Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-26-09, 02:36 PM  
DejaDeb

An obvious answer would be to keep Kitty out of the exercise room, esp while exercising. But I know that last part is nearly impossible (yes, I've heard the pathetic scratching on the door and seen the paws stretched imploringly under the door to be let in.)
Old 12-26-09, 02:41 PM  
PLS

Kath,
What a fun post! Our dear kitty's 3 total, love workout time. Being nocturnal, 4AM seems to be kitty happy hour! our adoptive elder cat has his claws and likes to use my 6x9 rug as a scratching mat. A no no cures that. He luckily has never attacked my foam roller, mats, or any of the many balls we have. DH has however disabled 3 stability balls. He doesn't get the correlation between sharp objects like screw drivers for his computer and the ball. NOW, back to kitty land, at 4 I feed all 3 kitties and go to the basement for exercise, hungry? no way, they all follow me on my heels. They like to curl up in any small space that is left when dumbells are moved, cardio indicates it is time to roll around in the middle of the floor on their backs looking cute. Daisy brings her butterflies for throwing and fetching, yes she believes she is part dog. She finds bouncing on the rebounder a little fun but gets bored with that. Barre workouts- Lilly believes that balancing on one leg with the other lifted indicates its time to grab and attack the raised leg, not very productive for good form. And yes of course downward dog and sweat means it is time to rub kitty fir all over faces and to weave in and out of legs. All of the kitty's bat balls around the room and under the equipment, the more the better. But what a joy to behold! I especially like days when the sun shines in brightly and from the floor I can see bazillions of hair balls and fuzzies and dust deposited in a 24 hour period, to make me feel like I haven't cleaned in months.
PLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-09, 02:46 PM  
kali1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaDeb1 View Post
An obvious answer would be to keep Kitty out of the exercise room, esp while exercising. But I know that last part is nearly impossible (yes, I've heard the pathetic scratching on the door and seen the paws stretched imploringly under the door to be let in.)
Our cats must be related
kali1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-09, 04:32 PM  
KathAL79

Debbie, locking the cat out is the obvious solution, but I work out in a room with a door that doesn't latch! (Yes, the time-honored tradition of claiming an otherwise undesirable room.) Actually, most of the doors in our apartment located in an old house that's been a rental for a long time don't latch well.
My cat isn't the whiner who'll scratch at the doors. No, she'll run full speed into them to pop them open, or she'll throw toys at them (which is why all jingle-bell toys live downstairs away from the bedroom door).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLS View Post
Daisy brings her butterflies for throwing and fetching, yes she believes she is part dog.
My cat does this, too! I can see her little brain go, "Well, if the human's just going to sit there, she might as well do something useful," and the next thing I know she's bounding up the stairs with a sparkle (one of those crinkly foil-looking ball-like things) in her mouth. If I ignore her, it gets thrown at me. She freaked me out one day because I heard her wheezing as she came up the stairs, and then I realized she was breathing Darth Vader style through the toy!

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-09, 04:42 PM  
PLS

That is too funny with the Darth Vader breathing through the toy! I know all about the persistance of the fetch game. Daisy doesn't throw them at me, but she puts them right under foot and then weaves in and out in a figure 8 with her ever so persistant MEW, no she doesn't meow, she has a pixy mew! And lets talk about twist ties! it is like a drug to these cats, they run off with them any chance they get, Christmas morning there was brown packing paper strung out on the kitchen floor and of course several extra long twist ties! All three cats were in the kitchen batting , sliding, diving over and under paper. It was hilarious and they had a blast till DH took the twist ties away. "they are not safe for animals to play with"
PLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-09, 05:47 PM  
Rosalind
VF Supporter

a few more unintended cat toys

Firm Fanny Lifter or Transfirmer -- throne/vantage point from which to survey the realm. Or, underneath, secret lair to lurk in.

Rosalind
Old 12-27-09, 12:22 AM  
Loriann

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLS View Post
Kath,
And yes of course downward dog and sweat means it is time to rub kitty fir all over faces and to weave in and out of legs.
One of my kitties sits on the top of the sofa until I get into downward dog and then throws himself beneath my face purring and rubbing his furry face all over mine.

The other loves the step and sits beneath it waiting to bat at my legs as I am stepping. If he is not there he is sitting in the other unused risers waiting for his brother to walk past so he can pounce him.

However, I must lock them in the laundry room if I plan to use the incline on my treadmill as they try to crawl beneath it as it raises up and I am very afraid they will get hurt.
Loriann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-09, 11:42 AM  
KathAL79

Sounds like my cat would love a Fanny Lifter / Transfirmer. She's tried crawling on top of the DVD player and TV stand, but it just isn't as good.

I'm lucky she doesn't try to attack me while stepping; she just gets in the way with bath time. (She saves the attacks for the middle of the night, when I come downstairs for a bathroom or water run, or when I'm standing at the front door waiting for the kitchen to clear.)

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cats, workout space