Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-15, 01:29 PM  
flamingoo

TA Pregnancy project- when you're not pregnant???

Well those of you who have been following me lately know I'm recovering from a major foot surgery ( sorry if this is redundant) . I'm finally fully in a shoe and started PT this week. Although I'm walking with a limp ( crazy what no weight for 3 months does to you), I'm getting there! Any way, my workouts have been all over the place. I can't get into a grove at all. Sometimes my foot hurts more so it's nothing and sometimes I can go an hour. Tried Callanetics, but just couldn't force myself through it ( I tried, I really did ) I also want something to get my hear rate up a bit because I can't do cardio yet. I'm thinking about alternating TA with some Essentrics floor work. Thought about meta, but had better results with her more well rounded workouts. I want a little something more than Beginner's Mat so I was looking at either Perfect Design or Pregnancy Project. The problem I may have with PD is not being able to move to the next level. Have to take things kind of slow and can't do a lot of crazy moves( like chair ) Has anyone worked through Pregnancy Project? What are your thoughts? Also, should I work backwards and start with month 9 ? Thanks everyone. Appreciate your comments!
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-15, 02:42 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

I've been purchasing pregnancy workouts reviewing them with the "less intense" lens.

i'm surprised at how "intense" some of them can be:
Suzanne Bowen's
Erin O'Brien
Tracey Mallett

My plan is to write reviews on the pregnancy videos that I have and how a non-pregnant person can make the most of them. some of them don't seem like pregnancy videos to me!

I encourage other VFer's to post about their use of pregnancy videos as a non-pregnant person.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-15, 03:28 PM  
twinkletoes

Pregnancy Project is one of the only pregnancy DVDs I've kept and still do. I don't think Month 9 is any easier than the other ones--she just doesn't do any exercises lying on her back. I haven't done these in a while so I could be wrong but I don't think it matters what order you would do them in.

If I do one, I pick it by how long it is. One of them (can't remember) is an hour but the other ones are around 30-45 minutes.
Old 10-08-15, 05:28 PM  
pcramer

I love the Pregnancy Project!!! Month 1 she takes it a little easy due to any nausea, if pregnant, you may be having. Months 2-3 she takes advantage of the early months of pregnancy and has you moving more. Months 4-6 the focus is on lifting the butt. Months 7-9 the focus is on opening the hips. She does use the chair extensively but nothing crazy and none of these are "easy."

The instruction in these are fantastic, the pace and rep range is perfect. I can really focus on form and increasing my range of movement. I still sweat up a storm, have to take breaks, curse a little and tiny pregnant Tracy still kicks my tushy.

You can preview them here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wigY_Lrtf-U
Old 10-08-15, 05:30 PM  
flamingoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
I've been purchasing pregnancy workouts reviewing them with the "less intense" lens.

i'm surprised at how "intense" some of them can be:
Suzanne Bowen's
Erin O'Brien
Tracey Mallett

My plan is to write reviews on the pregnancy videos that I have and how a non-pregnant person can make the most of them. some of them don't seem like pregnancy videos to me!

I encourage other VFer's to post about their use of pregnancy videos as a non-pregnant person.

I hear ya! I remember previewing a different pregnancy dvd ( can't think of it right now) and thinking what??? I can't do that not pregnant!
Old 10-08-15, 05:31 PM  
flamingoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcramer View Post
I love the Pregnancy Project!!! Month 1 she takes it a little easy due to any nausea, if pregnant, you may be having. Months 2-3 she takes advantage of the early months of pregnancy and has you moving more. Months 4-6 the focus is on lifting the butt. Months 7-9 the focus is on opening the hips. She does use the chair extensively but nothing crazy and none of these are "easy."

The instruction in these are fantastic, the pace and rep range is perfect. I can really focus on form and increasing my range of movement. I still sweat up a storm, have to take breaks, curse a little and tiny pregnant Tracy still kicks my tushy.

You can preview them here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wigY_Lrtf-U

So would you recommend still starting with month one, even if not pregnant?
Old 10-08-15, 07:54 PM  
pcramer

I would, even if it is just the first day. If you can do all the reps on all the exercises with good form and execution, then move on to the next level

I hope you enjoy these as much as I do
Old 10-08-15, 09:53 PM  
Psyche
VF Supporter

I did Pregnancy Project after my hysterectomy - perfect! There is a thread somewhere that gives an approximate sequence of difficulty, not a linear 1st thru 9th month, that I followed.
Psyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-15, 05:20 AM  
BamaTanya

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingoo View Post
So would you recommend still starting with month one, even if not pregnant?
This thread has a recommended order for nonpregnant exercisers:
http://videofitness.com/~vfwnk/forum...d.php?t=190802
BamaTanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-15, 06:29 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post

I've used pregnancy yoga classes on YogaGlo. I've never been pregnant and at this stage - never will be. But I really enjoy the pace of pregnancy yoga classes.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote