Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-20, 08:30 AM  
SpiritYogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar rose View Post
I have some questions about diatomaceous earth to get rid of bugs: Can you put it on noncarpeted floors? Does it have to be "food grade"? Does the non food grade type also work? Where do you get it (hardware store?) Thanks!
You can put it on any type of surface, even your countertops, in cupboards, etc.

YES, it must be food grade to ensure it is safe to use around humans and animals. Pool grade and feed grade are used for pools and animals only, respectively.

I buy mine at my local Tractor Supply, but have also purchased it at Amazon. You could probably also find it at feed stores.
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 10:14 AM  
warriorprincess

Since I use it mainly whenever I see a roach, I sprinkle it in dark crevices and corners.

I personally didn't find it to work on the type of ants that I get. I mainly have to be fastidious that there's no food sources to keep the ants out of the house. But when they do get out of hand, I use Quantum Ant Bait from DoYourOwnPestControl.com, recommended by my brother who does pest control for a living. It works great on my ants, but since it is a poison, I use it only when desperate. I will use it on ants that want to live under my patio tiles also.

I imagine the diatomaceous earth doesn't have to be food grade, but since I have a dog, I want to make sure if he licks it, it won't hurt him.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 06:17 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Thanks to all for this info! We don't have fleas in the house yet, but due to the mild winter we are concerned that it may be the case this summer. Also see a random roach now and again in our upstairs bathroom of all places. I had never heard of diatomaceous earth before this thread, and we have Tractor Supply stores so we could get it if needed.

As an aside, I read this thread a couple of days ago and that very night there was a question that mentioned DE on Jeopardy!
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 07:16 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

another flea-related question - what kind of vacuum do you have?

we own a rainbow, which uses water as the receptacle for the debris. It works good and we've always been happy with that brand.

I was considering getting the Dyson Animal stand-up plug-in style vacuum since it gets high ratings on amazon.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 09:11 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Chewy.com carries food grade diatomaceous earth. They ship fast and have excellent service.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bugs, cats