Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 04-13-13, 07:33 AM  
leslie w
VF Supporter

I'm sitting here trying to think of workouts that are similar to DB but slower paced. Stuff I can sub on days when I need to take it down a notch. A few moldy oldies came to mind, like the original TLT's; Strength in Movement, Endurance for Movement, etc. Also the Dove workouts. Remember those? I think I might revisit some of them next week to see if they are a slower version of DB.

DH is home for a few days before he has to jet off on another business trip so I'm going to scrap the Cardio Mat idea if he wants to go for a long walk with me. Then I'll do the lunge section in Tonique Premiere. Enjoy your Saturday!
leslie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-13, 11:51 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hi and happy weekend! I did Energy Mat this morning, followed by most of Energy Stretch (I do it, but skip the parts that are less "stretch"). I really think that stretch helps me not be sore -- I love it! Tomorrow I'm going to "rest" and just take an hour walk while my kid is at hockey practice -- that's one of my favorite parts of the week!

Sue, no one else in my family will drink anything I make in the vitamix. Makes me so sad. Keep trying!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-13, 01:46 PM  
MamaBecca

Hi all!

I tried one of these workouts yesterday -- Fusion Mix, and wow, I've not done anything like this before! I fell off my ball repeatedly until I realized that Darby had a modifier without a ball. Once she finished with the ball, things got much better, but I still couldn't do all (sometimes not even close) to the reps they were doing (they were at times 3-5 reps in by the time I got in position!). But the time flew by and today, I am pleasantly sore in my low low abs, my thutt area and inner thighs, which are all areas that could use some help. In your experience, do you think these workouts are too tough for me? I have little to no experience in fusion workouts (I've done a bit of barre, and a fair amount of yoga, but not like this!). Did you all struggle at first with these? How steep was the learning curve? I previewed the kickbox one (Bikini Bootcamp) and it looked more doable to me, but I haven't tried it yet. I can still return this set if you think I'm not ready for it -- maybe there's a set that would help me work up to this? Thanks so much for any help!

CLX, TF, Skogg, RKS grad
STS Grad 2012
Les Mills Pump Grad 2013
Les Mills Combat Grad 2013
BeSLAM Grad 2013
Current rotation: Molly Galbraith GGS, Walking
MamaBecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-13, 02:06 PM  
furmomof6

Hi Becky! Not sure if you remember me from the home-school check-in. These workouts are beyond my current fitness level and I think they're really tough for all of us. We just go at our own pace. The first time I did them, I felt the same way you did and definitely struggled (I still struggle!). It does get easier over time, but it's never easy. If you enjoy them and are up for the challenge, I say to try them a few more times before deciding whether or not you want to return them. I think it does just take a few times before you know what's coming and can get into a better groove and not feel like you are 10 steps behind with getting into position, etc. Also, I never use the ball with Fusion Mix since I don't have one and still get a great workout. I just lift and lower my leg and do the push-ups while in plank. I still sometimes have to drop to one knee. I don't think it's a matter of whether or not you are ready for it, I know you have a good base with Cathe workouts, it's just a matter of whether or not you can be okay with going at your own pace? I'm not sure of anything similar that might help you work up to this set, maybe others can chime in?

I hope that helped some! How is your dad doing?

My shop www.LivingWordDecor.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-13, 02:12 PM  
deineira

Greetings,
I am very behind on checkins this week as I've been swamped the last few days. I will try to catch up tomorrow. For now, I just want to report in that I am pretty much on track for this week. Thursday I did Bikini Bootcamp. That was a calorie burner; another challenging workout that I enjoyed. It had a lot of variety and I liked the floorwork as it had some new moves. Friday I went for a 3.5 mile walk. It was lovely outside and my knees needed a break. Today I did Tonique Energy Mat and I am going to do Fusion today as well. I try to double up on Saturdays. I'm drinking a whey shake now and trying to get in the zone to get that started shortly.

Hope you are all well and that your workouts are going smoothly for the week. This week has definitely been challenging.

Take care!
Eva
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-13, 04:22 PM  
SquishyMommy

Hi Becky,

Don't get discouraged! I just started this week and from what I'd been reading I KNEW there was going to be a pretty steep learning curve. I just went into it with the mindset to do everything I could and not get frustrated with what I couldn't. I had trouble with the ball too,but I thought maybe mine needed more air in it, so I just chucked it away and modified for the rest of the sets.

In the past six months I've done rotations of kettlebells, barre and JMBR and I don't think any of them properly prepared me for these!
Old 04-13-13, 06:14 PM  
MamaBecca

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmomof6 View Post
Hi Becky! Not sure if you remember me from the home-school check-in. These workouts are beyond my current fitness level and I think they're really tough for all of us. We just go at our own pace. The first time I did them, I felt the same way you did and definitely struggled (I still struggle!). It does get easier over time, but it's never easy. If you enjoy them and are up for the challenge, I say to try them a few more times before deciding whether or not you want to return them. I think it does just take a few times before you know what's coming and can get into a better groove and not feel like you are 10 steps behind with getting into position, etc. Also, I never use the ball with Fusion Mix since I don't have one and still get a great workout. I just lift and lower my leg and do the push-ups while in plank. I still sometimes have to drop to one knee. I don't think it's a matter of whether or not you are ready for it, I know you have a good base with Cathe workouts, it's just a matter of whether or not you can be okay with going at your own pace? I'm not sure of anything similar that might help you work up to this set, maybe others can chime in?

I hope that helped some! How is your dad doing?
Hi Christine! Totally remember you! Thanks for the encouragement -- the more I've gone through today, the more sore I've become and I'm thinking that is a *good* thing! I think I will try Fusion Mix without the ball next time, and in between workouts, I'll try a couple of moves on the ball just to work on my balance. It's just too much for me to try and learn while keeping up with their pace!

I think I'm going to have to accept that I may never get in all the reps they do, and I may never stop using the modifications, but I think I'll still get quite a workout in.

Thanks for remembering my dad. He got some tough news recently -- his cancer has returned and metastasized, so he has a tough road ahead. He is good spirits mentally though, even if he's struggling physically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquishyMommy View Post
Hi Becky,

Don't get discouraged! I just started this week and from what I'd been reading I KNEW there was going to be a pretty steep learning curve. I just went into it with the mindset to do everything I could and not get frustrated with what I couldn't. I had trouble with the ball too,but I thought maybe mine needed more air in it, so I just chucked it away and modified for the rest of the sets.

In the past six months I've done rotations of kettlebells, barre and JMBR and I don't think any of them properly prepared me for these!
Thank you! I do similar workouts -- kbells, JM, but I've never moved quite like this before, which is neat -- I didn't think I'd find something so unique after all this time.

I like your attitude -- I'm going to try that with the next one. Just do the best I can with good form, no matter how many reps.

I laugh at what you said about your ball being underinflated. I was thinking I was struggling because mine was OVERinflated -- I couldn't make dents in mine with my feet, or even leaning on it with my hands and pushing down. Guess I'll have to experiment there too.

CLX, TF, Skogg, RKS grad
STS Grad 2012
Les Mills Pump Grad 2013
Les Mills Combat Grad 2013
BeSLAM Grad 2013
Current rotation: Molly Galbraith GGS, Walking

Last edited by MamaBecca; 04-13-13 at 06:16 PM. Reason: forgot something
MamaBecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-13, 08:57 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Becky, welcome! Others have beat me to the punch, but yes.... I think we all had an "adjustment period" with these workouts.... and they remain difficult!! But I think we have all noticed that they are "easier" even the second time through, but more so the more times you do them. As some have said, part of it is that the moves are more familiar and part of it is that your body is getting used to the moves and can do them more efficiently. So, don't give up!! Just make sure you like them.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-13, 09:02 AM  
momofcha

Pressed for time today. Only managed 18 min of BTM. Now we're off to softball!

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-13, 09:52 AM  
leslie w
VF Supporter

Hi everyone,

I haven't done the fusion workouts yet. For those using a stability ball, what size are you using? I have both 55 and 65cm. I'm 5'4 inches and have short legs and a long torso, so I find I have to change sizes for certain exercises. The ball on the Fusion with Darby workout looks rather large. I may just skip the ball the first time I do Fusion Mix and see how it goes.

Becky, so sorry to hear about your dad. Welcome to the world of DB. I was amazed how much easier these were to follow the second time around. I find not looking at the TV sometimes makes it easier for me to stay at my own pace. They don't mirror cue anyway, so if I follow their verbal directions I can't watch them because it throws me off. Have you done any Tonique or TA? I have found that Tonique has really helped me prepare for this series by building strength and balance in my legs.

Today I'm doing Cardio Mat since I didn't do it yesterday. This morning I was thinking how much I miss my other workouts that I've been ignoring; like barre, yoga, and traditional upper body weight workouts. I definitely need to do more yoga since I've been having problems with sore hips. I just need to find the time for it all!
leslie w is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dream body, dream body fusion