Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-15-13, 01:01 PM  
ruthular

Live barre3 class complaint

I need to vent! Been going to barre3 classes in town since they opened a year ago. Very expensive, but I've been happy. Talked a friend of mine into going with me -- I had turned her on to barre3 online about 9 months ago. She does barre3 online a couple of times a week and one live class every couple of weeks. She has only been exercising for about a year. No dance background, no yoga, no certifications of any kind, has never even been to any other group fitness class, doesn't own a single workout DVD, has never heard of TBM, P57, PB, anything...and today they asked her if she'd like to teach. Her qualification? She's thin. She's my friend and I love her but I'll be damned if I'll spend $25 for her to teach a barre class. Am I a jerk?
ruthular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-13, 01:07 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

You're not at all a jerk. As an educated exerciser, I'd be ticked off too!
Old 11-15-13, 01:11 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Wow. Does she have really good form? I've always wondered what criteria these barre studios use to hire instructors. Personally, I'd much rather have an instructor who doesn't necessarily have a killer body but can teach well.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-13, 01:34 PM  
ruthular

Her form is not at all outstanding -- gets lots of corrections. She can't even make it through a class without taking lots of breaks. She's a really nice person and I totally applaud the way that she has embraced exercise for the first time in her 40s and she looks awesome but she's a total newbie. Honestly, I haven't been in for a couple of weeks and they probably will ask me if I want to teach as well, but I'm not qualified. For that kind of money I want someone who has trained in this method or has a yoga certification or at least some dance/ballet experience.
Old 11-15-13, 01:37 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Grrr! That is making me mad right now! I love Sadie Lincoln (as a person) but I did kind of get the impression that Barre3 has been going that image route especially the past couple years.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-13, 01:39 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

never mind
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-13, 01:49 PM  
ruthular

I know it sounds crazy, but you all are fellow vidiots so you'll understand...

I love Sadie and was thrilled when barre3 came to town. I won 2nd place in their challenge success story contest last winter and was featured on their poster for the challenge that just finished. I really believed in them -- have been promoting them to everyone who asks what I've been doing and now I feel like I've been cheated.

I was doing a monthly membership for almost a year, but just cancelled to do a class card because I've been injured. During this past challenge there were way too much standing butt work in weird positions that wrecked my back and we were supposed to be in studio 5x week. I should have known, but as the poster girl I didn't want to let anyone down. Now I'm wondering if the challenge is really just about driving business into the studio.

Several of the instructors that I LOVED who clearly had yoga/dance backgrounds have left. It seems to be getting really repetitive and I think poorly constructed workouts led to me being sidelined. Now this. Makes me so sad. Why do they all have to get greedy?

Upside? I finally broke down and bought some TA and am doing a TA/P57 rotation and am loving it.
Old 11-15-13, 01:58 PM  
ruthular

This is what I found as a description of what The Bar Method requires for training:

"An intensive week long training with a Master Teacher. Then a good 4-6 months post-training at the studio. Three written exams. Community classes and a video evaluation.
And even when you do become certified (and oh it is a joyous event!) then as instructors and as a studio, we get together every week to discuss the Method… to be sure we are doing things correctly and to soak up wisdom from Head Office."
Old 11-15-13, 02:54 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Ruthular, did the Barre3 people detail what their training is like to your friend? I know Physique 57's training takes several months, like Bar Method's.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-13, 03:41 PM  
ruthular

No. I'm hoping it's vigorous. They just asked if she was interested and told her she'd get a free membership. Hopefully I'm completely over-reacting to the whole thing. I'm probably just jealous.

Tags
barre3