Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-10-15, 07:14 PM  
thewriteway

Was I out of line? Opinion about SBF....

So I've been a subscriber to Suzanne Bowen's streaming workouts for maybe about 8-9 months now. I joined the Facebook group and have done the videos on and off, even losing six pounds in the post-Christmas challenge...whatever it was called. Overall, I've enjoyed the videos until recently...

I have done two videos in the last week and find that I don't much care for the fact that Suzanne seems to be joining the HIIT brigade and including plank jacks and mountain climbers in her workouts, along with encouraging fast paces and jumping. I'm still overweight, so that stuff isn't really easy for my body, and so I've expressed disappointment in this on the FB group. I only pointed out that I didn't like this new emphasis to the workouts...I didn't attack anyone who enjoys these workouts (which is pretty much everybody else), Suzanne or any of her clients who were in the video. Just said hey I didn't care for that particular segment.

In response, I got talked down to by a member of the group who said she can't believe I would say I was disappointed and didn't like the workouts when Suzanne had done so much for the Facebook group and put a lot of effort into the work. She said I could pick other workouts to do, which is true, but how do I know exactly what's going to be in a video until I put it on and try it? Am I missing something?

I don't want to cancel my membership just yet, but I admit I'm now considering it seeing as some of her followers are condescending to anyone who thinks anything else about a workout besides "it was amazing!" and "Oh, I almost died!" Couple that with everyone wanting more HIIT videos, and I'm starting to think of going elsewhere.

And oh yeah, I would never write this on Facebook, but Suzanne did irritate me a little in the cardio HIIT workout from last week. I remember after one of the segments, she was bent over huffing and puffing to the point where I felt distracted and irritated. It seemed a bit dramatic to me, as I've taken live classes where the instructor is into the workout but doesn't do that during a break. Weird...
thewriteway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-15, 07:34 PM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

That's too bad that the member of the FB group chose to respond to you that way. What about just getting out of the FB group for awhile? You could do your old favorite Suzanne workouts that you know don't contain the super intense hiit segments, and the comments or general atmosphere of the FB checkin group wouldn't bug you because you won't be reading them.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-15, 09:11 PM  
BunnyHop

If it helps, try and remember that the attitude you've experienced isn't unique to that one situation.

You're paying money for a service, right?

If it's not living up to your expectations, saying so isn't evil, nor is it an insult to the company or the instructor.
Old 08-10-15, 09:52 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I think that the reaction you received wasn't really unique or surprising. We've had "discussions" like that on VF about different instructors that in the past have gone pretty sour. Some people just support an instructor the point that they don't want to hear anything negative at all, valid or not.

If you enjoy some of the workouts on SBF, I agree that perhaps you should leave the FB group and just enjoy the workouts. If you're finding it isn't worth your $ or the workouts aren't to your liking any more...well, there's no shortage of other things to try.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-15, 10:21 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I think that the reaction you received wasn't really unique or surprising. We've had "discussions" like that on VF about different instructors that in the past have gone pretty sour. Some people just support an instructor the point that they don't want to hear anything negative at all, valid or not..
Oh yeah, a certain walk aerobics (and everything else under the sun) instructor comes to mind ,for me. How to make VF enemies ... I never got to try doing this on Facebook, for I have, to date, since early April '14 been as inactive on it as someone's garden slug ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
If you enjoy some of the workouts on SBF, I agree that perhaps you should leave the FB group and just enjoy the workouts. If you're finding it isn't worth your $ or the workouts aren't to your liking any more...well, there's no shortage of other things to try.
Note to self:

If I ever do get back active onto Facebook, just keep with the fitness instructor fanpages I'm already on.

Maybe one or two others ... if and only if I'm likely to post nice things ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-15, 10:50 PM  
Candiceena

What a bummer I am sorry this happened to you. I hate to say it but it does not surprise me because I have heard some "horror" stories like this, especially about FB groups.

I have found that for other situations like this, what has helped me, is to go back and read what I wrote - is there any way that my tone could have come across wrong? Did I use the wrong word or words? Maybe, maybe not. It helps me to check though. And I usually stick w/ the "kill them w/ kindness" rule. Maybe do a f/u post - explain that you didn't personally like that specific workout, but overall you love Suzanne's stuff & are happy that it's working out for others - after all, none of us, I don't think, want the rest of us/others of us to have a crappy time working out!

Sorry if this sounds too icky-yucky-pukey-positive, hehe. Maybe THEY are out on their forums posting the same thing, wondering if THEY were too harsh or whatnot. Sometimes it can be tough on the web, even after all these years of experience we all have with "netiquette" LOL.

At any rate - good luck I hope it works out ok for you and maybe just step away from the group but keep up w/ SBF, esp. the workouts you like! You might PM or email Suzanne direct and just explain your thoughts in a constructive manner. I know I personally wish the HIIT would quit. I want my hour long LISS workouts back. LOL. We need to speak up! JK JK, but you know, we can't be the only ones not a fan of HIIT, and I think instructors need to realize there are some loyal non-HIIT-lovers too.
Old 08-10-15, 11:13 PM  
thewriteway

I just turned 30 a couple months ago, so the Internet has been a large part of my life for over 15 years now. You'd think by now I'd know all the ins and outs of netiquette!

I like the idea of stepping away from the FB group but still doing the workouts, though, so I'll try that!
thewriteway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-15, 11:22 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candiceena View Post
I want my hour long LISS workouts back. LOL. We need to speak up! JK JK, but you know, we can't be the only ones not a fan of HIIT, and I think instructors need to realize there are some loyal non-HIIT-lovers too.
I want LISS if LISS means long-interval steady state ...

I realize that is not what that means ...
But, man, I really have to go off the popularity grid to find lengthy-interval type workouts ...

HiiT has to be a certain type of music and more likely, more or less self-directed to make it with me ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-15, 06:47 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Ugh, I'm sorry to hear this, but also not surprised. It sounds to me that you offered some constructive feedback. I'd say if you're enjoying the workouts, keep them up! But yeah, I'd probably back out from the FB group. That kind of group-think that leads to shutting people down who have an alternate opinion freaks me out. Sadly, as a culture, we're becoming less and less able to engage in respectful dissent.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-15, 07:17 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I am a current subscriber to SBF, although I do not participate in her FB group. If you mostly like her workouts, I would say don't let one person deter you. It is too bad that people cannot just respect the fact that everyone has a right to their own opinion.
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sbf, suzanne bowen