Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-08, 07:42 AM  
Libby

Are Squats hurting your knees?

I listen to health programs on the radio frequently and I have heard numerous orthopedic surgeons say that doing squats is really bad for the knees. I went to an orthopedic surgeon about 3 years ago with knee problems and I think he said my knee was osteoarthritic. Not sure. Told me not to do squats or high impact for awhile. I started taking Glucosamine/Chondroitin and my knee has been much better and I'm back to doing what I want. But I really don't want to cause any further damage.

What experience have you guys had? Do you find that doing squats has hurt your knees over the years? What leg workout tapes have you found that offer the best leg workouts without the squats and lunges in them? I know Karen Voight has a good leg workout in the Great Weighted Workout that is done on the floor lying down.

Thanks!
Libby
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 08:25 AM  
Carol_is_fit

Well, for whatever it's worth, and recognizing your situation may be completely different than mine and there may be a legitimate medical reason why you shouldn't do squats, here's my story.

I have basically no cartilage in either knee, along with other severe arthritic changes, and squats (among other lower body moves) have SAVED mine. IF you do them correctly ... and apparently that is the trick - doing them CORRECTLY - they work the quads which strengthens the knee joint. My orthopod told me to go for it, as long as I'm careful with form. I was told about ten years ago I'd be lucky to be walking by now. Seriously. I had a bad fall down the stairs in my home and tore some ligaments in my left knee. When they did the diagnostics, they told me all the long term damage I had in my knees. It's hereditary, so I wasn't all that surprised. Some snotty little resident told me I'd be lucky to be walking in ten years. Well ... guess what? Not only do I walk, but I have killer quads from all the strength work I did and continue to do ... and my knees no longer hurt. NEVER.

So ... I guess the point of this long rambling post is that one size does not fit all. As I said, your situation may be totally different than mine, and there may be a legit medical reason for you not to do them.

Carol
Old 05-06-08, 08:30 AM  
berry99

I'm in the same boat as Carol. Squats actually have helped my knee. I have had 2 knee surgeries and both of my orthopedic docs have recommended squats once I was able to do them. They also recommended lunges too. I do have a hard time with lunges so I do them maybe once a week and stop if anything feels weird. I guess that everyone's situation is different though and what might be good for one person, may not be good for another.

ETA - My response sounds a lot like Carol's which I didn't completely read before posting
Old 05-06-08, 08:30 AM  
KathAL79

I'd say squats done incorrectly can definitely hurt even healthy knees.

But I must add that in my case squats HELP my knees. About 8 years ago now my kneecap slipped out of place due to my innermost quadriceps muscle not being strong enough. Squats done properly with attention to engaging especially the innermost of the quadriceps muscle were an essential part of my physical therapy and remain an important part of my exercise program to this day to prevent this from ever happening again.

So basically I'm agreeing with Carol: properly executed squats can be invaluable to building and maintaining strength in the quadriceps, which in turn can help knees. But others may have other issues which complicate this picture.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 08:36 AM  
Libby

Thanks for your input

This is good news. Now I've got to make sure I'm doing my squats correctly. Any tips on that?

Thanks!
Libby
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 09:01 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby
This is good news. Now I've got to make sure I'm doing my squats correctly. Any tips on that?

Thanks!
Libby
Hold a soccer sized ball between your knees when doing squats. Never let your knee go forward past your toes. Never go farther down than quads parallel to the floor, (knees at a 90 degree angle) if even that far.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 09:04 AM  
Carol_is_fit

Libby, the key I've found in doing them correctly is to push your glutes WAY back. Also, make sure your knees are perfectly lined up with your toes, even if your hips are in turn-out. It's actually most comfortable for me to do them with my hips about shoulder width apart, and slightly turned out. But at the same time, my kneecaps are lined up with my toes, if that makes sense. That way there is no torque on the knee ligaments as you descend. I can do a very deep squat in this position.

Like berry99, I have trouble with lunges too, but I think it's more to do with my flexibility than with my knee joints themselves.

Carol
Old 05-06-08, 09:05 AM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy T
Hold a soccer sized ball between your knees when doing squats.
Why the ball? Is wider (or more narrow) dangerous?
Thanks.

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 09:08 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

If you can't do squats, you may be able to strengthen your quads with the leg press machine at a gym. Keeping your hips back behind your knees is much easier on them, and it's easier to do that on the leg press machine. Wall squats or squatting against the wall with a stability ball behind you is another option.
Old 05-06-08, 09:08 AM  
ellens2

The ball helps keep your knees straight. Another thing that has really helped with my knees is balance work on one leg. It's helped to strengthen the small stabilizer muscles reducing the strain on my joint.
ellens2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knees, quads, squats