Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-13-11, 01:14 PM  
acey

NYT article on ballet workouts

If someone posted this already, my apologies, but I did a search and didn't see it posted:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/12/fa....html?src=recg
Old 05-13-11, 01:37 PM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Interesting article. Thanks for posting!
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 08:44 PM  
Orlita

"At the front of the corps is Mary Helen Bowers..."

Uh....I don't think so. Maybe on planet Hollywood, but not planet VF.

But while I'm on the subject, anyone liking her 15-minute downloadable vids? Her voice is a too little girllish for my taste. Not sure I could handle it for long periods. But as a barre-obsessive, I'm considering...
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 09:07 PM  
daisysunshine

I AM! (waves to Orlita) hi!

I am slowly getting back into working out and I've done the total body and the arms (I have all four of them). The Swan Arms killed me. KILLED me. I can do Miranda, I can pretty much keep up with Tracy in the Mat workout, and Leah's is dooable.

This woman had me whimpering in the first set. I ended up doing two on 1 break, catch up on the last. (it's 4 rounds of 8 each exercise in most of the blasts). a VERY quick stretch and then continue. I am still feeling tingy in my arms and chest, and my sides are very much "Hello, nice to meet you"

My mom is moving so I barely have room to move, so I've not done the butt (I'm also very much chicken, as if my arms hurt that much, i'm sure that my butt and hamstrings would slay me).

I watched her on CNNMoney, and apparently in a very short time, she's received 8000 members on her site. (I think a bunch of it has to do with Natalie's shoutout to her during the Oscars). But I think for BALLET workouts I could see why she's in high demand. She's coming out with a dvd and more blasts (but not soon enough).

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 11:29 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Wow, that site is incredibly frustrating! "Watch a clip" on each of those doesn't show you a clip at all! It's just a marketing plug. Give us a real clip if you say "watch a clip", people!! Sorry, I've had a crap night and that just bugged me. Guess I'll wait and see what her dvd offering is.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-11, 12:09 AM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Wow, that site is incredibly frustrating! "Watch a clip" on each of those doesn't show you a clip at all! It's just a marketing plug. Give us a real clip if you say "watch a clip", people!!
I thought the same thing...It would be nice to see an example of what to expect if you want me to purchase. Guess I've been spoiled by clips at Collage and TotalFitnessDVDs.
Old 05-14-11, 03:47 AM  
Tan

I just did one of her butt downloads and she slayed me. Its more Tracy Anderson-ish - large range movements on all fours, but about a million reps. her voice is a bit irritating but I will put up with it for the killer workout. Makes Leah look like a walk in the park. I'm tempted to get the arms one now.
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-11, 07:21 AM  
Casswoman

I found her quote: For example, to replicate a dancer’s leg, she has clients strengthen their inner thighs, calves, and tops and insides of knees, but skip quads. “You can’t target your quad and expect it to be long and lean,” very interesting. I know many people find that certain of the barre workouts target the quads excessively.
Casswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-11, 10:15 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casswoman View Post
I found her quote: For example, to replicate a dancer’s leg, she has clients strengthen their inner thighs, calves, and tops and insides of knees, but skip quads. “You can’t target your quad and expect it to be long and lean,” very interesting. I know many people find that certain of the barre workouts target the quads excessively.
Odd - makes me think that's a workout instructor I'd skip. I turned to barre to help build my quads, since it was quad weakness that has contributed to my knee issues. For me, those have been the most helpful aspects of workouts like Ballet body and P57 - bringing back the quad strength I had lost. And I rejoiced when my quads became strong and visible again - I'll take knee health over long and lean any time.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-11, 10:16 AM  
desertMermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casswoman View Post
I found that interesting too. I think that sometimes when people find the work in their quads only, it's due to not getting the right position. That said barre does target the quads and hamstrings. And her ballet beautiful seems to skip both of these muscles (based on the quote). Is it a good idea to neglect muscle groups?
desertMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ballet workouts, barre, mary helen bowers, quads, swan arms, thighs