Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-22-12, 09:38 AM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Good to see you back, Kathryn! Sorry to hear about your furbaby, and I hope your troubles ease up soon!

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-12, 10:09 AM  
DejaDeb

Kathyn, I am so sorry to hear about Bobsie!
Old 03-22-12, 10:38 AM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

(((Kathryn))) Sorry that you lost Bobsie. You had a really rough patch lately. That's really sweet that you're doing a fundraiser. Hope it turns out well.
Old 03-22-12, 11:01 AM  
gigi

I'm sorry about Bobsie Kathryn.....

Glad to see you back though.
Old 03-22-12, 11:30 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I can't say that I have missed you as I don't think our paths have crossed on vf, but glad you have returned. My sympathy for the loss of your cat Bobsie. Pets bring us so much joy when they are with us and heartbreak when they leave us. I lost a beloved dog two years ago and have another who is 14 so I savor every minute I have with him. Sorry to hear about your eye problem and the break in too. If bad things come in threes, I sure hope that's it for you! Take care.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-12, 11:47 AM  
jessicavi

(((((Hugs)))))
jessicavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-12, 01:21 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefit View Post
Oh boy, I'm so sorry about your pet! and your stolen purse! With your eye, is it a PVD (posterior vitreous detachment) or an incomplete one it sounds like? Are you very myopic (near sighted)? Be really diligent about getting in right away (like within 12 hours if possible) if you see flashes or more floaters or if you see a "curtain" or veil like disturbance in your peripheral vision anywhere. Although I'm sure your eye doc told you that...of course if he was a jerk maybe not!
I'm not sure what the doc said about what it was exactly, but something that "once it detaches, it should be fine". He just told me to not do any impact-type stuff (trampolines, running, etc.) and to check back in two months (I changed my appointment to another doctor). I found out about the 'flashes" and 'curtains' from online info.

I'm hoping this will clear up soon. A friend of mine had two surgeries for either a detached retina: surgery 2 was supposed to "correct" surgery one, but she ended up with a droopy eyelid on that side, and unable to see anything but light out of that eye. :-( I definitely DON'T want to get in that position.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-12, 01:26 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Thank you all for the kind words and condolences.

(To add insult to injury, now, there is a boil order for my neighborhood, as the street crew 'repairing' or replacing old water pipes down the road broke something they shouldn't have. Where is Mr. Rolleyes when you need him? I've stocked up on bottled water, as there's no way I'd drink the stuff that was coming out of my faucet, even after boiling! Guess it's time to get my distiller back to work, as a Pur filter ain't gonna cut it!)

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-12, 01:30 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
I'm not sure what the doc said about what it was exactly, but something that "once it detaches, it should be fine". He just told me to not do any impact-type stuff (trampolines, running, etc.) and to check back in two months (I changed my appointment to another doctor). I found out about the 'flashes" and 'curtains' from online info.

I'm hoping this will clear up soon. A friend of mine had two surgeries for either a detached retina: surgery 2 was supposed to "correct" surgery one, but she ended up with a droopy eyelid on that side, and unable to see anything but light out of that eye. :-( I definitely DON'T want to get in that position.
Oh your poor friend! Yep that's a PVD. (Sorry...long possibly boring explanation ahead but I thought I'd share the info...)

The vitreous gel inside the eyeball is attached to the retina at various spots but very strongly at the optic nerve. Over time (especially in really near sighted people but can happen to anyone) the gel starts to liquefy so the liquid and solid parts (protein strands/aka floaters) start to separate and the vitreous contracts. Once the gel actually separates you may have a large floater to be annoyed by but the force and tension that was pulling on the retina is released and there is no more danger of retinal detachment. However, at the time it pulls away you can potentially tear the retina which could lead to retinal detachment and blindness if not fixed right away. If you catch a tear really early (before you see the "curtain") then they can simply do a laser procedure to nail the tear down but I've had patients who waited 2 weeks after seeing the flashes and floaters before coming in to see me and the tear had progressed to detachment and hence surgery. Not that the laser is fun but it's definitely less invasive than the surgery and easier to recover from! I feel so bad for your friend!
Old 03-23-12, 03:47 PM  
lrb04

Eye fit, Thanks for detail lesson. Kathryn, boiling water now, I hope everything gets better for you!
lrb04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kathryn