Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 02-18-24, 01:51 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Unhappy Those crazy YouTube health hacks!

Apparantly, you can cure numerous ills (tinnitus, vision problems, etc.) with the common kitchen spoon. {rolleyes}

Drinking warm water at bedtime, consuming odd combos with coffee, etc. will melt fat overnight. Or, eliminate prostate problems. Or, cure ED.

I've been thinking about it and it seems to be a big commentary on the state of healthcare in this country. It's so hard to get doctors' appointments. Most of these doctors are too busy or too distracted to give you proper care. Plus, big Pharma insurance companies are running medicine in this country anyway.

People are desperate for help and I guess these free "do it yourself" hacks seem like a way to go. No matter how ridiculous they are.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 02-18-24, 03:34 PM  
furmomof6

Well, I'm not looking to start a debate or advocate "do it yourself" healthcare, but my husband's prostate issues were completely healed with homeopathic medicine, and certain herbs. We went that route because the conventional medicine he was prescribed was giving him horrendous side effects that he just could not live with. Without going into all the details, he did do this under professional guidance, we didn't just watch a YouTube video about it. But I don't personally discount some of the videos I see given his success. His quality of life is much better now, and his prostate is back to normal. His conventional doctor was in awe.

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)

Last edited by furmomof6; 02-18-24 at 03:37 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-18-24, 04:16 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmomof6 View Post
Well, I'm not looking to start a debate or advocate "do it yourself" healthcare, but my husband's prostate issues were completely healed with homeopathic medicine, and certain herbs. We went that route because the conventional medicine he was prescribed was giving him horrendous side effects that he just could not live with. Without going into all the details, he did do this under professional guidance, we didn't just watch a YouTube video about it. But I don't personally discount some of the videos I see given his success. His quality of life is much better now, and his prostate is back to normal. His conventional doctor was in awe.
Agree. Definitely not going to debate, but our health care is about prescribing pills. My husband has some very serious health issues and had a crisis last summer. We are being coached by someone and doing a lot of complimentary treatment, with success.

We're doctoring at Mayo Clinic, Rochester and the doctors are asking us what we are doing.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
Old 02-18-24, 05:35 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Apparantly, you can cure numerous ills (tinnitus, vision problems, etc.) with the common kitchen spoon. {rolleyes}

Drinking warm water at bedtime, consuming odd combos with coffee, etc. will melt fat overnight. Or, eliminate prostate problems. Or, cure ED.

I've been thinking about it and it seems to be a big commentary on the state of healthcare in this country. It's so hard to get doctors' appointments. Most of these doctors are too busy or too distracted to give you proper care. Plus, big Pharma insurance companies are running medicine in this country anyway.

People are desperate for help and I guess these free "do it yourself" hacks seem like a way to go. No matter how ridiculous they are.
Disclaimer: I don’t know anything about Jackie’s or Christine’s husbands’ health issues, so am not addressing that. I’m glad both of them are doing better.

I think there are a lot of unscrupulous influencers on YouTube, preying on people for a quick buck. Modern day snake oil salesman.

This video addresses your comment on healthcare, how doctors have no time to spend with you. This doctor stated that a lot of our health problems in this country could be eliminated with a healthy diet and exercise. Something we can all agree on, I guess.

https://youtu.be/IGuCJ5ntz5Q?si=tPF-eQn7H_BQLTW8
Old 02-18-24, 05:54 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post

I think there are a lot of unscrupulous influencers on YouTube, preying on people for a quick buck. Modern day snake oil salesman.

[/url]
I would agree that there are people taking advantage of people that are not feeling well, sometimes from the care they get from the US standard western healthcare. There are also doctors that are not willing to explore any kind of treatment outside of the standard of care that the health insurance or health care systems dictate. If there isn't money to be made with a treatment, doctors quickly disregard and discourage.

I am appalled with our medical bills.

I'm so glad we dug deeper and my husband is doing better.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
Old 02-18-24, 06:28 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I, too, believe in complimentary/alternative medicine. I have had many health benefits from self-acupressure, meditation, herbs and breath techniques. I am certified to practice Reiki.

My gripe is with the unscrupulous "influencers," shills and quacks. Many with zero background or education in either complimentary or mainstream medicine. They prey on the hopeless who have been ignored or left behind by doctors.

The often outlandish claims sound so great when one is desperate!

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 02-18-24, 11:27 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I, too, believe in complimentary/alternative medicine. I have had many health benefits from self-acupressure, meditation, herbs and breath techniques. I am certified to practice Reiki.

My gripe is with the unscrupulous "influencers," shills and quacks. Many with zero background or education in either complimentary or mainstream medicine. They prey on the hopeless who have been ignored or left behind by doctors.

The often outlandish claims sound so great when one is desperate!
I think there is a lot of benefit to practices that reduce stress and anxiety, as they can harm our health. Same with exercise, it reduces stress.

I think you’d like dr_idz on IG. He does reaction videos on unscrupulous influencers, using science. Bonus is that he’s pretty funny too. Foodsciencebabe does really good reaction videos regarding food. Labmuffin does the same for skincare.
Old 02-19-24, 09:00 AM  
Sollamyn

I just happened to come across this Youtuber one day (wasn't really looking for anything like this--just showed up in my Suggestions feed). I like her!

https://www.youtube.com/@AbbeysKitchen

She debunks a lot of the junk on Youtube and elsewhere, I believe.

I also follow the Nutrition Diva, Monica Reinagle, on Spotify. She often addresses food fads, diet trends, etc.

Donna
Old 02-19-24, 10:36 AM  
Leonana

Donna, thanks for the link. I think I’ve heard of her before.
Old 02-19-24, 10:46 AM  
Leonana

Well, I almost got this posted before getting the busy message. I guess I’ll keep trying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I would agree that there are people taking advantage of people that are not feeling well, sometimes from the care they get from the US standard western healthcare. There are also doctors that are not willing to explore any kind of treatment outside of the standard of care that the health insurance or health care systems dictate. If there isn't money to be made with a treatment, doctors quickly disregard and discourage.

I am appalled with our medical bills.

I'm so glad we dug deeper and my husband is doing better.
There are a lot of problems with our healthcare nowadays, especially the expense. It’s mind boggling. I’m sorry you have to deal with that. My issue is that my anxiety causes health issues, but they want to give me more medication. I don’t really blame them for that, they do have liability if they don’t offer to treat me. However, it’s stressful to deal with, which makes the anxiety worse.

I do think many medical professionals are doing their best, but are constrained by the system. And they do recommend something that doesn’t pay them anything, which is healthy lifestyle, diet and exercise. Unfortunately, most people in this country can’t seem to manage it. I’ve read only 20% of Americans eat enough fiber.

Tags
alternative medicine, complimentary medicine, health hacks, healthy lifestyle, medical care, youtube