Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-15, 07:18 AM  
upperwside

Everyone has a right to post their opinion.. including you! People can be not nice sometimes.. do not let it bother you.. they are not friends so it does not matter. If you enjoy the instructor and most of her workouts.. then keep doing them. When you try one with moves you do not like.. substitute a move you like and can handle doing. Enjoy!
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-15, 07:35 AM  
Lannette

I bet there are others out there who share your opinion but are too shy to speak up. It's important for an instructor to know that not everyone is totally enamored with a new approach they're taking.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-15, 07:37 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I'm with you - I can't do burpee, jumpy, plankee type exercises even on my own time, and to attempt to do them at a cardio pace would put me in the hospital! So I don't do those types of workouts. If I had a favorite instructor who suddenly went all Insanity on me, I'd be disappointed as well. But people get very protective of their favorite instructors, singers, etc., and flip out over every criticism. I'm sorry you got "Facebooked."
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-15, 07:48 AM  
andtckrtoo

To be honest, the other poster was out of line. I'm so tired of cyberbullies. Having an opinion is one thing, but forcing that opinion down someone's throat is completely different. I'm enough of a curmudgeon that I will typically bite back, but not always. Sometimes it's simply not worth it.

You did the right thing in posting your opinion. I'll bet SBF wants feedback, especially if this is a change. No one gains anything from people who blindly follow them. Constructive feedback is critical to success.

If this is a user group and not moderated by the instructor herself, I would probably drop the group. If it's lead by the instructor, maybe follow but don't post for a bit.
Old 08-11-15, 07:52 AM  
thewriteway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Ugh, I'm sorry to hear this, but also not surprised. It sounds to me that you offered some constructive feedback. I'd say if you're enjoying the workouts, keep them up! But yeah, I'd probably back out from the FB group. That kind of group-think that leads to shutting people down who have an alternate opinion freaks me out. Sadly, as a culture, we're becoming less and less able to engage in respectful dissent.
I definitely agree! It seems like most people are too politically correct and gets their feelings hurt too easy. It was a relief to me when I expressed an opinion to a friend about something, and I said most people don't like that I have this opinion. And he was just like eh you're allowed to have them as long as you're not coming after me personally. Too bad others can't be like that...but now I think we're getting too off topic...
thewriteway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-15, 08:49 AM  
Suzan66

I didn't find your comment harsh or insulting to SBF at all. They are extremely protective of SB and her method which is fine, but her workouts just aren't for everyone. I think she is a wonderful person who is inspiring and I like how she is a big part of the FB group with her support and encouragement.

I got bored with a few months left on my 1 year subscription and didn't renew. The last few challenges I didn't just didn't "challenge" me.. I've worked out for a long time and 20 & 30m just aren't enough for me, but for some it is. I see now she has beginner and advanced options on the challenges which I think is a good idea. Maybe someday I'll subscribe again. I loved her lower body barre targets but got burned out on planks.

I'm sorry you got your feelings hurt.
Suzan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-15, 09:00 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I recently got my wrist slapped on an FB group. Someone asked if a product was worth buying and I said, no, I didn't think it was. I elaborated why and people got upset. Upon further reflection, I think I probably could have expressed myself better, but I was very shocked by people's responses. They weren't profane or terribly uncivil, but they basically said, 'we don't say anything negative here. Ever. This instructor changed our lives.'

Well, she changed my life, too, but I didn't think the product was good. I thought her other products were good, just not that one. I felt like someone was making a purchasing decision and asked for feedback, which I provided, but whoa, I really stepped into a hornet's nest and was basically accused of being a negative troll. I found the whole environment to be really weird, so I left the group and I'm sure they were all glad that I did!

I think some people are just so sick of the meanness and negativity online that anything other than sunshine and roses is denounced as cruel and uncalled for. But there is value in constructive criticism. It's harder to grow without it.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-15, 09:12 AM  
cherimac

No, not out of line. I have left that group and others where I felt like you could only express gaga love or be quiet about it. I'm all for being kind as I give constructive criticism but not being able to add comments suggesting a different type of workout at all isn't helpful, either.
Old 08-11-15, 09:16 AM  
Poodlepants

It's not just FB. It happens here for a select few instructors. I find it ridiculous, because I have long considered this a forum for consumers to discuss what's on the market--the good, the bad and the ugly.

ETA. My internet world just collided. OP, I think I just read your post at another, totally unrelated site. Too funny!

Last edited by Poodlepants; 08-11-15 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Adding a comment
Poodlepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-15, 11:22 AM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
To be honest, the other poster was out of line. I'm so tired of cyberbullies.
[...]
You did the right thing in posting your opinion. I'll bet SBF wants feedback, especially if this is a change. No one gains anything from people who blindly follow them. Constructive feedback is critical to success.
Too much of that ish went on in the commercialized (particulary live studio) all shades of spiritual, but active exercise included—yoga world. Guru worship (for a $price, too ...)

I finally, of course, realized that yoga (done as exercise) does not serve me in my current condition; and it is in low rotation - but not to kick it to the curb for months at a time.

I did not realize this happens with the women's (and some men's) answer to sport heroes: their video fitness instructors ... being so new to the game.
In the audio fitness world of the 80s, there had been NO internet and NO cyber mob behavior ... the nascent talk of the cable instructors had been easy, peasy too - take it or leave it, stuff ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
If this is a user group and not moderated by the instructor herself, I would probably drop the group. If it's lead by the instructor, maybe follow but don't post for a bit.
Thanks,

note to self: should I return active to Facebook ...

Ahhh, yuh, right. I'm X-ing the days off the calendar. This self-imposed prison is just too cushy right now ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sbf, suzanne bowen