Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-28-20, 12:20 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Exclamation July 2020 Self-Care Challenge!

I won't make it a check-in because that can be stressful sometimes.

What are some self-care things you have been doing? What do you need to do more of?

- I'm going to try to get back to the daily meditation. I was doing it first thing in the AM for years and then just fell off the wagon in recent months. Ironically, at a time when I need it the most. Maybe I need to change to before bed.

- I've had to snooze folks on FaceBook. People that I like but - enough with the political/social rants.

- Cut back on the news. Duh!

What self care choices make you feel better?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-20, 12:51 PM  
bubbles76

I'm not treating myself good at ALL lol! I need to get back to self care. I used to give myself pedicures. I did my first pedicure in months

Things I need to start doing again:
  • Dry brushing. Makes my skin feel and look amazing, and decreases visible cellulite.
  • Drink more water. I'm really good about drinking water at the office, but at home I don't keep up as much as I should.
  • Yoga. I have been doing yoga, but only 3 times a week. I want to get back to doing daily yoga.
  • Weekly face scrubs
  • Reading. I love to read, but haven't been making the time for it. For me, that's self care

Self care stuff I need to start:
  • Meditation
  • Journaling. I hear it's good. We'll see.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-20, 01:38 PM  
buffmama

Meditating - starting my day with 3 minutes. It's concrete and short!

I relaxed on the gratitude journal only to realize that it actually makes a difference - that's also only a few minutes a day.

I'm trying to let a lot of stuff go and have a focus on my daily intentions. Which sometimes become my weekly intentions when life gets in the way....
Old 06-28-20, 01:54 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Bubbles, the cool thing about "meditation" is that it doesn't have to be 45 minutes a day sitting folded like a pretzel. Short ones are good. One I love is to really enjoy my morning cup of tea. I take a moment to smell the tea aroma. Then, savor the first sip. Feel the warm mug in my hand. And be grateful that I have a delicious cuppa to enjoy.

You can do that with everything. Make your favorite parts of your day a slo-mo ritual.

buffmama, I'm too lazy to journal, sad to say. I agree that finding even the littlest things to be grateful for is a wonderful practice.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-20, 02:11 PM  
Sollamyn

It IS almost July, isn't it! I have been thinking about this, actually, so I'm glad you posted a thread about it.

(Lately, every time I use the work "actually," I think of Oscar from The Office, but I digress...)

1) A good friend sent me a copy of The Joy Diet by Martha Beck (it's not a diet, in the traditional sense, so,...it's okay) and she and I are going to have our own little book club via phone, text, email--whatever. Meditation is a part of the Joy Diet, so that's a plus, because I wanted to start meditating but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

2) Drink more water! Yes, Bubbles, ever since I have retired, I do tend to drink less water. When I worked in an office, I was very regular about getting my daily quota!

3) I have been keeping a journal all along, but I would like to focus on more positives instead of using it as a whine sheet. As someone else mentioned, a gratitude or blessing journal may be more helpful, I'm thinking.

4) I had been regularly walking outside during the spring months, but now that summer is here, I can't rely on that form of exercise (the heat and humidity are just not my thing!), so this week I have finally gotten more serious about indoor exercise and I'm planning to continue that effort. I would like to add more yoga to the mix. Still working on that.

5) Getting my veggies, eating less sugar.

Donna
Old 06-28-20, 06:21 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

I've been allowing myself to nap when I feel like it. Typically I would fight through it and tell myself to not be lazy but not anymore!

Meditation - yeah, I read about it, think about it and want to do it but never do. I feel intimidated with all the talk of enlightenment and mindfulness. I really, really don't get what it means. I guess I'm just not a deep enough thinker?? Maybe I'm over-thinking it? I don't know......sigh.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-20, 09:22 PM  
DCW

Great idea!!!

I started using my "good" stuff, teacups, glasses, wine glasses daily.

If a day is rough, exhausting and hard and the next day is harder, I soak my feet or I take some time to sit outside with candles and water. I listen to comedians to make myself laugh. I call my dear elderly relatives to hear wisdom and strength. Some days I weep. I pray. Every day I exercise.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-20, 07:55 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Oooh, thank you for starting this challenge!

I need something like this. Maybe it wasn't a great, killer workout day, but I can still practice some self care.

Thank you VV. And thank you for motivating me to dust off my Lee Holden collection.

My self care has mostly been getting away to the beach for a walk, or a walk around the neighborhood. Also meditating every day. I've also begun teaching myself to read tarot cards.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-20, 08:54 AM  
Demeris

• Prayer
  • Journaling
  • Daily reading from The Rule of St. Benedict
  • Daily scripture reading. I have a Bible that's been organized so that one can read through the Bible in a year. Each day has Old Testament, Wisdom Scripture, and New Testament readings.
  • Jill Miller's Tuneup Fitness downloads (they're between 10-20 minutes, and I can do them later in the day instead of in the AM when I do my workout)
  • Katy Bowman's Alignment Snacks (see note on Jill Miller)
  • Consciously practicing patience
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-20, 09:02 AM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I've also begun teaching myself to read tarot cards.
Nice! I don't know much about tarot cards, but they are intriguing! It's good to pick up a new interest!

Tags
self care, self-care, standing yoga