Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-15, 07:58 PM  
Fitbezzy

how to get back into exercise after mono?

I have been sick most of January and today I finally got an answer after a misdiagnosis-- I have mono. I'm in my mid30s so it's unusual to have it at this age. I'm reading that I'm going to have to take it easy for 2-3 months. I'm curious if anyone on here has gone through this before and how you eased back into fitness? What workouts did you do? How long did it take to get to a point where you could do a full workout? I'm so discouraged.
Fitbezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-15, 08:56 PM  
buffmama

I got mono when I was in high school and got really sick. If you've been sick most of Jan try and think of it as being almost half way through. I would start with walking/stretching/yoga 10-15 min a day. You'll know when your body can handle more but it needs rest to recover first. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-15, 09:21 PM  
JulieIL

Yikes- I am so sorry that you are having to deal with mono. I had mono in college- not fun to deal with at any age. Honestly, I would just do shorts walks & stretching/light yoga for a couple months. Good luck, & I hope you feel better soon!

Julie
JulieIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-15, 09:48 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I had mono in college. My brother also had it when he was in college and he developed liver and spleen damage. Take it easy and give your body time to recover! Maybe do some walking or stretching but I wouldn't push it.

Take your time and take it easy!

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-15, 10:11 PM  
sciencelady

I had mono also in my 30's. I had pretty severe liver and spleen swelling so they were warning me to avoid impact of jumping around or doing calisthenics or anything that may impact or press on my abdomen. It took several weeks to just feel strong enough to make it through the day. Walking, maybe light yoga/stretching with no deep forward bends, and just taking it easy till your strength and stamina start to return. Your body's working hard already against this virus, don't stress it further with exercise at this point.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-15, 07:24 AM  
Demeris

Fitzbelly, I'm so sorry you're struggling through this. I want to echo everyone else who says take it easy as you go, short walks, stretches. Once you build up a little more strength, move to gentle workouts.

Miranda Esmonde White has good stuff on her website and on youtube.

Teresa Tapp has something called TappCore that has 5-7 mins of restorative moves.

Joel Harper has a number of very short workouts, and you can work at your own pace/level.

The same for Mirabai Holland--gentle workouts where you can work at your own level.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-15, 08:36 AM  
poohpeggy

I would dig out all your beginner workouts. Try working out a little on the days your feeling up to it. You can always stop if its to much. It is kind of fun to revisit ones you haven't done in awhile. Also, you can always do a short ab workout. A strong core will aide greatly when you are completely well. Hang in there.
poohpeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-15, 06:19 PM  
Breezy Trousers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I had mono in college. My brother also had it when he was in college and he developed liver and spleen damage. Take it easy and give your body time to recover! Maybe do some walking or stretching but I wouldn't push it.

Take your time and take it easy
!
I agree with Jackie. Similar situation for me (college).
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-15, 09:15 PM  
Fitbezzy

Thank you all for the ideas. It's very reassuring to hear others' experiences with this illness. I definitely plan on not doing anything physical until I'm significantly better. I think it just is a nice distraction to imagine a plan for when that happens. Right now, I think I'm on week 3. It was only just caught now because I thought I had the flu at first and then the sore throat was misdiagnosed as pharyngitis. Anyway, what I'm reading is saying no physical activity for a month after the initial symptoms resolve. So I guess I'm looking at March before I can start the gentle walks, stretches and yoga.

I have no idea if my liver or spleen are swelling. I was diagnosed at urgent care and they were slammed at the time so not much time to chat. Hopefully I can see my regular physician this week... Either way, going to be very careful.
Fitbezzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exercise when sick, mirabai holland, mononucleosis, restarting