Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-02-20, 03:16 PM  
Terry

One of the things bone does is provide a storage space for blood buffers needed to maintain blood pH. It's been a loooong time since I studied this, but I think the only, or at least one of, the buffers is calcium.

Bone is not static. Our bodies pull from and add back to bone all the time. If your body pulls from bone more than it adds to bone, your bone gets thinner. This imbalance in give and take will take a lot of years to do significant bone damage because there are other things the body does to buffer the blood. The bones provide minor assistance to pH balancing.

Raising the pH up to blood neutral levels includes pulling from bone. If your nutrition is constantly pushing your blood pH down (to the acidic side), your body will be constantly pushing back in the other direction so that you don't get wicked sick and even die from your blood pH getting all screwed up.

I once read a book by a woman who claimed that she got rid of her osteoporosis diagnosis by going on a minimal protein/high plant intake diet based on the idea that proteins acidify the blood and a lot of plants, but not all, alkalinize the blood. (It's not too hard eating a ton of plants, but going low protein makes me constantly hungry so I just take my chances with my bones. Bones will not stand between me and my protein shakes, eggs, and cottage cheese, even if I end up having to carry the bones around in a wheelchair.)

The general stuff I read seems to indicate that Vitamin D supplementation, and maybe Magnesium supplementation, are more important than, or at least as important as, Calcium supplementation. I haven't read up on the Biochemistry so I just assume this info is correct. I've also read that the good forms for these supplements are Vitamin D3 and Magnesium citrate while other forms are a waste of money.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-20, 04:11 PM  
warriorprincess

I was diagnosed with osteoporosis at age 48. In the first two years, I was able to increase my bone density by 18%, over the next two years, it improved even more, two years later it had plateaued and a couple of numbers had worsened. Since then, it's been a steady decline, but still not in the osteoporosis range at age 61.

You said you didn't want to do the first two of these, which are likely the most important, but I'll mention the five things I did as a cornerstone of rebuilding my bone density in the first few years.

1. bio identical hormone replacement to youthful levels. pellets. I loved them.
2. aggressive supplementation. Not just calcium, but D, K2, Magnesium, zinc, boron, manganese... I rotated different brands of bone supplements which contained these.
3. heavy weight training, and impact exercise.
4. Ionized water.
5. Visualization. Every night and every morning in bed I would see my bones getting denser.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-20, 04:17 PM  
warriorprincess

I like this website:

https://www.osteopenia3.com

Old 07-03-20, 07:49 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I've got to ask my PCP about bio identical HT. The subject of HRT, in any form, has never been broached by any of my doctors. I wonder why?
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-20, 10:01 AM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I've got to ask my PCP about bio identical HT. The subject of HRT, in any form, has never been broached by any of my doctors. I wonder why?
Possibly because exogenous hormones can potentially exacerbate autoimmune disorders. However, there is some more recent research indicating that HRT may not exacerbate and even possibly improve RA. Increased risk of blood clots does remain an issue so your doctor will also assess overall risk based on your full medical history.

ETA: This article does an excellent job at explaining how/why estrogen specifically can affect various autoimmune disorders based on disease pathway.
Old 07-03-20, 02:20 PM  
warriorprincess

Most doctors are afraid there's a link between HRT and breast cancer, due to a huge study done with women on non-bioidentical hormones a couple of decades ago. Some researchers claim the study was poorly done, and others say that bioidentical hormones don't have the cancer promoting effects of synthetic estrogen.

No one in my family has had breast cancer, but my Mom and Grandmother suffered horribly with osteoporosis, so it was an easy decision for me.

Old 07-04-20, 08:58 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Warriorprincess, I love #5!

I understand why you chose that treatment plan. I had such a horrible experience with HRT that I won't consider it. But I can understand why you did.

Terry, I do take Vitamin D and magnesium. Maybe I'll add calcium and see if they work well together.
Old 07-05-20, 10:55 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Some newer research advises to add Vitamin K (MK-4 or MK-7) if you take supplemental Vitamin D and Calcium.

Vitamin D gets the calcium into your bloodstream. Vitamin K sends it to teeth and bones.

Without K, there can be excess calcification in the heart and arteries. That's why some women who overdid the calcium ended up with heart problems.

It's worth doing some research on the Calcium-VitaminD-Vitamin K connection.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-20, 11:42 AM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Some newer research advises to add Vitamin K (MK-4 or MK-7) if you take supplemental Vitamin D and Calcium.

Vitamin D gets the calcium into your bloodstream. Vitamin K sends it to teeth and bones.

Without K, there can be excess calcification in the heart and arteries. That's why some women who overdid the calcium ended up with heart problems.

It's worth doing some research on the Calcium-VitaminD-Vitamin K connection.
Thanks for this info, Alta! I will research vitamin K.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-20, 01:45 PM  
3ks

Look into taking Boron. We need at least 3 mg Boron per day. It is VIP for the structure of the bone.

Also, if you have joint pain (like I started having...especially my feet), begin taking the 3mg per day. It was a miracle for me. My feet no longer ache.

Jeff T. Bowles' latest book "The Miraculous cure for and prevention of All Diseases - What Doctors Never Learned" has a chapter that explains it.

That book is truly fantastic. Get it...like "Monk" would say "You'll thank me later."

Hope this information helps.

Kiddy

Tags
bone loss, osteopenia, osteoporosis