Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 06-27-21, 01:29 PM  
JBliff

Total Max Mixers - Week of June 27

My workout yesterday was a 2-hour walk. It was so hot! DH and I were drenched by the time we got home.

I managed to hurt my left wrist somehow so have to stay away from weights for a while.

Waves to all.
JBliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-21, 06:16 AM  
Cher

No workout yesterday except a short bike ride in the afternoon.

JBliff - Thanks for starting us off. Sorry to hear about your wrist. Hopefully it doesn’t take to long to heal.

Karen - our county total is only 55% vaccinated. Detroit is only 30 something percent. we didn’t get any rain yesterday so no idea what these weather people were talking about??? It was good though that we didn’t because we got so much rain Friday night that we still have freeways in Detroit flooded and closed with stranded vehicles all over in the water.

Waves Vannie and Gibbee.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-21, 06:47 PM  
karjoy
VF Supporter

Tonight I went to Burn and we did MetCon or Metabolic Conditioning which is pretty brutal generally. We did lots of skiers, fast squats with overhead presses, and full Burpees with a pull-up after each Burpee. Done on the floor under the pull-up bar. I can’t do pull-ups though so I just jumped and touched the bar. Yesterday Judi and I ran 5 miles with some walking with the humidity.

Jbliff so sorry about your wrist. Can you still do the elliptical or does that cause pain too? Hopefully you can still walk unless it gets too darned hot. Thanks for starting us off.

Cher I am almost a little discouraged about our county’s low vaccination rate. I saw a person this morning who just got out of the hospital with Covid pneumonia
and blood clots in the lungs. All because they elected not to get the shot. Big sigh…

Waves to Vannie and Gibbee.
karjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-21, 09:18 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

JB: What a bummer about your wrist. Hope it heals quickly! We've had some severe humidity and heat here, too. Nothing like being soaked after a walk.

Cher:HI! How's your MIL doing? Joseph? Is Darrell enjoying retirement?

Karen: You sure do some tough workouts, my friend.

Vannie: Hi! Did you complete Lauren's swing challenge? I started and gave up. I have zero motivation some days.

Check in: A KCM FB buddy asked me to try some Caroline Girvan workouts so I did Epic Heat Day 1 on Sunday and Day 2 today. I figured maybe something different would attract my attention for a few days. We'll see.

I sure do miss you guys. My MIL's mobile home burned two weeks ago so on top of my FIL's death and his estate stuff (his house is a collection of many things... and dust) and work and life in general and our house (which needs some serious picking up / tossing of extra stuff), I'm up to my ears in excuses and exhaustion... and grief. So some days I try to be nice to myself but sometimes I find that actually turns into an excuse not to do anything.

Like Cher we are having torrential rains. I think my FIL's house has a basement leak, although it looks like the sump pump is working for the most part (DD and her DH checked the basement for me tonight). Today I helped my MIL complete the life insurance paperwork so she can get the money from a policy my FIL left for her. I'm glad he left her some of his retirement benefits and a bit of life insurance. It will be very helpful going forward. Anyway, the long and short of it is, I have plenty to keep me busy and plenty I do not want to do! I want to enjoy working out again, but I don't really enjoy it anymore. I hope maybe a few weeks of something different will help.

As I said above, I miss you guys. I will try to get on more frequently once the torrential rains stop. I can't afford to leave my PC on 24-7 right now with the power outages.

Take care all!

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-21, 06:58 AM  
Cher

Workout yesterday was LITE Stacked Lower Body one set of each exercise and LITE Stacked Upper Body Shoulders. SLB was so hard for me to finish. I’m just so disgusted with how out of shape I am and then I was tired all day after this….and I only did one set of each exercise.

Karen - Your MetCon workout made me exhausted just reading it. I would die doing that at this point. It is scary these people that won’t get the vaccine. Unfortunately, I know a few people that won’t get it yet.

Gibbee - MIL basically lays in her bed and doesn’t know anyone and can’t do anything for herself. If we talk to her and are right in her face, we can get her to smile once in a while. I don’t know how my SIL does it. Joseph is good. Seems to be doing okay at work and loving his new car. I guess DH is enjoying retirement. Most the time he is driving me crazy being here constantly. He has no hobbies and doesn’t do much with out me except cut grass.
How is Alex enjoying married life?
That is just so sad about your MIL’s trailer. Where is she staying right now?
I’m not enjoying exercise much anymore either. It’s just another chore at the moment.
Old 06-29-21, 12:09 PM  
Vantreesta

I really don't know why I wasn't posting last week or why my motivation has been low last week and this week. Anyway, here's what I did last week:

Mon 6/21 47 minutes DAD LEFT
47 minutes (from 3 dog walks 3.11 mi)

Tue 6/22 129 minutes Run With Hal app 15k Base Training Plan day 44 crosstrain
19 minutes (from 1.5 mi for Run With Hal app 15k Base Training Plan day 43) MON
13 minutes (from C. Jordan Exercises to Help High Hamstring Tendonitis Pain, YT)
7 minutes (from L. Brooks Summer Swing challenge day 1)
10 minutes (from PunchLab app wk1 workout1 Jab & Straight) SUN phone was having issues and app restarted my plan
17 minutes (from Kassandra Evening Yoga Movement day 5 Relaxing Yoga Stretches Before Bed, YT) 1st time
63 minutes (from 3 dog walks 3.96 mi)

Wed 6/23 168 minutes
12 minutes (from walk to/from chiro)
7 minutes (from SanFran Fitness rebounding 5 min Mini Moves Series Day 6 Strong Shoulders, YT) 1st time
6 minutes (from L. Brooks Summer Swing Challenge day 2)
12 minutes (from C. Jordan Hamstring Tendonitis Pain: Exercises That Will Help Heal Your Hamstrings part 2, YT)
11 minutes (from 1.0 mi for Run With Hal app 15k Base Training Plan day 45, treadmill)
9 minutes (from H. Clare Run Better With Yoga -Best Exercises for Piriformis Syndrome, YT)
16 minutes (from L. Brooks BSR Month 1 Week 4 Strength 4)
18 minutes (from L. Brooks BSR Month 1 Week 4 Conditioning 4)
31 minutes (from J. Michaels Body Revolution Phase 1 Week 1 Workout 1)
12 minutes (from Strong Knees stretch)
34 minutes (from 2 dog walks 2.24 mi)

Thu 6/24 22 minutes
22 minutes (from 2 dog walks 1.7 mi)

Fri 6/25 80 minutes
7 minutes (from L. Brooks Summer Swing Challenge day 3)
14 minutes (from Crossrope Swing Into Summer day 3)
17 minutes (from 1.51 mi for Run With Hal app 15k Base Training Plan day 47)
11 minutes (from H. Clare Runner Better With Yoga -Post-Run Recovery Yin Yoga for the Hips, YT) 1st time
31 minutes (from 3 dog walks 2.42 mi)

Sat 6/26 8 minutes BAKING WITH FRIENDS Run With Hal app 15k Base Training Plan day 48 rest-done
8 minutes (from 1 dog walks .68 mi)

Sun 6/27 25 minutes Run With Hal app 15k Base Training Plan day 49 rest-done
25 minutes (from 2 dog walks 1.71 mi)

Yesterday was grocery day and I couldn't get myself to run in the heat when I got home from that. I finally ran my 2.5 mi at 8:50 last night then did Caroline Jordan HHT exercises and then Helen Clare's piriformis exercises and quick post-run yoga. I took too long between sessions on my PunchLab app workouts and it wants me to restart week 1 again but I think I will just wait a couple weeks when it will be easier to commit to it. I'm also taking a couple weeks off from the kettlebell paper workouts I've been doing. Planning to finish up Lauren's swing challenge this week and do some jumping rope and TTSL workouts plus running.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-21, 04:12 PM  
Vantreesta

Yesterday's workouts: Before breakfast I did a 15 minute Leslie walk that showed up in my YT notifications the other day and a 10 minutes Kassandra yoga practice. In the afternoon I did glute activation, swing challenge day 4, Crossrope challenge day 4, TTSL weekly workout #183 The Git Up scaled (4 RFT: 11 seated pullups, 12 plank burpees, 13 med ball tossups), TurboFire Stretch 10, 1 mi run and Kassandra's Evening Yoga Movement day 6.

Getting myself to do anything has been a struggle but I did finally get some housework done today. Haven't worked out yet but I WILL!

Gibbee, it was good to hear from you. I'm so sorry the hits just keep coming for you and your family. I can understand why working out is a chore right now. I plan to finish the swing challenge this week. My dad was here the week it started so I postponed.

Cheryl, I hope you get your mojo back soon. It's tough to get back on track after a break, whether it's forced or by choice.

JB, I hope your wrist feels better soon.

Karen, hope you've gotten some rain and are staying cool enough.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness

Last edited by Vantreesta; 07-01-21 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Oops. I need to read better, changed from shoulder to wrist, JB!
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-21, 06:37 PM  
karjoy
VF Supporter

Gibbee so good to hear from you! I have missed you. That’s terrible about your Mom in law’s mobile home. Sheesh. I agree—sounds like you are neck deep in stuff to take care of. I would feel overwhelmed. How is your daughter and her husband?

I rested yesterday and today ran 4 miles after work in the swamp. At least it was cloudy.

Vannie what was your KB swing challenge? A friend and I did a month of swings
late last year. We started off at 20 or 25 a day and at 30 days we were up to 100 which is killer. Do you do a lot of jump rope workouts? Those are super tough I think. 168 minutes last Wednesday. You’re a machine!

Cher are you guys going to the cabin for the 4th? You know, at Burn we do everything in small groups of 3-4 and rotate often to different stations so it does
not seem too bad. I often watch to see how others modify things if I can’t do something easily. And your “team members” cheer you on or groan with you.
I think I’m glad I am still working. I love my DH enormously but not ready to spend every day all day together.

Jbliff I hope your wrist is getting better.
karjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-21, 09:11 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Cher:I am so sorry to hear that about your MIL. I know how tough it was to care for DH when his body was giving out and then to watch him struggle in the hospital mentally after the two heart restarts during the surgery. I can only imagine what your SIL deals with... and it's all hard work. Glad Joseph is doing well! Darrell? Well, he's a guy, so there's that... maybe he's just struggling to find his new schedule.

Karen: DD and her hubby are doing okay. They've had their struggles adjusting to their house and marriage and some issues w/his family. I have tried to lay low to let them settle in. They are supposed to be helping me w/ my FIL's house but lately they have been absent. I get it. It is a chore, but hopefully when this intense heat alternating with massive downpours of rain passes we can make some quick progress. The house has only one small window unit (FIL got rid of the one in the living room a while back), so cooling the house is nearly impossible. You work up a sweat just standing there. The neighborhood isn't particularly safe so I can't just leave the front door open and some windows open to encourage circulation unless someone is there with me. Some things I cannot and will not do while I am there alone... like go downstairs without a phone and a friend nearby. So many details. I honestly just pick one thing (sometimes legal, sometimes monetary, sometimes medical) and try to deal with it each day. I am grateful that my MIL still has two living sisters so they are helping her salvage a few things from the mobile home and locate either a replacement home or another living arrangement. I have to work full time and my plate is overflowing as it is.

Right now I'm signing a contract w/a company to replace my roof this fall. I SO hate to do this all alone, but I have no choice. Thankfully insurance is covering about 80% of it.

Vannie: I am glad you were able to enjoy some time with your dad!

I have been trying to be deliberate in spending time with my mom as she is only a couple of months older than my FIL and she seems to be more fragile now than six months ago. It is a struggle for me sometimes because I have a need to be alone for a bit after work (so very, very noisy in our temporary offices) and it's difficult to be patient with her as she is hard of hearing and gets annoyed at the tiniest of things. I guess it is a sensation like being trapped and yet I love her and want to be with her. I think sometimes she doesn't understand. Not sure that she should. I think it's everything all piled up and the grief is just the icing on the cake. Losing my FIL just started the whole grief process all over.

Karen: Your workouts are amazing. Have you ever tried any Caroline Girvan on YouTube?

JB:I hope you are staying cool!

Check in: Yesterday was Epic Heat Day 3. Today was Rick Bhullar's Uplifting Walk and Cathe's Extended Chair Stretch.

If you haven't tried the Uplifting Walk by Rick Bhullar, you're missing out! He doesn't verbally cue so you can enjoy the music. I love this workout. It has been a lifesaver for me when I grew tired of 1 mile walk with Nick (from Leslie Sansone). Here is the link: https://youtu.be/9Hzc30Z-TSo
This probably sounds crazy, but sometimes for a brief moment during the walk, I can remember Darrell dancing at some dances with me in his (more often than not) gray suits ... and it makes me smile. Rick does a couple of steps that are like what Darrell would do when he danced.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-21, 06:07 AM  
Cher

Workout yesterday was Jenny Ford Walk Across America Delaware and the first stretch from Cathe’s Total Body Stretch.

Vannie - Wow, I’m impressed you talked yourself into running at 8:50 pm! I usually already have my pjs on by then .

Karen - We are going up to the cabin Saturday morning and will stay until Monday morning. We are going to my SIL’s tomorrow evening to watch the fireworks from their condo. It is on the water so you can see them good from there. I suppose have “team members” cheering you on (or groaning) when exercising would definitely make it more fun and keep you motivated.

Gibbee - Yes, DH is trying to find his new schedule. I just wish it wouldn’t include me ALL THE TIME. . I like spending time with him but he sure is messing with my schedule. I think your weather heads this way when it leaves you. It has been the same here. I don’t blame you not wanting to open doors and stuff at your FIL’s house if it’s not in a good area. Good idea to only pick one thing a day to deal with. I’m sure with working full time that is even hard to do a lot of days. I really notice my dad’s aging. He seems like it sounds your mom is. I love that Uplifting Walk by Rick Bhullar. Thanks for the reminder about it. Glad it makes you smile when thinking about Darrell dancing.