Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-20, 04:32 PM  
Leonana

Masks are mandated in most of my state. In my area, everyone is wearing a mask, and I haven’t seen anyone be rude about it thankfully. People seem pretty compliant here. Of course, I’m sure there are exceptions out there, but I’ve been happy to see my city follow the mandate.
Old 07-15-20, 05:28 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I don't get people who accuse others of "overdoing it." I guess they don't see or care what's going on in the hotbed states.

Oh well - you can't fix stupid.
I wore a mask at an outdoor farm stand and people looked at me crazy. No one said anything to me, but their looks said it all. Being outside doesn't make you immune! I was the only one wearing a mask and left quickly.
Old 07-15-20, 05:58 PM  
pgun3

I do not think it's a hoax, I think it is real. I have not yet wore a mask in public until my governor made me and threatened the stores to take their licenses. I am not concerned in the least that I will get it myself but deep inside I am more concerned with giving it to family and co workers if I were to get it. I do not think masks do anything to help the spread. I feel that the"experts" don't have a clue what is happening. I think that once November 3rd passes this whole thing will end.

I am sure I will get some hate for this post LOL
Old 07-15-20, 06:04 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I don't go out much but wear a mask when I do. Grocery store, post office, sometimes I skip it when going to the convenience store but I go really early in the morning. I will probably wear it anyway even if it's early.

If I need to go to the grocery store or Target I try and go first thing in the morning before it gets super busy so I can avoid people if possible. I like to go to CVS on occasion but the location I visit is always dead so that usually isn't an issue.

My library is back open which I am really happy about, but will probably just place books on hold and go get them when they are in, just in and out and no browsing for a while yet.

Aside from that I am still able to work from home, and hopefully it will remain that way.

For the most part I have been able to avoid most people and that is fine by me. I don't think this is going to go away anytime soon though.
Old 07-15-20, 07:29 PM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
I live in Chicago and most there are good about wearing masks. I decided to visit my folks in Southern Indiana and it is a whole different world here. Very few people wearing masks. Luckily my parents have a big house so I have my own bedroom, bathroom, and living area. It is so weird visiting and NOT hugging them, but I'm trying to be safe. No symptoms of being sick, but better safe than sorry. I've gone grocery shopping for them a couple of times and even employees of stores aren't wearing masks. Maybe 1/3 of people are wearing masks. I just avoid anyone not wearing them. And I'm the one getting strange looks for wearing a mask!

I hate that this mask wearing has turned political. Southern Indiana is a very red area and I can definitely tell by the reactions to masks. Luckily my parents are staying home except for grocery and pharmacy trips. I'm glad I came to visit to help my folks a bit. But it is eye opening to see the difference in red and blue areas of the country.
I'm in southern Illinois and it sounds like southern Indiana is similar. I'm fortunate, though, in that I do shop in a college town where mask wearing is a little more prevalent, but it depends on which stores you go to. Also, we do have events here where people don't seem to be wearing masks (I don't go, but I've seen photos), even though the event organizers publicly claim that masks are required. It's really a mixed bag. I belong to a Facebook group where people report the stores, services, restaurants, etc., where masks are required and where they aren't worn much. It's been helpful in my decision-making whenever I need or want to go somewhere.

Donna
Old 07-15-20, 08:50 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgun3 View Post
I do not think it's a hoax, I think it is real. I have not yet wore a mask in public until my governor made me and threatened the stores to take their licenses. I am not concerned in the least that I will get it myself but deep inside I am more concerned with giving it to family and co workers if I were to get it. I do not think masks do anything to help the spread. I feel that the"experts" don't have a clue what is happening. I think that once November 3rd passes this whole thing will end.

I am sure I will get some hate for this post LOL
I don't think you'll get hate for this post. I also don't think experts have a clue what is happening. How can they, this is all new! I think they know more than the average lay person, so it's good to follow their advice, even though it seems to change with the weather . I don't think the election has any bearing on the virus. I believe whatever was going to happen at this election, the wheels were set in motion well before this virus.

ETA: I just said "think" a lot lol!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 07-15-20, 09:24 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

pgun, you expressed your opinion without insults or name calling so I hope no one responds to you rudely. The comments that follow don't refer to your post specifically, however I don't agree that the election will affect the virus spread

I am confused that some people can't understand that medical researchers and experts don't have all the answers right away. There are many examples of how our methodologies of dealing with illness and disease have changed after extensive research over a number of years and it's only been months. So why are people so suspicious and see conspiracies everywhere if recommendations change, most specifically with respect to masks? I might be more skeptical if it was mandated to inject or ingest something but wearing a mask? Simple and no-brainer IMHO and it won't potentially adversely affect my health like drinking bleach. {insert the long-lamented Mr. Rolleyes} That said, I do agree that experts are winging it and finding out new information every day. I heard today that there is now some evidence herd immunity won't apply to this virus. So I'm just going to stay away from people as much as I can and wear a mask when I do.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
Old 07-15-20, 09:36 PM  
kiwichick

I don’t think your election will have an impact on spread either!

We didn’t get to the mask wearing stage in New Zealand - we had a very tough lockdown very early on and are now living normally. We are at alert level one which is back to normal life but the borders are closed. The only people allowed into nz are returning citizens and they go into a 2 week compulsory quarantine managed by the military. They are tested at days 3 and 12 and have to test negative before they are released into the country.

We have something like 25 active cases right now - all caught at the border and all in isolation.

While this all sounds great, our PM announced yesterday her plans if community transmission returns - we would be naive to assume it couldn’t happen. For all the people in managed isolation we still have workers in those centres who come into contact with them and there is always a risk they could become infected and transmit the virus unknowingly - you only have to look at what is happening in Melbourne to see the impact.

I guess that’s a very long way of saying that this is impacting the whole world, and we aren’t all going through this just to mess with your election! Lol!
Old 07-15-20, 10:01 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwichick View Post
I guess that’s a very long way of saying that this is impacting the whole world, and we aren’t all going through this just to mess with your election! Lol!
I know, right? Pretty narrowminded to think that people are dying and the whole world is going through this awful pandemic just to influence the American elections. We don't know when this is going to end, and November 3rd prediction as end-date is just ludicrous.
Old 07-15-20, 10:29 PM  
kiwichick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
I know, right? Pretty narrowminded to think that people are dying and the whole world is going through this awful pandemic just to influence the American elections. We don't know when this is going to end, and November 3rd prediction as end-date is just ludicrous.
Not to mention the economic impact - our govt has spent a huge amount propping up businesses, subsidising wages, increasing benefits, creating work opportunities, free trade apprenticeships etc over the past few months... we haven’t hit the recession we thought was coming, but the coffers have certainly taken a hit. People seem to be spending pretty normally but everyone will be nervous about the economy and a second wave until a vaccine is widely available. We have an election here in September and the handling of the pandemic and the economy will be the big talking points.
Closed Thread

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, face masks, masks, pandemic, what a drag it is