Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-14, 03:04 PM  
mwelters
VF Supporter

58 Here and still hot flashing up a storm. I admit the flashes are not as intense but they are annoying! My hair and skin are fine, insomnia is not. My husband just lays his head on the pillow and 3 minutes later just out like a light. Me 2 to 3 hours later just looking at the ceiling. Some nights I do sleep well but still feel tired during the day. Other parts of me are just falling apart but it's family genes and I got the worst of them. As for the dryness I am on Osphena and a once a week cream. I read that if you are avid exerciser it make vaginal dryness worse. YOU JUST CAN'T WIN!
mwelters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 03:09 PM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC View Post
Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer and, if I remember correctly, also an anti-inflammatory. The purpose of the coconut oil & vitamin E suppository is to lubricate internally - you leave it there.
It also has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 03:52 PM  
LAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Are bioidenticals horse hormones? Synthetic?
I don't take either kind and I am no expert, but here's my understanding: The "horse hormone" is Premarin and its ingredients include pregnant mare urine that goes through chemical processes. It is one of the drugs prescribed in "traditional" hormone replacement therapy (HRT).
Bioidenticals are derived from plants and although they tend to be thought of as natural (hey, horse urine is produced by nature too!), they are chemically processed as well (a yam doesn't just turn into estrogen without some intervention!), but they aren't considered synthetic.

Last edited by LAC; 07-16-14 at 04:20 PM. Reason: delete other content
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 03:56 PM  
LAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsThistlebottom View Post
It also has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties.
I didn't know this about coconut oil, but those are good things too!
Old 07-16-14, 04:39 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Thanks LAC. I wish a doctor had mentioned these things to me. I white knuckled it through peri and meno completely naturally. I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

From reading this thread I've been looking back at the last ten years during which I blamed a lot of symptoms on my autoimmune issues. I never once considered The Big M might be to blame for hair loss, dry skin, wrinkle surges, joint pain and bad changes in my posture from my scoliosis getting worse. Oh well I can't go back in time.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 05:20 PM  
LAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Thanks LAC. I wish a doctor had mentioned these things to me. I white knuckled it through peri and meno completely naturally. I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

From reading this thread I've been looking back at the last ten years during which I blamed a lot of symptoms on my autoimmune issues. I never once considered The Big M might be to blame for hair loss, dry skin, wrinkle surges, joint pain and bad changes in my posture from my scoliosis getting worse. Oh well I can't go back in time.
I can relate to white-knuckling it through. I can't use anything with estrogen or progesterone (doesn't matter if it is natural or synthetic) so I'm constantly on the lookout for other options. Even though we don't always find the answers that will work for everybody, I'm glad we can all talk openly about it and share ideas; it wasn't that long ago that menopause was one of those taboo topics that wasn't really discussed in polite company.
Old 07-16-14, 05:42 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
Check them out carefully. I am glad they work for some people, but they were my worst nightmare. Seriously.
Ditto. I sincerely wish I'd never taken them. I'm still paying for it.
ddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 06:27 PM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

I'm peri, although I haven't missed a period yet. I just wanted to say that I really appreciate the openness in this thread, since it's so helpful to know what may happen and what help may be out there. Thanks VF'ers!
Trixoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 08:37 PM  
BigBadBetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixoo View Post
I'm peri, although I haven't missed a period yet. I just wanted to say that I really appreciate the openness in this thread, since it's so helpful to know what may happen and what help may be out there. Thanks VF'ers!
I second this. My mom had a hysterectomy so she skipped many of the phases. She did HRT for a while. (This was before that controversial.) A lot of women on my mom's side of the family had needed a hysterectomy before menopause. I was lucky that Mirena saved me from one. My sister is 3 years older. Everything about her cycle has been completely different from me (and my mom). I doubt we would have a similar experience. My closest female friends are several years younger.

You ladies are the only ones with experience. I am 42 so it's coming. I am not sure exactly how I will know since Mirena eliminates monthly bleeding.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 08:51 PM  
KellyMarie65

I'm having an awful time. I am on BHRT and have been for a few years now. This year, emotionally, I fell apart. Became very depressed, excessive, extreme worrying, extreme anxiety/panic, it was like WAM!. So, I am now on an antidepressant, antianxiety and BHRT. It has not been fun. Prior to all this I also had trouble sleeping, dry itchy skin, PMS was worse, discovered I had Hashimoto's which caused hypothyroidism. I can't wait for this to be over. *sigh
KellyMarie65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, bioidentical hormones, facial machines, menopause, peri-menopause, self-esteem, skin care, vaginal dryness, vintage vfers