Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box

Old 04-09-14, 04:00 PM  
SuzieC

Can someone suggest a good gluten-free cookbook with yummy recipes

Hi all,
My doctor REALLY wants me to drop gluten, for at least 1 month, to see if it improves some issues I've been having.
There are so many gluten free cookbooks on Amazon that I'm getting dizzy.

Can someone suggest a good all-purpose gluten free cookbook that has good recipes that I can make for the entire family? I don't have hours to spend in the kitchen, but I do spent about an hour making supper every night. I would like some baking recipes in it too, like gluten free bread (preferably for the breadmaker) and not an excessive amount of ingredients.

I took a quick look at Elisabeth Hasselbeck's book but put it down because I have no idea where I'd find gluten free rice bread crumbs. LOL.

Thanks for any suggestions!
SuzieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-14, 07:20 PM  
videofit

It's All Good isn't a totally gluten free cookbook but Gwyneth indicates which recipes are. I've made almost everything in that cookbook and it really is all good. Most recipes are quick to make and the ingredients aren't hard to find nor are they expensive despite what the tabloids would have you believe.

If you can't find some items you can easily substitute, i.e. use maple syrup or honey instead of brown rice syrup.

So many food bloggers have posted online recipes from that cookbook that you can try before you buy.

A website GP recommends is Food52. They have gluten free recipes as well as normal ones.

You can also search goop.com. She is always posting new recipes of all kinds.

There is no need to go gluten free if you don't have celiac disease. I did for three months because I wanted to see if it made any difference but it didn't. In fact, those gluten free products always gave me a stomach ache. Later I had a DNA test that showed I can eat dairy and wheat with no problem.
Old 04-09-14, 08:57 PM  
SuzieC

Thanks for the It's All Good recommendation. I bought it when it first came out but didn't really give it a thorough chance. I will review it again. There were some pages I bookmarked, I need to go back to it for sure!
I don't have celiac but I have an autoimmune disorder, hence the gluten-free "test" to see if things improve. I understand I have to give it at least a month. I need some really tasty recipes to make sure I stick with it!
SuzieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-14, 09:59 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Suzie, search for paleo cookbooks on amazon and look through them as much as you can to see which ones might click for you. Sarah Fragoso has a few "Everyday Paleo" versions available, Paleo Parents have a few, Hayley and Bill of Primal Palate, there are two versions of Well Fed. I have a bunch of them and honestly pick and choose recipes between them all, which leads me to my other suggestion..... google paleo recipes -- there are tons of recipes on line to browse through.

I have been gluten free since fall timeframe but lately have substantially increased my veggies, dropped eggs/dairy/soy and I feel so much better. The autoimmune protocol seems tough to follow, but I have found that by first taking smaller steps and then going in full swing, and all the time with the idea of healing in my head, it's not been all that hard. The gluten was easy for me once I realized it really did make a difference. Soy was harder since there's soy lecithin in most chocolate.

Good luck! Feel free to write if you need support or have specific questions or something.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-14, 08:09 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Here is a great blog: www.nourishingmeals.com

I have their first cookbook, The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook and it may be available in your library.

I also like http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/

Good luck - it is hard to avoid. I've been glutened by soy sauce (if you cook with soy sauce often, replace with Bragg's aminos or low sodium tamari sauce). I've been glutened by vitamins, my own thyroid medication, and often in restaurants.

If you're going to try it, I'd suggest not eating in restaurants for that month unless a restaurant has a specific gluten free menu. Something as safe looking as chicken tortillas in cornmeal tortillas can have flour in the sauce!

Good luck! I have two autoimmune problems and found out after all these years that they may have been caused by undiagnosed celiac. My joints are much happier off gluten - as are my skin, thyroid and brain!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-14, 08:32 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Jules Shepard is my favorite gluten-free guru. Right now, her site is down (http://www.gfjules.com/), but once it's up, she is totally worth checking out. (Apparently, she built her old company and the management of it decided to do things without her approval, so she's moving on to a new site and company. Sounds like the Misty Tripoli situation in some ways.)

Her cookbooks are good, but I prefer to just go search on her site. Her emphasis is converting/creating "normal" foods, including comfort foods, using gluten free ingredients. She gives lots of substitutions, including for dairy, and her recipes have had a better track record of turning out good than most cookbooks I've tried. Of course, I also use her flour and think that's part of it as well.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-14, 09:08 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Ooh, thanks Laura - I'll watch for her site to be back up!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-14, 10:35 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieC View Post
I don't have celiac but I have an autoimmune disorder, hence the gluten-free "test" to see if things improve. I understand I have to give it at least a month. I need some really tasty recipes to make sure I stick with it!
You reminded me why I went gluten free. I had totally forgotten my endo said some of his thyroid patients felt better. I have two and a half autoimmune diseases. I call my eczema 'half' because it comes and goes. I didn't notice any difference in how I felt. Cutting back on sugar made the biggest difference but I haven't totally eliminated it. I do notice I feel worse when I eat more like now with Easter candy all over the place. Good luck!
Old 04-11-14, 11:26 AM  
DI431

You can check celiac.com or just google gluten free whatever type food item recipe.I'm always looking for gluten free cookie or pancake recipies that dont require 9,000 types of different flour. I was diagnosed with celiac 2 yrs ago. I was having big time stomach and reflux issues. Since I dropped it, I have increased my bone density big time, apparently when you repair your digestive track you finally absorb vitamins and nutrients from food. It's a pain at first but once you know what to look for it get's easier. Plus there are some great gluten free items now, like I found Ronzoni gluten free pasta that is awesome. The first gluten free pasta I tried tasted and looked and smelled awful. Udi's pizzas are also so good but expensive. At first I printed a list of ingrediants that are OK and ingrediants to be avoided from celiac.com. Sometimes I have to go to a vendors website to check to see if they have gluten.
DI431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-14, 03:58 PM  
MsThistlebottom

Wish I'd noticed this post earlier! I don't have celiac, nor does DH, but our health has improved tenfold by eliminating gluten. These are my favorites:

Wheat Belly 30 Minute (or Less!) Cookbook

Against All Grain More recipes on her website.

Nom Nom Paleo Take a peek at the website too.

Elana's Pantry is a particularly good website, and she has a few good books too.

ETA: One more! These pancakes are amazing. My former wheat-loving DH likes them better than wheat pancakes. I usually add a tablespoon of powdered gelatin to give them a little more oomph.
Fluffy Little Almond Flour Pancakes

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gluten free