Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-20, 05:57 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Peloton v. Les Mills v. Studio Sweat

Has anyone tried all three of these? I have a Peloton membership through my brother's account (for free) and am currently doing a Les Mills trial. I like the variety of Peloton workouts and that you can easily search for say a 20 minute lower body workout.

Studio Sweat looks good and is only $10/month. Seems less polished than both. How are the workouts? Do they put out new content pretty often?

I love the Les Mills Trip workouts so may end up doing a year membership just for those.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-20, 01:08 AM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Here's one VFer's experience/comparison of Peloton vs. Les Mills:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaL View Post
I’ve had both, so maybe can help. Peloton is great if you use your spin bike and/or treadmill frequently. They also have a very nice collection of yoga, and I really like their meditation classes with Ross Rayburn. On top of that they have outdoor running and walking audio classes, short stretching segments, and boot camp classes that combine the treadmill and weights. Finally, they have great strength add-ons. Some are short upper or lower body workouts (15-20 minutes) and others are around 30 minutes, both bodyweight and weights. Then there are two programs. One is a marathon prep strength program and it’s great. I am not a marathon runner, but these are 30 minute workouts that are functional strength in a circuit fashion. They recently released a series with Andy Speer that is more of a muscle and strength building series. I don’t think you can beat the price, content, filming quality, and excellent music that Peloton has. Finally, if you’re into it, the Peloton instructors are super active on IG which can be motivating. Another great feature on the app is that when you take a class, even an older one, you can see icons of other people taking the class. Members rate the classes and there are easy-to-use search functions for instructors, length, and music genre. I use my old Johnny G spin bike, but am very tempted to get a bike next November when they have their Black Friday specials. For the record, I’ve had the Peloton app for over 2 years.

Les Mills also gives you tons of options. Traditional Les Mills Pump workout, yoga, spin, a great core class, kickboxing, their version of barre which is more traditional ballet, and Grit which is their take on Crossfit-type workouts. The music is good, but it’s cover tunes and almost all of the classes are the classes they film for the instructors, so there are big crowds in the forefront of screen. I found that while I love the traditional Les Mills pump workout, it irritates my rotator cuff, and the other workouts are a little too intense for me. It’s unfortunate because I love seeing all of the international presenters and the music is pretty good. However, I’ve tried LM twice and didn’t stick with it for more than a month.

Hope that helps! Let us know what you decide.
From this thread:
http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=227536
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-20, 03:13 AM  
IceQueen07

I had Studio Sweat for over 2 years and really loved it. Great for spinning. I know now they have other workouts also. I may actually re-subscribe again, good value.

While I know a lot like Peloton, I just couldn't get into it, the instructors to me were just too happy and peppy, just not my style. Music was good for the spin and they do have a lot of content.

Les Mills I had in the beginning, but after a while it is just the same thing over and over and I got bored.

I think they each offer good content, it is just which you click with the most.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-20, 06:43 AM  
Rhonda

I have Peloton and love it. I just have the app not their machines. I have my own treadmill which I use a lot now because of Peloton. I am more of a walker so the walking classes are great but I do venture into the running category also but do it at my own pace. The instructors are great as they give you ranges to be but also say do what you can.

I have an old Johnny G spin bike that I have been getting on and doing the short 5-10 minute cooldowns. Not into spinning much.

I had studio sweat but didn't care for it, not sure why but I just couldn't get into it but again it was more spinning and I just am not into that anymore.

Les Mills I did a year subscription and was doing well with it, doing the combat and athletic step classes throwing in yoga and some core classes. Really enjoying it but as someone else mentioned it started to feel like the same old thing over and over again. Plus I stopped using it after a few months. So I didn't renew my subscription.

The only one I do consistently is Peloton. I do something from that platform everyday. Even if only a 5 minute stretch.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-20, 12:58 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I agree that Peloton seems to offer the most for the money. My subscription is free since I'm on my brother's account so I'll definitely keep it.

adawn, thanks for posting that review! I don't recall seeing Grit, so I'll have to look for that.

IceQueen07 I think part of the reason I'm looking at the others IS because I need a break! I also feel like Peloton is great cardio workouts, but the strength work isn't quite as impressive. I do like being able to easily select, but since I access it on a Fire TV box, can't search like you can via the bike or iPad app. I will definitely use it (since it's free).

Did you feel like Les Mills didn't add much, or just that their workouts were all too similar?

Rhonda, have you looked at SSOD recently? They do have a lot of spin but it seems like they have quite a bit more now. I previewed a 20 minute YouTube this morning and am going to try it tomorrow.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Old 09-18-20, 03:24 PM  
TracyQ

How important is music to you? I really enjoyed the Studio Sweat on Demand classes that is until I tried Peleton. You can’t beat the Peleton music. My SSOD membership expires in December and I won’t renew it. I feel bad because I like to support smaller businesses but I never use it anymore since trying the Peleton free membership.

I haven’t tried Les Mills.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-20, 04:51 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post
How important is music to you? I really enjoyed the Studio Sweat on Demand classes that is until I tried Peleton. You can’t beat the Peleton music. My SSOD membership expires in December and I won’t renew it. I feel bad because I like to support smaller businesses but I never use it anymore since trying the Peleton free membership.

I haven’t tried Les Mills.
Well...I do select Peloton spin workouts based on music! But I haven't minded the Les Mills music. What is the music like in SSOD?

The other thing that puts me off a little is SSOD seems to lack polish. That in itself isn't horrible but the sets are cluttered. Seems like that could be distracting.

Old 09-21-20, 07:07 AM  
Rhonda

Just as an FYI - Peloton announced Barre classes. I think they are going to drop them in today sometime.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-20, 11:43 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
Just as an FYI - Peloton announced Barre classes. I think they are going to drop them in today sometime.
Yes! I see them in there. I'll definitely be trying those.

I did try a free SSOD workout Saturday. I'm leaning towards sticking with Les Mills (and Peloton). I didn't realize that on demand doesn't include ALL Les Mills releases. I can understand that they wouldn't have every single one available, but I would think they'd include more than what's there.

Tags
les mills on demand, peloton, studio sweat, studio sweat on demand