Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-08-11, 12:02 PM  
bonbon

Is High-Impact the only way to get into phenomenal shape?

I've started a rotation with Turbo Fire and then a rotation with Peak fit but after 3 weeks, I've had to quit both of these rotations. I enjoy them while I'm doing them and can keep up with the advanced modifiesrs, but the after effect is not what I want. I'm fatigued and achey and I start to dread the workouts themselves. With all the high-impact and xtreme workouts out there, I'm wondering...is this truely the way to get into fantastic shape (build bone density, improve cardio endurance, look cut, lean out) or is this the work of instructors, experts, and marketers to feed our appetite for the extreme (i.e. bigger, better, faster)?

At 44 I've set myself up with big hopes for Cathe's new offering: Low-Impact, fun and intense workouts that will yield results without the fatigue and achey joints.
bonbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-11, 12:13 PM  
Inchworm

I know what you mean. Although I get such a "rush" from doing intense workouts like those, I too feel literally exhausted and honestly I don't see anymore results with those than with others. I think it stresses my body too much and maybe that's why I don't see true results. Plus, I wind up with achy joints and issues with knees and hips. Seriously think I need one of those supplements that help with the achy joints and cartilage. If anyone has any ideas for that, please PM me!
Thanks,

Kelly
Inchworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-11, 12:17 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

What gets people into fantastic shape, fitness-wise, is consistency and progression. But the progression can be gradual.

I don't get the mania for "xtreme" workouts. To me it's obvious that they can be part of a healthy exercise program, but aren't meant to be done full-tilt every day. I'm sure even athletes schedule rest and recovery days/cycles. That's a problem I have with Beachbody's programs. Insanity, Turbo Fire, etc are all made up of similar workouts - of similar intensity - within each program. Mixing intensities and styles up makes more sense to me. Less stressful on the body and probably more effective in the long run.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-11, 12:18 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I think a little bit of high impact is good for building bone mass, but I don't think you have to go all out with it every time you do cardio. I do it, maybe once a week, or sometimes will add in some jumps at the end of my lower impact workouts. IOW, my philosphy is do some high impact, but not all the time.
Old 09-08-11, 12:19 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonbon View Post

At 44 I've set myself up with big hopes for Cathe's new offering: Low-Impact, fun and intense workouts that will yield results without the fatigue and achey joints.
Low-impact doesn't guarantee fatigue-free or ache-free; just ask a cyclist. As for impact, it does build bones, but you could probably get all you need just from walking.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-11, 12:21 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Spinning can be very intense with just about no impact. Did you mean high intensity, rather than high impact? People are always tossing around those two terms and they're not the same. And I don't really think wearing out your joints and constantly fighting fatigue are healthy components to being in "phenomenal" shape.
Old 09-08-11, 04:21 PM  
Demeris

Except for my yoot, the best shape I was ever in was 4 years ago (I'm closer to this now than I have been for the past 3 years), this was what I did:

Kundalini Yoga 3xs or so a week
Barre --callanetics and fluidity, mostly
and t-tapp

No high impact at all. No impact, at all

no aerobic intensity the way I used to feel doing step workouts or when I ran

now, all that said, what I ate probably had more impact on my exceptional shape than my exercise habits (85/15)
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-11, 05:42 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Gee...I hope not. I stay away...far away from high impact.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-11, 06:49 PM  
isebelleg44

I don't think high impact=phenomenal shape. There are 4 keys IMHO (not including any mental roadblocks)for physical transformation:

1. NUTRITION
2. STRENGTH
3. FLEXIBILITY
4. CARDIO CAPACITY

Hiking, power walking, biking, cross country sking are all intense cardio workouts that require no impact. You can even add kettlebells to the mix.

There are so many workouts out there. We all need to find something we like to do and stick with it. and Doing something you enjoy that challenges you as well is the key. Why kill yourself doing something that hurts & that you hate?

Edited to add, that you should deinitely not kill yourself everyday either, that will only cause you do burn out and get hurt. I'm learning that scaling back not only makes me enjoy my workouts more, but I also feel and sleep better. Plus I'm eating less as a result.
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-11, 12:00 AM  
Vee

You can get into phenomenal shape as long as you build up the ability to handle reasonable intensity, even without impact.

Swimming, resistance training and power styles of yoga (the Ashtanga Primary Series for instance requires pretty advanced fitness that some people who can handle high-impact may not be able to handle) are options I can think of, apart from the options already mentioned like spinning and hiking.

You can use resistance training instead of impact for bone density.

On the topic of extreme, non-impact workouts can be extreme too. I used to be an extreme-junkie and remember doing sessions of brutal weighted and body-weight training.

I have seen people who seem pretty phenomenally fit to me who dont train the extreme way.

I dont like extreme anymore. I like what I find reasonably-challenging workouts and I refuse to do any extreme ones anymore. I am not even close to phenomenally fit, but I think that has to do with my relative inconsistency now.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high impact, impact