Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 09-13-15, 10:59 AM  
JustSandra
VF Supporter

Barefoot & On the Mat 9/13-19: "By all these lovely tokens...."

"By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer's best of weather
And autumn's best of cheer."

-Helen Hunt Jackson

Hi!

Welcome to the weekly check-in for the Barefoot & On the Mat group, aka Mat Mavens. This VF check-in has been going on for many years. We are a diverse but ultra-supportive group who enjoy a wide range of fitness activities, but we especially love those traditionally done sans shoes. If you regularly include yoga, pilates, qi gong, barre, Classical Stretch, Essentrics, Ballet Beautiful, Tracy Anderson, Ellen Barrett, etc. in your workouts you will fit right in! Some of us post daily, and others just pop in when they can -- no rules here. The welcome mat is always out, and we love hearing from new, returning, and guest Mat Mavens!

Back in a moment with my week....

"Good things are coming down the road - just don't stop walking."
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-15, 11:06 AM  
JustSandra
VF Supporter

Hello again!

Here's last week for me. As is readily apparent, I'm working my way through Classical Stretch Season 9, and also Jessica Smith's new DVD set.

Sunday:
Classical Stretch episode 906

Monday:
Jessica Smith's Hiit Walk from new DVD set
CS 907

Tuesday:
No workout

Wednesday:
CS 908 and 909
Jessica Smith's 40 minute walk (new DVD set)

Thursday:
CS 910
Jessica Smith Standing Abs and 15 minute walk (new DVD set)

Friday:
CS 911
Jessica Smith band walk (new DVD set)

Saturday:
CS 912
Steps 10,038

Mr. Zippy (my Fitbit Zip) and I are back together! The Fitbit people updated their software late last week, which fixed the issue I was having with previous days' steps not being recorded. Yay!

Waving to all -- I'll be back later with today's workout!

"Good things are coming down the road - just don't stop walking."
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-15, 01:41 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sandra, nice quote for this week! Great news that you got your Fitbit straightened out, too. Assuming you do CS 913 today, I practiced with you again.

Here was my week:

Monday
Cardio FAIL (gave up on HAM CardioTone 1, recumbent bike)
Yoga with Kassandra (online) - Yin Yoga for Anxiety & Stress

Tuesday
30MTF LIFT - PowerSculpting
Yoga, Relief from Neck & Shoulder Pain - 20m practice

Wednesday
Classical Stretch - 909, Posture Workout
Yoga Tune-up - Shoulder Shakti

Thursday
Element Barre Conditioning - Lengthen & Strengthen practice
Yoga Tune-up Massage Therapy Kit - Upper Back; Shoulders (wall)
Yoga Journal Home Practice - Relaxation practice

Friday
Yoga Teacher Training, Week 11, Day 1 (no practice; worked on Mission Statements)

Saturday
Yoga Teacher Training, Week 11, Day 2 (worked on assists, partner work, over 2 hours peer teaching)

Sunday
Flow Yoga Class at Lululemon
Classical Stretch - 913, Improve Your Posture & Spine

I can't believe that my YTT is almost over--just two weekends left! Now I have to come up with themes for my last two sequences (I have ideas) and somehow put both of those together in the next three weeks.

Visit me as YogiBethC on both Facebook and Instagram.

DISCLOSURE: I've had professional relationships with vendors; see my profile for details.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-15, 02:40 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Sandra - your week looks relaxing to me. I miss CS because I was always so relaxed when I was done. Nice that Zippy works again. Speaking of triceps waving, the SD that was here had one of the stomach surgeries to lose weight. She lost 107 pounds. Her triceps are beyond hope. I'm being nice and I have a point. Many years ago I lost 107 pounds. The difference between her and me, you can guess I'm sure, I exercised.

Pat, glad to hear your grand nephew feels better. I laughed about the accusing looks to his father. Grissom does that too when he doesn't want pills and I force them down his throat.

Paine - I must put boat horn on the shopping list. I also heard that if you do something to make yourself look bigger than a bear, like holding a blanket out and around you, and yelling or screaming, works too. Jane Fonda said she scared one when she ran screaming and her robe was floating out around her. I'm afraid that I'll be near the road and a bear or mountain lion or something will come out of the neighbors trees. When I was teenage and my neighbor was very young, 12 yrs younger than me, we'd do something similar to what you do with your grandson. I'd be on my back with knees bent so she could sit on the bottoms of my feet. Then I'd toss her away. She loved that! Rough and tumble was her style.

Beth - good luck with YTT. If I were in your class and you skipped Warrior anything on my bad side I'd probably kiss you.

I think I did WTME back and lower body last Sunday and WTME upper body and abs on Monday. That was that.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-15, 03:09 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Let's see, Linda, I think the side I remembered Warrior 2 on was left foot back, right leg bent--is that your good side or bad side?

DISCLOSURE: I've had professional relationships with vendors; see my profile for details.
Old 09-13-15, 03:20 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Beth,I need right leg back unless it's a very good day. When I come to your class, make it lopsided for Warriors, Triangle, and all of the other standing poses.

Old 09-13-15, 04:08 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Well, Linda, I guess I will try to forgot the other side next time!

So, I've already started my next two homework assignments b/c I need to get going! For the 25-minute (next time), my theme is "appreciation of what your body can do" with the peak pose of baby grasshopper, the relatively easy arm balance I showed all of you awhile back. So I'm trying to include some back groin/thigh opening work for that and have got most of the poses; I'm just not sure what I want to do for my very first initial warm-ups (i.e., start lying? seated? child's pose?). For the 40-minute sequence, I'm going to focus on "Transitions" and talk about not only how our YTT is ending but how transitions in poses on the mat translate off the mat. I've only put together a few poses for that sequence so far. Feel free to throw out any ideas if you have them!

Old 09-13-15, 04:28 PM  
cyana

Checking in with last week:

Mon: Jessica Smith Walk On 30 day - 30 min HIIT walk, R/A Happy Hormones
Tue: JS Walk on 30 day - Strength Interval Walk. Rebounding.
Wed: JS Walk on 30 day - Pyramid Power Walk. Rebounding.
Thu: JS Walk on Toning Walk. (Note: it is not recommended that someone 5'8" use a 4 ft long heavy duty band, LOL. You really need a longer band unless you're much shorter! )
Fri: zip.
Sat: zip
Sun: Long outdoor walk. Absolutely beautiful weather today.

Keeping T in my thoughts.

Linda - What a relief that your visitors are gone. (Sorry, but I believe in telling it like it is.) I think you have a good idea for a future class for Beth - lopsided and wobbling class - I can see that being great fun and non-intimidating for those of us who will never be a Gumby!

Beth - Wow, hard to believe YTT is almost over. I kind of like the idea of lying (tuning in, then some simple stretching) to sitting (some spine grinds, twists and neck relaxation work) to standing.

Sandra - I see lots of Jessica in your week, too! Hooray for Zippy being back to 100%. Nice quote - I love September.

Today is an absolutely gorgeous September day, so DH and I went out and took a long walk this afternoon. We sat out on the front porch and drank coffee this morning - I had to put on a hoodie, as it was in the low 50's with a breeze and wrap my legs (I was wearing shorts) with a lightweight throw. I need to get in several hours of work and I've been putting it off as long as I can.

I ordered the Barre 3 set that was a flash sale on Labor Day and it arrived Friday. At some point I need to break into that and give it a try since Sahra has convinced me that barre isn't so bad. I think I'm such an un-dancer like sort (not someone you'd describe as oozing with grace, LOL) it was hard for me to envision doing anything barre-like.
Old 09-13-15, 04:33 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

cyana, thanks for your thoughts on the warm-ups. For the 40-minute class, I might go from lying to seated; I like a more gradual start myself, and that would be appropriate for the "transitions" focus. For the 25-minute though, my time will be more limited. I'll be doing lunge salutes to get the students moving (and in truth, they will likely have already gone through several other 25-minute segments!), so I might only be able to do a very brief seated warm-up prior to that.

I'll be interested to what you think of Barre3! I do think you will find it different from other barre; it's not particularly dancer-like, so I don't think you have to worry about that.

Old 09-13-15, 05:40 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Beth - I like starting in a short Savasana but my legs usually don't lay flat at first. I don't mind going from standing to sitting to lying but getting down, then up and back down makes me bonkers. Of course, you aren't dealing with people like me. Thank goodness.

Cyana - I tell it like it is too, which is probably why I didn't get a necklace. It just pisses me off that dh never defends me because he doesn't want to start trouble. I start the trouble. He could at least finish it. He likes to keep me far away from his ex-life, and appreciate being kept far far away. My mother told me to never marry a divorced man but I knew best. I wouldn't trade dh for the world but his baggage seriously sucks. LOL The SD that was just here married a divorced guy. One day she called to bitch that his kids were mean and driving her crazy. I said, "payback's hell, ain't it", and hung up.