Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 08-03-20, 12:32 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Moms of school-aged kids and tweenagers, August-Sept 2020

Hi all! Figured I'd start a new thread to last two months. Maybe the next one can be for Oct-Dec.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-20, 12:38 PM  
TonyaK

Talking

Great idea, Pratima! We aren't posting much so two months per thread should work well

This morning I took the kids to the dentist and then went through a car wash, got a coffee from Starbucks, and got them a treat from Sonic. We went to more places than we usually do in two weeks! Corona time is so weird.

I hope to do some cardio and stretching today.
TonyaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-20, 01:00 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

So Tonya, did your school give you a choice? It sounds like that but I'm not sure. Ours didn't--we're fully online until further notice. The governor sort of threw up his hands and has left it up to the districts. They're supposed to get COVID numbers at the end of this week and decide what to do for August 17. After that day, they are supposed to provide some sort of "support" at the schools, which will likely be staff members (not teachers) with small groups of kids. Basically daycare but free and students can do their work there with some help.

I guffawed at the bars stopping at 10 PM. That just means everyone will pile in and drink earlier! The governor did extend the gym and bar closure here for another couple of weeks but at this point it seems he hasn't and never will do enough to really make a difference.

I've had a stiff neck for 3 days now. I can't tell if I pulled it, it's just general tension or caused by having to elevate my head at night so I don't get sinus pressure. Probably all three! It even migrated from the right to the left. <rolleyes>

Last week, my kids' first week of online school, was rough. Just took a while to get into the routine, and I'm frustrated that the teachers don't have a consistent setup. DS's sent out a little checklist schedule this week, which is awesome. I asked DD's for one and they said to just check every day. But some of the assignments aren't due until later this week, and since we can't see them all early on, we can't plan. Plus one teacher doesn't name the assignments. She posts them as things like "Monday August 3" and then we have no clue what it is until we go look at it.

The kids are...a bit frustrated. DS so wishes he could go back. DD doesn't seem quite as frustrated but she's also not great with hunting around and really reading so I'm frustrated at/with/for her!

The kids do each have a couple of friends they're playing with and got to see them Saturday. DD starts her new gymnastics schedule with a new team tonight. It's supposed to be a pretty big group so I'm a little apprehensive. If they have two coaches they can and will divide them up but it sounded like there really is only one coach for now.

I had 3 job possibilities and two fell through. Waiting to hear back about the third one and of course continuing to apply. The extra unemployment benefits ran out last week but I haven't gone through all the savings and stuff. So, in a way, it's all good timing because I can get the kids going at school before having to worry about a job.

I did get a spin bike and I love it! It's a Schwinn, so much cheaper than a Peloton, and my brother put me on his Peloton membership so I'm streaming those for free. I emailed the owner of Burn today about hopefully canceling or at least freezing my membership. I can't imagine when I'd go back and honestly it's insane to be paying $100/month for streaming workouts. They're offering classes in the parking lot which to me is nuts because a) it's super hot even early morning and b) is skirting but not really addressing the reason gyms are closed here. So, I hope I can cancel and not look back!

We're going up north Thursday. I will be thinking about that all week and hope it will sustain me!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Old 08-04-20, 10:32 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Hi Friends, sorry I've been MIA. My collarbone accident was 3 weeks ago. It was the most painful experience of my life, truly. Worse than childbirth, worse than c-section. I broke it in 4 places, had surgery 2 days later. I am now held together with screws, plates, duct tape and twine! I have missed my mom SO MUCH.

DH left Sunday for three weeks, and my dad is staying with us. Our church and neighbors are bringing food, and dad is cooking on the off days. The house is filthy, but we're doing our best.

The school district announced fully online learning in the fall. The mom of one of DS2's classmates organized a pod of kids to learn together in the fall. I signed him up. Because of his disabilities, he won't be able to participate fully, but he will at least have some time with other kids. I know there is risk associated with that, but he has been so lonely! We feel like we have to take mental health into account. DS1 has a few more social opportunities than DS2, so it's a little easier for him.

Mbramer, so good to hear from you! I'm sorry to hear about your divorce and state of flux that you are in right now! I know the divorce was long in coming... I hope things settle down for you a little soon. Hugs!

Tonya, I feel the same about being thankful I'm able to be home and direct the kids learning and the house hold in general. The whole thing is hard for everyone, but I know we are blessed compared to many!

Pratima, I hear you on the mental load. I am finally getting my family to take more on. My injury has been helpful in that way, at least! I hope you don't have to break anything to see improvement in your family! I hope a job materializes soon. You certainly seem to be getting a lot of activity job-wise at least!

Ok, I think I've reached my limit for typing and sitting up right in a chair! It's going to take at least three months for me to be somewhat back to normal. I know I have lost a lot of strength and I've gained back about 5lbs, so I will need a full intervention when this is over. At least by then the weather should be cooler. It's so nasty here.

PS--Pratima, my brother moved into his house in Gilbert last week! I'm coming for you one of these days! xoxo
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-20, 09:56 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Hi Friends,

I've been trying to do barre3 workouts, obviously modifying quite a bit. I'm really sick of my sling! I just took it off now while I type. I know I still need it, but it makes my arm so stiff.

Regrettably, I had to give up my physique 57 subscription. It is going to be a long time before I will be able to do one of those workouts again, and even though I had good pricing, I couldn't justify paying every month and not be able to do anything! So I cancelled. Barre3 is working out nicely, though. The pace is slower and I can usually do at least part of a workout. It's just enough to keep me moving.

Are any of you struggling to keep your spirits up? It just feels like every day is so lather-rinse-repeat!

Anyhoo, hope you are all doing well. xoxo
Old 08-11-20, 11:55 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Stephanie, I absolutely understand how you feel. DS says every day is Monday! And not in a good way. I was talking to a friend yesterday how initially it was crisis mode. We felt like we just needed to get through the rest of the school year after spring break and then things would be better. Then it was the summer. Now school has started. Each change is a new set of challenges, and I feel like rather than coming together, each one tears people apart more and more. The current challenge is of course school. People here think it should be open, teachers should be back, etc. The governor is all over the place, the Dept. of Ed seems to be opposed to him, it's very stressful.

Gilbert is so close! The street that forms the western boundary of our neighborhood is the dividing line between QC and Gilbert. I am literally in Gilbert on one side of the street and in QC on the other.

HOW did you break your collarbone? I fractured mine when I was 6 and someone jumped on me. I can't even picture how it happened to you. I hope the recovery goes smoothly and am glad you have help!

When do your kids all start school and do you have options? It appears mine will be online until after fall break (mid-October). It's so weird, it's like I lost my job at just the right time, if there is such a thing.

We were up north over the weekend and it was SO nice! Well, other than an afternoon of me being annoyed with DH. The only things i wanted to do there were paddleboard (which we did) and hike. He got up so late Saturday and took forever to get ready (the kids and I were waiting around) the parking lot was packed. We ended up doing a little loop at a park and I did eventually tell him why I was annoyed. So we hiked Sunday. I guess next week I'll lay out my hopes ahead of time!

The kids seem to be settling into their school routine. Every week has been different, with minor schedule changes and additions of small groups. They at least know how to navigate it all now. I'm taking a tiny break from job applications this week. Feel like i need to regroup after my three failures.

I seem to be shifting my workout preferences too. I'm annoyed with Burn Bootcamp lately. They're doing their best to be open, skirting the rules in some ways by doing parking lot workouts. They reopened the actual gym yesterday but then I saw the governor sent out something about staying closed, and other gyms are closed, so who knows. My contract goes until January and I plan to cancel.

For now I am doing the workouts, interspersed with running and using my new spin bike. It's so nice to have that with the heat and weird ever-changing schedule.

Hope all are well! I need to email mbramer and see how she's doing!

Old 08-17-20, 04:29 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Hi all! I had those three sets of interviews that all fell through. I've started applying again and just finished putting together a sample storyboard for one company. I think the three I heard from last week were all recruiters. Anyway, nothing solid yet. The state did add back some extra funds for unemployment so at least there's that. And in all honesty it would be SO tough to work right now.

I feel mired in SAHM life and not very good at it. I spent half the weekend driving DD around, dropping off cookie dough we sold as a gymnastics fundraiser. Spent the other half working with DD on schoolwork. She fell WAY behind. I got her mostly caught up and am trying to help her come up with a system.

Think I cried almost every night last week. Just overwhelmed with it all I guess. Felt bad DD was falling behind and like I was "mean mom" with the kids ALL THE TIME. DH stepped in some, which helped.

I'm taking some time off from Burn Bootcamp. They, and my regular gym, actually just fully reopened. You have to book workouts in advance but I still have no plans to go back.

Going to do some spin, kickboxing, running, and maybe lighter weights. And swim! I missed lap swim last week and was so sad.

Several local schools opened up for in-person learning today. Mine will be home until at least fall break, so I have to sort this all out!

Old 08-21-20, 06:42 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima View Post
I feel mired in SAHM life and not very good at it. I spent half the weekend driving DD around, dropping off cookie dough we sold as a gymnastics fundraiser. Spent the other half working with DD on schoolwork. She fell WAY behind. I got her mostly caught up and am trying to help her come up with a system.

Think I cried almost every night last week. Just overwhelmed with it all I guess. Felt bad DD was falling behind and like I was "mean mom" with the kids ALL THE TIME. DH stepped in some, which helped.
I feel you, Pratima! Sorry to hear the job options fell through, but yes, it is going to be full-time to help with virtual school. I am dreading the start of school! DS2 needs full-time support, and DS1 needs someone to keep him on track. My dad needs something to do during the day, so he's offered to come over and just keep 1 on track. I told him he can just hang out and read the paper, just keep him focused on his work and off YouTube!

DH has been away for the past three weeks. I am so ready for him to come back! I am so sick of him being away. He's home most of the time now, but I think I have PTSD because he used to travel so much.

I'm off to do a short barre3. That's all I have been doing lately. Thankfully the weather has cooled off a bit. I have my follow-up with my surgeon later today.
Old 08-23-20, 06:43 PM  
TonyaK

Hi friends! I finally got a real workout in today. I haven't done much since I hurt my neck, though I certainly could have been walking and stretching!

Today I did STS 22 Chest, Shoulders, Triceps. I skipped most of the push-ups and it was very enjoyable!
I walked for a while with Leslie.
I did the first segment of 30 Day Posture from the app.
Finally, Cathe's chair stretch from IMAX4

It feels great to have moved so much, and I adjusted my weights so I will be able to move tomorrow (I think!). I did get a weird twinge in one shoulder. Hopefully it will not develop into anything.

Our air quality has been really low lately. There are tons of fires burning in the mountains and in California, so the air is smokey. I haven't wanted to walk outside much and breathe in the smoke! The sunsets have been amazing and strange, with the sun looking bright red most nights.

Pratima, we got to choose between in-person or remote learning. My kids start next week. We are trying to get them all set up, but I'm sure there will still be plenty of snags along the way! About 1/4 of the families at their school chose remote learning this semester.
I'm glad you have options besides your gyms! I wouldn't feel comfortable going to one right now. Two families in our neighborhood own small gyms and both have had to close them and find other jobs. It's terrible for them, but it's not a great time to have a bunch of people breathing hard together indoors!

Stephanie, how did the meeting with your surgeon go? Are you still in pain? I hope you are healing well and quickly!
It totally makes sense that you would dread DH being gone, after the long stints he was gone in the past.
Regarding spirits: I find that I will be totally fine for a week, enjoying all this time together, and then suddenly I wake up and I NEED 3 MONTHS ALONE!! I am definitely overwhelmed by being surrounded by loved ones all the time, and it makes me miserable sometimes. I cannot be my whole, true self if I don't have stretches of time to myself, to just putter around uninterrupted. I have always been that way and I can't change it. I'm also worried for the whole world with the pandemic and the spread of authoritarianism and people losing their jobs and sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep for hours.
And then I'll be fine for a week! It's nuts!

I hope this week will be a good one for everyone! I'm going to try to start a good habit that I want to have once school starts: get up early and exercise before school (it doesn't start until 9:00 this year). I have had a very bad track record with habits for several years now, but I'm trying again anyway!
TonyaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-20, 09:17 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyaK View Post
Regarding spirits: I find that I will be totally fine for a week, enjoying all this time together, and then suddenly I wake up and I NEED 3 MONTHS ALONE!! I am definitely overwhelmed by being surrounded by loved ones all the time, and it makes me miserable sometimes. I cannot be my whole, true self if I don't have stretches of time to myself, to just putter around uninterrupted. I have always been that way and I can't change it. I'm also worried for the whole world with the pandemic and the spread of authoritarianism and people losing their jobs and sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep for hours.
And then I'll be fine for a week! It's nuts!
Yes yes yes yes yes! I feel exactly the same on all counts. I was coping ok until this morning. I hadn't exercised or melt rolled in a few days and I was feeling really badly, so I just really needed to move this morning. I went into the home office, which I've really been working on to make it a nice space, and I couldn't get the sound to work on the computer. I tried everything I knew to do and couldn't figure it out and I lost it. I sobbed and sobbed! It was just the straw that broke the camel's back. So I calmed down and found DH and he figured it out (DS1 had messed with the settings and forgot to put them back the way they were.) I think I might need to get my own computer. I just want something simple. DH is such a techie, he is really into 'optimizing' stuff which is code for making things far more complicated than they need to be. I don't care if things are optimal. I just need to see and hear my workout. That's it. I hate how effing dependent we are on technology right now. It sucks.

So DH got back Sunday night, but he is working nights this week (2-10pm.) What that really means is that he's working all day, because in the morning before he leaves for work, he's on the phone with all his regular colleagues who are working a regular day. So I've hardly seen him, he's not able to help with anything around the house, but he's still generating dirty laundry, eating and cluttering up the house.

Gosh aren't I just a bundle of joy today?!

So I did a 30 min. barre3 and then a 15 minute Melt segment. I feel slightly better.