Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-14, 09:19 AM  
pfhanna

Christmas candy???

I Christmas candy from people, who mean well, but don't know what else to get me. It is the thought that counts but I don't know what to do with boxes of candy that I don't want and will never eat What to do with unwanted boxes of candy, and what to tell folks who keep giving it to me????
Old 12-22-14, 09:29 AM  
Buzzer

I bring them to Christmas or New Years parties, give them to my niece/nephews, give them away as gifts... I never say anything to the giver, because in my mind they are happy to be giving me a gift and I don't want to kill that for them. I act thankful and happy, then set it to the side when they are gone.

Sometimes the candy sits in our house until another holiday, which is fine. Things like candy bars or snack candies I use for stocking stuffers or Halloween.

I'm not a big candy or cookie eater, so sometimes my option ends up being throwing it in the trash. Better there than on my belly!!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-14, 09:31 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

It's always a toughie. I just got a haul from the students in my science classes. It didn't bother me and I said thank you because those kids don't know me. I brought it home and dh and the kids ate the treats. In hindsight I wouldn't have brought it home and thrown it (discreetly) in the dumpster.

The one that bothered me was a friend who knows I don't eat candy and gave it to me anyway. This to me screamed "I don't care; I'm giving you this anyway". She knows I'm trying to kick the coffee habit and gave me that, too. Not sure if it was just what she was giving everyone, or if it was a vindictive, sabatauging (sp) action.

Our culture is so messed up with food.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-14, 09:34 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfhanna View Post
I Christmas candy from people, who mean well, but don't know what else to get me. It is the thought that counts but I don't know what to do with boxes of candy that I don't want and will never eat What to do with unwanted boxes of candy, and what to tell folks who keep giving it to me????
Tell them you're insulin resistant and the candy exacerbates the problem.

While it might not be a physiological truth, it certainly is a psychological truth, eh?

I'd give the candy to any one I encounter often--at the PO or at the coffee shop or at the gas station--anyone I say hello to at least twice or three times a month.

You could drop it off at a fire station for the fire men or at the police station for the patrol officers or detectives. You could drop it off at your hair salon.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-14, 09:36 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I will sometimes bring things like that in to share with work colleagues. I think it's great if you can give it to someone else who will enjoy it, but sometimes, you reach a point that you have to just get rid of it. It's tough to make these decisions at Christmas!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-14, 10:07 AM  
BunnyHop

Some people are just bad at gifting, even when they actually know and like you. I think it's probably just part of who they are, and how they relate to material stuff and generosity in general, not a reflection of their regard for me. Some people just can't think it through, especially when they're on a budget, in a hurry and on a deadline.

Others drop by the drugstore at the last moment to buy the leftover holiday candy on sale on the way to the house because they don't care enough to include you in their longer term shopping plans. Tacky and thoughtless and rude, but that's pretty much a reflection of the character flaws I already know about, so I try to use it as an object lesson in how not to behave and move on.

My dad has health issues and really needs to moderate his candy/sugar and sodium intakes, but inevitably gets gifts of candy, cheese and salted nuts at the holidays. I do what I can to shrug it off and control his access.
Old 12-22-14, 10:13 AM  
alisoncooks

I don't know what to say to discourage that sort of gift-giving, but you could always send your candy --depending on what sort it is-- to something like Operation Shoebox (candy for troops).

ETA: Also, many people may assume that -- even if you are known to eat no sweets -- that you splurge on holidays and such.
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-14, 10:22 AM  
pfhanna

Thanks for a bunch of great ideas of what to do with unwanted candy. I am always telling my neighbor I don't want candy, won't eat it, but still get it. It is the thought that counts but I don't want it. You guys have some great ideas of what to do with it, and I thank you.
Old 12-22-14, 10:32 AM  
ellaenchanted

I share it with people. I also keep it in the cupboard for PMS emergencies. I love chocolate but I am able to portion oit out without a problem. Cake on the other hand...

If you won't eat it or if it is a trigger food, then give it away or throw it out.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-14, 10:59 AM  
Sollamyn

If I had several gifts of unopened store-bought candies that I didn't want, I would probably drop them off at our local Women's Shelter. Or, I wonder, could you maybe donate them to Goodwill or some other charity?

Donna