ago. How can guys get away with that??? I'm really looking forward to what he's going to do with this character.

Quote:
I dunno. I guess having lots of nerdy friends into graphic novels, it's kinda how it is...suspense and wait a year (or so it seems to me because even as a teen I couldn't get into comics).

That said, I don't expect much from TV. Every single show IMO is soap opera like without stand alone episodes, save for I suppose comedies (I'm guessing don't watch tons) and everything else is "reality". I am a scifi nerd and it's been probably fifteen years since a "can't miss" sci fi has been on.
The comic lovers already pretty much have a decent idea of who it is. I don't read TWD comics, but I do have the compendiums, which I haven't read. I'll maybe read them after the show is over. Like you, I also don't have high expectations of TV shows. If I want something really good, I'll grab a book. That way, I can control the pacing however I want. I just don't let TV get too far under my skin. Supernatural is my only 'can't miss' show and that's b/c I just love the original story line and the actors. Sci-fi is difficult b/c it typically takes a lot of special effects and costs a lot more money than your run of the mill drama. I thought X-files did a good job when it was on in the 90's. The bar has certainly been raised. Love me some good Sci-fi!!

Quote:
I'll binge watch all of it IF the fans say it ended well.

I guess I expect writers to REALLY pay attention, and maybe TWD should pay Yvette Nicole Brown to make sure there are no inconsistencies and everything gets addressed. She rocks!
That reminds me of Jericho. I watched that series several years after it was out on DVD. The fans actually united against the studio and got the show back on air so that they could get a decent ending. I wish more shows would get an ending instead of just disappear due to cancellation.

YNB is hilarious! That girl definitely knows her stuff on WD. I'm sure she knows more about that show than most of the writers do. I love it when she's on Talking Dead.
Old 04-04-16, 04:47 PM  
woodie

The series finale of The Good Wife will air on May 8th. A friend of mine just showed me how he looks like this actor - Javier Bardem. That's the way I remember him looking. Nice, but not as nice as now!

New Butisattva

woodie
woodie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
favorite tv shows, fear the walking dead, ftwd, the walking dead, twd