Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 09-30-21, 07:44 PM  
karjoy
VF Supporter

Resting today. My back has been bothering me a bit today and I did not get enough sleep last night. I have a tough trail race on Saturday morning and might rest tomorrow too. Yesterday was 45 minutes on the treadmill, actually quite pleasant.

We’re back to some heat and humidity but mornings are a bit cooler than the dead of summer and it cools off faster in the evening. Thank goodness.

If you have pregnant friends or family please encourage them to get vaccinated. One of my friends is a paramedic supervisor/RN and I saw him recently and they have had 5-6 pregnant Moms with COvID that had to have emergent C-sections in ICU due to Mom and baby going bad from COvID. I believe the babies all lived but not all the Moms. So sad.
karjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-21, 06:03 AM  
Cher

Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers and condolences. The funeral went well. It was short with just Darrell’s sister and brothers, my MIL’s only living brother and his wife, and the sitter that helped my SIL with my MIL for the past 8 years. My SIL got up and spoke and there wasn’t a dry eye in the place. We went to lunch afterwards (just us, SIL and her BF and one of my BILs) and then went to my BIL’s afterwards. It was a long day but it was nice. We had talked about going to the cabin today because Joseph is off today but I think we are just too tired after this week to get ready and drive 2-1/2 hours to get there.

Karen - My MIL was 84 years old. That is so sad about the pregnant women that had complications from Covid.

Waves JBliff, Vannie & Gibbee.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-21, 09:01 AM  
JBliff

Hi all. My workout yesterday was a lovely hike in the Shenandoah National Park. We hiked to the Rapidan Camp which used to be Herbert Hoover's getaway when he was president. It was about 4.2 miles on very rocky terrain with lots of elevation changes and lots of waterfalls. The weather was just perfect -- lower to mid 60s and sunny. We had to cross several streams and ended up at the camp right when the guided tour began. We were able to go inside and view the house too.

Cher - I'm glad the funeral went well.

Karjoy
- Good luck on the race tomorrow. So sad about the pregnant women with COVID.

Waves to Gibbee and Vannie.
JBliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-21, 05:39 PM  
Vantreesta

Today I did Jenny Ford Zombie Step Aerobics. I was surprised I actually followed along so well...after I stepped on my own foot! Combo 3 of dead leg repeaters will probably haunt me tmrw as I squatted low enough to touch the 6" step each time. I really enjoyed this and got distracted some bc I was having fun watching the zombies behind her! So glad I finally have a setup that allowed me to do this workout.

I followed that with Lesley Fightmaster's Glowing Yoga Body Workout (Halloween Vinyasa) 30 Minute Flow. I have missed Lesley and loved that she had fun with this and made me chuckle several times with her howls and ghost noises.

Fun day! I hadn't worked out since last Friday bc I've been too distracted with all my decorating but it felt good to get my heart rate up and sweat it out!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-21, 11:04 PM  
Vantreesta

Cheryl, I'm glad the funeral went well. I definitely can understand feeling tired after everything. It takes a toll emotionally anyway and if you're more of an introvert it can wear you out even more being around people more.

JBliff, I'm jealous of your hike! It sounded beautiful.

Karen, good luck on your race tmrw! I'm jealous of that too! I can't remember if you've said, do you use a slam ball in any of your workouts? I saw a 20# one at Walmart today and was tempted but I wasn't sure what weight I should start with.

Thinking of you, Gibbee!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 10-02-21, 04:52 PM  
Vantreesta

Today I did Brad Belote Halloween Workout Dance Fitness 2017. It was really long at an hour but I also haven't done a single workout that was that long in ages so there is that. There were some fun moves in it but the sound quality was so bad that I had my TV up just a few notches below full blast to hear the music and even then it wasn't always easy and sometimes I couldn't understand him very well. (But full disclosure, I have one ear partially plugged thanks to sinuses or allergies and I had 3 fans blowing on high, so your results may vary!) I probably won't do this one again. I didn't know some of the songs, which definitely took away from it for me since I listen to Halloween inspired music all the time! By the time Another One Bites the Dust (love this song) came on right before the cooldown I was quite over the workout and just did my own thing. The first 40 or so minutes are dancey cardio and then he does some unweighted strength stuff. I followed it with Strong Knees 7 minutes to save your knees and stretch.

Old 10-02-21, 06:48 PM  
karjoy
VF Supporter

I had a wonderful time at the trail race today and did better than I thought I would. It was humid as heck and hot but it was so beautiful with lots of fall wildflowers and beautiful views of a big lake. It was also very hilly and very tough. Glad it’s done. It was 20K or 12.4 miles. Saw a lot of runner friends.

Jbliff your hike sounds wonderful, especially in 60 degree weather. So glad you can hike on nice fall days now. Always great to get outside.

Cher it sounds like the funeral and time with family was emotional but good. Funerals and burials are never easy it seems. It does sound very tiring to go to the cabin after all that.

Vannie we use a slam ball at Burn a fair amount. I find it difficult to use more than 15#. For one thing, higher weight balls are just bigger and harder to handle.
I start to have poor form if I use more than 15#. I would honestly start with 10#. Here’s a good ball exercise: stand in a slightly knees bent position. Do biceps curls holding on with both hands. While you do them squeeze the ball as hard as you reasonably can. This works the upper chest and medial triceps too. Harder than it sounds.
karjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-21, 08:46 PM  
Vantreesta

Karen, nice job on the race! 20k on a hilly course is quite an accomplishment! Especially in heat and humidity, ugh! Thank you so much for the slam ball info and exercise to try. I am so glad I asked first! I suspected 20# would be too much so I'm glad I held off. I may be going to a different town next week so I'll see if their Walmart has a 10# one.