Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-15, 06:44 PM  
Psyche
VF Supporter

Talking The Helpful Thread

I was hoping that we could compile some of the vast wisdom of the VF population. I will start with some things that I have learned here (sorry I can't give credit to the originators, as I can't remember who they are!)

1. For workouts where you may be bent to the floor, put a mirror on the floor so you can see the TV reflection, thus avoiding a strained neck to look up to see what the instructor is doing. I use my mirror for TA (Tracy Anderson), CS (Classical Stretch), yoga, and the like.

2. For a sturdier theraband alternative, use the large rubber bands for furniture movers (http://www.amazon.com/44-Rubber-Band...s+rubber+bands) I use these for TA, tying off one end to change the length.

3. Make your own TA "airhoop" (okay, my workouts are focused on TA these days!) out of a child's hula hoop. Cut to make the hoop 18 inches, reinserting the connector and securing with duct tape (see picture below.) I got my hoop at the thrift store for 50 cents!

4. For DVD trades, put a section of bubble wrap in the plastic case to keep the DVD from coming off the spindle, to avoid scratches.

I'll try to think of more. Please add your tidbits!
Sheri
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0878(1).JPG
Views:	181
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	4225  
Psyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-15, 07:02 PM  
Tugger31

Spray a little furniture polish or WD40 on the bottom of your gliding discs if using them on carpet. They'll glide much more effectively.

If you have low back issues and struggle with bent over dumbell rows or posterior delt raises, sit it a chair and place a firm pillow (such as an accent pillow, something with not much give) on your lap and you can bend over that to support your upper body better.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-15, 08:09 PM  
Psyche
VF Supporter

Thank you Tugger31 - I wouldn't have thought about using polish on the discs!

Anyone else? There has to be more goodies to share!
Psyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-15, 09:33 PM  
patchworkpenguin

Perhaps not terribly helpful but interesting, nonetheless, a Cathe HS will float.

We have an old RV made before pullout steps, so I use the HS and four risers as a step, to the 'people door', we had a flood a year back and I watched the HS floating around in the backyard.

"An exercise in futility still counts as exercise!"

"There's a pattern to the randomness!" ~ Artie ~ Warehouse 13

"Weakness is hard, but weakness doesn't have to mean defeat!" ~ Lysa TerKeurst

"That's the only break you get, so I hope you enjoyed it" ~~Cathe, STS, Meso 2

patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-15, 01:28 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

patch - good to know.

speaking of super duper rubber bands.....Iron Woody Bands for pull-up assistance.

getting fitness items from Home Depot, like tool box for high step, wooden dowel, 2x4" to elevate heels, rubber insulation to pad your barbell.

ITA about the mirror for alignment and bubble wrap inside of the case.

...there's just thousands of tips that I gained from this site, mostly of the enabling variety. :-/ but still USEFUL and helped save money in the long run.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-15, 01:49 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyche View Post

4. For DVD trades, put a section of bubble wrap in the plastic case to keep the DVD from coming off the spindle, to avoid scratches.
Great ideas Sheri!
I especially like this one as I recently received a scratched dvd from it rattling around loose in the case. I have done many trades and this is the first time this has happened to me.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-15, 01:54 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I do a lot of reclined leg stretching while I watch tv. I started using two luggage straps snapped together and adjust as needed so I don't have to hang on to the strap. You loop it under your arm pits and around your foot and lay on your back. Presto....a relaxing passsive hamstring stretch! Lower your leg out to the side and you get an inner thigh stretch. Take it across the body, stretching your arms out to the side, you get a lovely twist and IT band stretch.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-15, 03:33 PM  
Kitten

I made a walk belt using rubber tubing and a fanny pack.
I took a scrap of fabric, hot glued it to the belt part of the fanny pack-leaving enough room for the tubing. I passed the tubing through the fabric and attached the handles. Best part, when you are not using the tubing, the handles sit inside the pocket part of the fanny pack.

The fanny pack was free & the tubing was bought at a yard sale.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-15, 04:02 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
Spray a little furniture polish or WD40 on the bottom of your gliding discs if using them on carpet. They'll glide much more effectively.

If you have low back issues and struggle with bent over dumbell rows or posterior delt raises, sit it a chair and place a firm pillow (such as an accent pillow, something with not much give) on your lap and you can bend over that to support your upper body better.
I would worry about oil getting into the carpet.
Old 05-21-15, 04:27 PM  
laurajhawk

HALF a yoga block when one (or two) is too thick and none (or one) is not enough....
I've only used these at a studio, but it seems easy enough to slice a block in half for home use.

Barefoot cardio on a sheepskin (cushy! and traditional for kundalini yoga. but yeah, made from a dead animal )

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote