Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-11, 01:19 PM  
Fidget Queen

How many of you did the 1 Rep Max for STS?

Wow, three threads in one day! Sorry, guys.

So I'm planning on (finally) starting an STS rotation. I'm not in the best shape right now, but I plan on fighting through that. I need structure, I think. I am tempted to not bother with the one-rep max, because I hate making things more complicated.

At the same time, though, I realize that recording my weight during CLX allowed me to improve more quickly than I normally do. I'm usually not an organized/data collecting/data reviewing exerciser, so this would be new to me. Maybe it would make things less complicated?

How many of you did this or didn't do this? What was your experience?

Oh, and how much cardio do you recommend? As the mosquitos die down, I do plan on walking most days again, but would like to supplement that without burning out.

Thanks!
Fidget Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-11, 02:13 PM  
dela

I did the tests the first time through, but did not retest for additional rotations of STS. I think it helps tremendously to do the tests and to have an idea of where you should be lifting, there are a lot of weight changes, and just guessing I thought would have been pretty tough to get it right. Part of the program is about gaining strength, and a lot of people tend to lift lighter than they can, having those numbers written down kept me honest.

I never kept my eating quite right while doing these rotations, so did not have much weight loss, but I definitely noticed increased definition and strength.

However, one caveat about the 1RM testing, if it's the difference between doing the rotation and not doing the rotation, then I would say do the rotation with or without the testing, but try to challenge yourself more on the weights you use especially during meso 2 and 3.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-11, 02:20 PM  
Pascal

I did them the first time I did STS (6-mo rotation). The second time I did STS, I didn't take the 1RM tests, only did the 3-mo rotation and had much, much more fun!!!

I tell ya, STS really improved my strength. I haven't done the program in 2 years but I still can do pushups better than ever before and I really only do leg work once a week and still use the same poundage I did after completing the 6-mo STS rotation. I know the series has its faults, but I think it is a great program for increasing strength.

And though I don't think it hurts to do 1RM tests, I don't think it's necessary. You can still get an effective workout if you choose CHALLENGING weights.
Old 08-05-11, 02:33 PM  
EnglishIvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dela View Post
I did the tests the first time through, but did not retest for additional rotations of STS. I think it helps tremendously to do the tests and to have an idea of where you should be lifting, there are a lot of weight changes, and just guessing I thought would have been pretty tough to get it right. Part of the program is about gaining strength, and a lot of people tend to lift lighter than they can, having those numbers written down kept me honest...

However, one caveat about the 1RM testing, if it's the difference between doing the rotation and not doing the rotation, then I would say do the rotation with or without the testing, but try to challenge yourself more on the weights you use especially during meso 2 and 3.
Ditto. I definitely had better results doing the 1 Rep Max (did not have nearly as good of results with Cathe's other strength programs) but I would not let it keep you from doing the rotation altogether.

Similar to Pascal's experience, I also had impressive strength gains on this program. Push-ups & leg strength improved dramatically.
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-11, 03:26 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I didn't do it. I'm not the type. I had a general idea of what I could lift when I started the first week and went from there. Sometimes I lifted too light, sometimes too heavy, but I did keep records so I could tweak things the following week. I think the first week of each mesocycle is probably where you'll have to guess a bit. Good luck with your rotation.
Old 08-05-11, 03:46 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I didn't do it. I'm not the type. I had a general idea of what I could lift when I started the first week and went from there. Sometimes I lifted too light, sometimes too heavy, but I did keep records so I could tweak things the following week. I think the first week of each mesocycle is probably where you'll have to guess a bit. Good luck with your rotation.
Yeah, that.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-11, 04:00 PM  
mtngoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishIvy View Post
Ditto. I definitely had better results doing the 1 Rep Max (did not have nearly as good of results with Cathe's other strength programs) but I would not let it keep you from doing the rotation altogether.

Similar to Pascal's experience, I also had impressive strength gains on this program. Push-ups & leg strength improved dramatically.
This was my experience too. I didn't do all of the 1RM tests - just the ones that were rated most highly. Even though I had been working out for 30 years, I would have underestimated the weights I should have used. (It felt like I was getting good workouts using the weights I had been using for other workouts - this made me realize I hadn't actually been challenging myself as much as I had thought. I was maintaining strength, not gaining.)

My strength improved tremendously too. I think I was the strongest I have ever been after finishing my first 3-month rotation - and I was 52 at the time.

I think I need to do another STS rotation!

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-11, 04:32 PM  
PhyllisG

I did them and was glad. I found I could go much heavier than I had thought. It really wasn't such a chore once I got started and it went much faster than I had anticipated. I made a lot of strength gains with this series.
PhyllisG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-11, 05:07 PM  
Tugger31

I didn't do the 1 RM, but I can see where they could be useful. I think they can force you to lift heavier than you have normally lifted. But, if you're not afraid to go heavy and really be honest about how much you're challenging yourself, I dont think the 1 RM's are absolutely necessary. In some ways I think the thought of doing them leaves some ppl wit a dread factor, which is unfortunate b/c it's most likely holding them back from getting started on a really great workout program!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-11, 05:13 PM  
Hoodone

If you decide not to do the 1RM tests, here is what I would recommend: plan to do Meso 1 through 2 times (repeat each week twice). The first week just pick a weight that seems right, possibly a bit heavier than you might think. Take DETAILED notes, even if you have to stop your DVD repeatedly. Then the next week, adjust your weights accordingly and see how that goes. Then you will be able to enter that data into the workout manager and it should give you at least some of the exercises for the following weeks. Keep at this process and it should shake out pretty fast what weights you should be using. Those last few reps should be very challenging to finish, but you can do them, or maybe not the last one or two reps, and you'll know you have the correct weight.

I think the trap we all fall into is lifting lighter than we "should" because...it's less difficult! Programs like STS and P90X have taught me the benefits of lifting heavy. At the end of each exercise you should be thinking to yourself, "holy crow, that was hard!" then you'll know you are lifting heavy enough.
Hoodone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1rm, cathe, cathe friedrich, sts, sts weights