Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 05-30-21, 06:31 AM  
JBliff

Total Max Mixers - Week of May 30

I can't believe it's almost June already!

My workout yesterday was Fit Split Shred Cardio/Push Day.

Vannie
- Thanks so much for the recipe. It looks really good and I'll have to get DH to make it for me. He's the pancake king! We'll for sure reduce the amount of sugar as you did. I have some sprouted oatmeal that cooks in 8 minutes. Would it work for the recipe or do I need to buy instant oatmeal? Your breakfast sounds super nutritious.

Karjoy - We're in the 50s today after all the rain yesterday. The weather is just crazy.

Hi to Cher and Gibbee. Have a good Sunday.
JBliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-21, 05:49 AM  
Cher

Nothing still but walking. I go to my next appointment on Thursday so I will probably get the okay for more then.

Vannie - Those pancakes sound yummy. Good job on your Murph retest.

Karen - That humidity down there is something! We get it here to but usually the humidity goes up and down here every few days here not constantly like down there.

JBliff - Thanks for starting us off for the week. We only had a high of about 45 on Friday with rain, it was CHILLY! But, by yesterday we were 68 and sunny and today is supposed to be 72 and sunny.....just perfect. By the weekend we will be mid 80’s.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-21, 07:27 AM  
JBliff

My workout yesterday was a walk with DH + 40 minutes on the elliptical.

Cher - Great to hear you're still doing well. Did you have any adjustment period with the eyes? How are you enjoying not having to wear contacts and glasses? We were in the 50s yesterday but should be in the upper 70s today and then back up to the 80s the rest of the week.

Waves to everyone. Have a good day.
Old 05-31-21, 08:22 AM  
Vantreesta

Happy Memorial Day with so much gratitude for all the soldiers who have given their lives so we may be free.

I am doing my Murph tmrw. Still waffling btwn doing a half or a full. Reading the other ladies' posts in the app have me wanting to crush a full but I'm not sure that I can do that many pushups and pullups.

JB, I don't know if sprouted oatmeal will work for the pancakes or not (I've never even heard of it!). I use the quick oats called for in the recipe that take 1 1/2 minutes to cook in the microwave (not instant oatmeal packets). I think the main thing is the oats need to be absorbing the liquid by the time you cook them. Maybe you could try them with sprouted and let the batter rest before cooking them? I really am only guessing here. Thank you for saying that, it feels nutritious!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-21, 09:55 AM  
karjoy
VF Supporter

Yesterday I did an hour on the treadmill with Peloton. Those sneaky Peloton instructors threw in some HIIT and a few intervals. Today I am going to do a 30 minute recovery workout on the mill. I signed up for 6 mos of Cathe streaming since it includes all her Live workouts and I saw a strength work with the band that looked good. I can hook up to any of our TVs with the Firestick.

Painters are at our house! We are having some interior rooms painted and they really need it. We were surprised they are working on Memorial Day but they said they are so busy that they need to.

Vannie they are doing a Murph at Burn Boot Camp today. But a few of us are doing running speed work on Tues am and I just cannot do 2 really intense workout days in a row now that it is hot. A lot of my rucking friends are doing various Murphs with their ruck on. Ouch!

Cher I’m glad that you are having nice walking weather. 72 degrees is perfect. I heard about the cold and rainy spell in the Northeast but sounds like you got some of that weather too. Is your vision good? When will you go to the cabin?

Jbliff pancake lover here too! I will check out the recipe. Does the sprouted oatmeal look like regular oat flakes? A new favorite bread of mine is made with sprouted grains. Very tasty.

I am thinking about an uncle of mine who was killed in the Korean
War. He was a medic and was killed by a sniper while tending to his wounded comrades. So very sad and I am grateful to those soldiers who paid the ultimate price.
karjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-21, 06:35 AM  
JBliff

Hi all. DH and I hung out with our friends most of the day. We did take a nice long walk in town with them so I'm counting that as my workout!

Karjoy
- Sorry to hear about your uncle. That's pretty sad. The sprouted oatmeal looks pretty much like regular oatmeal. Here's the kind I have: https://onedegreeorganics.com/produc...d-oats-ft6u4m/

Vannie - The Murph workout looks super tough. Kudos to you.

Waves to everyone. Have a good day.
Old 06-01-21, 05:59 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

JB: HI! Thanks for kicking off this week.

Vannie: I am going to check out your recipe links! I don't cook much anymore but I just might do a pancake.

Cher: Hey! Hope vacation was awesome.

Karen: Is it warming up in Florida?

Check in: Sorry for the absence and silence. My father in law passed away unexpectedly in the early hours of May 20th. We went that Tuesday for a blood pressure check and he showed afib. They sent him to the hospital and all was well to go home when I left Wednesday night but they called me at 12:30 a.m. Thursday morning saying his oxygen was 60% and they needed to intubate him. He made me promise not to do something like that so we made him comfortable and DD, myself and Darrell's brother's widow (widowed in 1988) stayed with me until he passed. I was so heartbroken again. I am now wading through the murky waters of grief and also his legal matters, which are a mix of complicated and easy.

Workouts have been hit or miss. I miss weight training but lately I have just been so overwhelmed I'm lucky if I get a walk in. Sunday I did Stacked Sets Upper Body. Monday I did the Live Burn Sets Heavy Legs express. Today was Rick's Uplifting walk.

I hope you guys are doing well. I haven't kept up and I doubt at this point I can catch up. I miss you all. I keep trying to find a place in my life where I can get back to me... the me that I lost when Darrell passed. Hoping to find some semblance of her soon.

Waves to all!

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-21, 08:59 PM  
karjoy
VF Supporter

Glad to be hear from you Gibbee. Missed you around here! I was so sorry to hear
about your father in law. I am amazed you work out at all. Good for you. Post when it feels right. I’m glad you followed your father in law’s wishes.

Drive by: a little over mile run this am with 6X400 meters intervals after a 2 mile warmup. Then we finished with an all out very short sprint to fire up all the muscles.

See ya tomorrow.
karjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-21, 06:26 AM  
Cher

Hi everyone!

Doctors appointment tomorrow so I’m sure I will get the okay for more than walking. Yesterday and Monday were about 40 minute walks.

JBliff - I could see immediate after my surgery except I had a plastic bubble taped over my eye that I had to leave on until the next morning and my eye was dilated. After the dilation wore off, it was better but then I still had the bubble on. . It is weird how you can see immediately. The doctor said it continues to get better too as your eye heals. I have never heard of sprouted oats before either.

Vannie - How did you do on your Murph? Those sound so hard!

Karen - Enjoy your Cathe streaming workouts. Someday I will probably sign up for it again. Yay, on the house painting! Ours needs it so bad! As for going to the cabin, I’m thinking we may go up next weekend (not this one). That is so sad your uncle got killed in Korea.

Gibbee - So much has been thrown at you the last couple years. So sad about your FIL. ((Hugs))
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-21, 08:49 AM  
Vantreesta

Murph Report!!

For anyone who doesn't know, a full Murph is 1 mile run, 100 pullups, 200 pushups, 300 squats, 1 mile run. Hardcore is with a weighted vest.

We were at my father-in-law's for the wknd so I did mine yesterday instead of Monday. I did my own modified version as my running app called for 2 miles. I knew I didn't want to do an extra mile before or after a half Murph so I did full run, half strength.

My version:
1 mile run in 10:49 (I started off too fast considering all that was still to come so I walked for one minute during this mile)
10 rounds of: 5 seated pullups with bent-leg assist, 10 elevated pushups, 15 squats (to parallel or lower)
1 mile run in 11:37 (no walking)
Total time 40:49

Quitting never crossed my mind but man, I was so looking forward to being done! Surprisingly I had no trouble with the pullups, but the easier modification made a huge difference. I struggled mightily with the pushups, though, and eventually found an elevation that worked for me to keep going. In the 9th round of squats my left inner thigh started saying nasty things to me and promising me I couldn't finish the squats but I shut that noise down quick and finished with a narrower stance!

I started off by listening to the National Anthem, God Bless America, God Bless the USA, the Battle Hymn of the Republic and My Country 'Tis of Thee before I started and was crying before the songs finished. During my second mile I gave thanks for the sacrifices made by all the fallen soldiers and their families.

Kid Rock provided my soundtrack.

Looking for my next challenge now! I'm considering doing another CrossFit Hero WOD for the 4th of July.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote