Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 08-30-20, 11:06 AM  
JustSandra

Barefoot & On the Mat: September 2020 Check-In Thread!

Welcome to the Barefoot & On the Mat check-in! Starting this month we are experimenting with a monthly (rather than weekly) thread.

This is a long-running check-in at VF. You will find us to be a friendly group of diverse exercisers. Like the title suggests, we love to do our workouts barefoot, which includes not only yoga and Pilates but also things like Classical Stretch/Essentrics, mobility work, qigong, barre, even sometimes weights and cardio.

The welcome mat is always out -- we love hearing from new, returning and guest Barefooters!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-20, 11:11 AM  
JustSandra

Hi again!

I actually just noticed that almost all the other VF check-ins are doing monthly threads as well.

In conjunction with our decision to try out a monthly thread I've decided to focus my workouts around monthly themes. This month is going to be barre and fusion. I'll use Fluidity, Squeeze, Callanetics Evolution, some Ellen Barrett, some of Jessica Smith's fusion routines.

I'm also planning to resume outdoor walks (well, once the smoke from the wildfires clears a bit more). I won't try to go so long, but will try to do more walks per week.

Waving to all -- be back later with today's workout!

Old 08-30-20, 12:52 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Tamilee I Want That Body (Buns Program 1)
YouTube: Blogilates Muffintop Shredder Workout

That Tamilee Buns segment had a cardio effect. I'm sure I'll feel it tomorrow from the Sumo squats.

Last night my DH and I saw a movie that we both enjoyed called Ride Like a Girl. It's based on a true story about Michelle Payne, the first female jockey to win the Melbourne Cup. Her story was very inspirational.

Sandra, thank you for starting our new month of September!
Do you have a fluidity bar for your Fluidity DVDs?

Beth, what a pretty view during your yoga class! It's nice you were able to chat with some of your friends after class.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-20, 02:51 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sandra thanks for starting the monthly checkin! Maybe with everything going on it will be easier to do it this way. Hope the smoke clears in your area soon.

Paine I don't think I have heard of that movie. DH & I have been watching a lot of TCM because every time we check MOD there is nothing new.

I will be back shortly to report my workout week. Right now I just wanted to share this yin yoga practice that I did today that I really liked:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPFo...L&index=6&t=8s

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-20, 03:08 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Beth, I booked marked that Yin practice--thanks for sharing it!
Old 08-30-20, 04:43 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I'm back with my exercise week...and my first full week working (although still mostly remote) since May.

Monday
30MTF TLC - Workout #1, Boxing
Yoga for Energy & Stress Relief - Gentle Relaxation

Tuesday
Yoga for Energy & Stress Relief - Awaken & Energize
This was a "just do something" day.

Wednesday
Heather Robertson (YT) - 10m Standing Abs
Tracy Anderson (YT) - Method Express 1, Upper Body; Precision Toning 1, Arms
Yoga for Energy & Stress Relief - Soothe & Stretch

Thursday
Tracy Campoli (YT) - Best of Bat Wings
3-Week Yoga Retreat Deluxe DVD - Radiate & Shine

Friday
Barre3 (YT) - 5m TGIF; 5m Travel
30MTF Body Design - Stronger Upper
AM Yoga for Your Week - Forward Bends

Saturday
Outdoor yoga class on Lake Ontario

Sunday
Barre3 (YT) - 10m Kitchen Cardio
Tone It Up (YT) - Cardio Barre Arms Workout
Yoga with Kristen (YT) - Yin Yoga Side Body Stretch

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 08-30-20, 05:45 PM  
JustSandra

Hello once more!

Today's Workout: I finished out Series 1900 of Margaret Richard's Unplugged with episode 1926. I'm so thankful to this series for getting me through the August doldrums.

Tomorrow I'm planning to do WHFN Strong Bear, on loan from my local VF buddy. On Tuesday 9/1 I'll start my month-long barre/fusion focus (you know -- barefoot workouts!).

Paine: I do have a Fluidity Barre and I love it. My local VF buddy got it secondhand but then decided it wasn't for her. I traded her for it.

Waving to all!

Old 08-30-20, 06:45 PM  
cyana

Mon:
Nordic Track cardio/weight intervals - back and chest
stretch and a little qi gong on my own
Tues:
YT - LWR - 7 Minutes HIIT posted 8.23.2020*
Stretching
*This video is really only about 7 minutes long (historically if Lucy's videos were reportedly XX minutes long, that didn't include the warm-up and cool-down, so the total run time would be longer). You need to do a warm-up and cool down on your own (she provides a link to a cool-down). It definitely packed a punch in a short amount time.
Wed:
N.O. dump, 50 stability ball crunches, 20 back extensions on the ball
(really dragging - cat induced insomnia ) Had hoped to do qi gong after work, but work lasted until after 9 PM.
Thurs:
Nordic Track cardio/weight intervals - biceps and triceps
stretching on my own.
Definitely had DOMS the next day.
Fri:
YT - LWR - 7 Minutes HIIT - posted 8.16.2020
warm-up and cool down on my own
Sat:
Rest. Went to the farmer's market and got to hold someone's baby dachshund. And when I got home, the cat was sniffing my shirt, as if to ask "What is that WEIRD smell?????"
Sun:
YT - PahlaB - Day 1 of her new Intro to Body Shaping for Women over 50.
I was curious about the program, but just don't know that I can do Pahla's videos for 30/31 consecutive days.
YT - Easy Seated Stretch - Sleepy Santosha - this was a short seated practice but there was so much buffering I only did about half of it, before throwing in the towel.
Even worse cat-induced insomnia.

I'm jealous of everyone who has their September plan ready to go.....I'm such a rotation failure and I've definitely had a major case of analysis paralysis trying to decide what to do. I know work craziness will pick up markedly, so goal number 1 is to stay on track.

I've been working on a list of short Stealth work-out moves that I could do during my work day - especially on those long work days and/or when I've had insomnia and didn't get a full work-out in first thing in the mornings.

Sandra - I was going to head out for a walk this AM, but even by 10 AM it was so hot and humid, I couldn't make myself do it. Hope your air quality improves soon. I'm not hearing much about the fires this week - does that mean things are getting under control? I'll be interested to see what you think about Strong Bear. I'd thought about doing a FitPrime rotation in September, but I usually save that until the days are shorter and the bright cheery colors are much-needed.

Beth - Yoga by the lake sounded wonderful! I haven't done an outdoor yoga class in years. That YT yin practice sounded interesting with the focus on the lateral line of the body - hopefully I can remember to give it a try.

Paine - I remember years ago when I first did that work-out with the sumo squats - boy oh boy did I have DOMS!! I was doing significantly more difficult work-outs at that point in time, so it was a great example of how doing different moves can fry your muscles (in a good way).

Garrie - I hope work is less crazy for you this week. I'll be interested to get your thoughts on the new Cathe series when it comes out.

Anny - I hope your brother is making improvements. I went to some outpatient rehab sessions with my mom after a stroke, and it's fascinating (in a clinical/scientific way) to see all the different ways the human body can be affected by a stroke. I hope he has great therapists who will help him reach his full potential.

Waves to Carolyn. Hope Linda is feeling better.

I hope everyone's week and month gets off to a good start. I for one, will be happy to show August the door!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-20, 04:21 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Hi all - today was the first day of classes at the college where I work, so it was a hectic start with new procedures, etc.

I am still trying to figure out how to have "transition time" between the end of my work day and my workout time, which is why right now I am stalling before exercising, haha.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 08-31-20, 05:46 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Beth, I don't have any transition time issue and yet I'm still having difficulty with my motivation to workout. I couldn't make myself do it this morning.
Hopefully things will ease up at your work in the next couple of weeks.

Tags
yoga headstand bench