Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-07-04, 07:39 PM  
Phantom4u

Talking

Hi I am new to the site. I am 40+ only been exercising for 7 months. In the last 3 months I started buying exercise videos. I only have 4 but I am hooked.
Phantom4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-04, 08:32 PM  
Stevie W
VF Supporter

It's totally addictive once you get into the groove with a video. It's sort of circular because you keep wanting that *rush* that thrill of the new video and mastering it ..... no matter HOW long it takes!
;-)
Stevie
Stevie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-04, 10:02 AM  
Carol_is_fit

Hello everyone!!

Okay, this is a great idea! My name is Carol and I'm 46 years old. I'm an RN who worked 18 years in ICU's - mostly nights and weekends, but recently I began working for an insurance company doing medical chart reviews and teaching claim reps about medical issues. I love it!!

Some of you might recognize my user name. It's the same one I use on the Cathe forum, where I've been a member for a year now. I used to post under a different user name there, but changed it once I reached my WW goal. I know this is a diet-free zone, so I won't talk about that. Instead, I'll tell you about my fitness experiences.

I began running in college, and would run three miles a day, rain or shine. I was thin to begin with, and that kept me very thin, but back then it wasn't considered "mainstream" for women to lift weights. In fact, they were offering a class for weightlifting for women for the first time at Kent State (where I received my first degree) when I was a senior. I took it as a PE elective, and fell in love with lifting!

Then, I came home and went to nursing school, and barely had time to breathe let alone workout - LOL!! After I graduated and got married the following year, I discovered Volume I of the Firm, quite by accident. Susan Harris's long, long hair on the cover caught my eye in a video store! I was hooked!! Up until then, I ran and did mostly early Kathy Smith, Jane Fonda, and a few others like that. I was delighted to find they used REAL WEIGHTS in the Firm videos, and did them exclusively for years.

When the company was sold and Anna started FitPrime, I bought the first few, but for reasons which I won't go into here, decided they weren't for me. I actually discovered Cathe on the FitPrime forum. People were talking about her, so I went over to see what all the fuss was about. I bought my first two Cathe tapes and was hooked once more! I really love her workouts, especially the strength training ones!! Over the years, I've been up and down the scale, but the one thing that has kept me going was doing any type of strength training.

I no longer run (arthritis in both knees, which is hereditary, and a couple of old ligament tears), and over the years I've become less a fan of high impact cardio and more a fan of low impact or kickboxing where I stay grounded. I've noticed quite a few posts here where people are saying it's rough on the knees doing all that stepping, and I can relate! I still do them, but I modify quite a bit. Still, I know cardio is important!!

I also was into yoga for a while, but I find for my body type and my level of satisfaction, strength training does the most for me.

I would, however, love to hear from any of you who have found any Pilates-type tapes or yoga-style tapes which would still work my muscles, but give me the added benefits of the relaxation and stretching yoga provides, and the core work Pilates provides.

Also, has anyone tried Tracie Long's new DVD's? The ones filmed on the battleship? I have the first three on VHS, and I really like them, but I was wondering how the next two are? If there's another place on here where it's more appropriate to ask this, please just direct me. Thanks!

Looking forward to "meeting" all of you!

Carol
Old 07-11-04, 06:07 PM  
hapiness2005

You might want to post in the general discussion board. You will get more feedback there.
hapiness2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-04, 05:47 AM  
NeedsToDoIt

Up until the time I was about 28, I was a very fit person. I used to spend a lot of time at the local World Gym and played sports often. I got away from all that (long story) and by the time I was 40 I was 60 pounds overweight.

In April of last year, I decided to do something about it. I did a round of Power 90 followed by a round of Slim In Six - and watched what I ate. In a span of 22 weeks, I lost those 60 pounds.

Over the last 10 months, I've fallen back into bad habits and have gained back about 35 of those 60 pounds. During this time, I tried a few times to do another round of P90 or SI6. But, I fell off the wagon each time.

I just saw the commercial for 'The Core' yesterday and ordered it. I'm hoping that using this program (when it comes) mixed in with P90 and SI6 will keep me interested and motivated.

I know what I need to do with respect to food and exercise - the trick is that I just "need to do it." I want to be healthy and feel better about my physical state.

Last week, I realized that the company I keep means a lot in terms of staying on the right track. I discovered that when I'm talking with people who are fit-minded, they make me want to be that way as well. So, I decided to join this forum.
NeedsToDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-04, 05:28 PM  
Joe

All About Me, and Me, and Me

Hello everybody! I've got an angel one one shoulder and the devil on the other. There's a side of me that is always there for people, watching out for them, always ready to go when the going is needed. Then there's the other side of me that is mischevious, the side of me that picks on people, that wants to cause trouble, that gets distracted easily.

I have been on and off VF for about two years now. I access it mainly from work (this is one of the four website's that aren't blocked) and went through a time of not accessing VF when the forum server was changed last year. I'm glad I can get in now! Wheeeee!!!

You guys and gals (mostly gals) are wonderful, caring individuals, full of ideas, inspiration, and love for everyone on here. For that, I thank you. It's fun joking with you. It's nice to be able to be serious with you as well.

My career life has, for the most part, been Customer Service. That's just one of my several titles where I am currently employed. Some of you know where I work and that's okay. Just don't tell the world and I won't hafta send the FBI after you.

My goal is to get back in shape. Coming in here on an almost daily basis is giving me the encouragement to get started again. All this fitness talk gets to my conscience. And if you're wondering whether or not I am a "supporter" of this place, yes I am, although I'm not labeled as such. I refer people to this place almost every day.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-04, 11:06 PM  
leighmelton

hey

Just thought I would hi, so I won't feel guilty for silently lurking.

My name is Leigh, I'm 42 and I have been obese my entire life. I have pictures of me at age 5 where you can tell I'm in trouble - so when I say "entire life", I mean it. I've done the yo-yo thing so many times it makes my head hurt to contemplate. I always followed the advice of someone else (book authors, program leaders, friends, random strangers who "just wanted to help") but this time I've done a lot of reading and have formulated my own plan. I call it the "I don't want to be fat, but I don't want to be miserable, either plan".

At any rate, nutrition and exercise are really important to me now. That's why I joined VF, because we live in a rural area and video fitness is how I am learning to get fit. Please don't laugh, but I do Leslie Sansone's Miracle Mile every day, and Cory Everson's Get Hard Arms and Shoulders three times a week. I know that is NOTHING compared to most of you! I'm looking forward to the day when I can laugh at that, too!

Since May 1 I have lost 27 pounds - doesn't seem like a lot to some I suppose - but more importantly I have seen a lot of changes in my body. My watch bands fit again. I had to buy jeans 2 sizes smaller. I have more flexibility. I don't tire as easily doing household chores. My sleep is better. I just *feel* better.

I've got a long way to my goal of being fit - I know weight alone isn't the most important part, it's getting rid of fat, so I'm just using the scale as one way to track progress. My husband is a little bewildered by all of my changes, I think, but he's trying his best to be quietly supportive. He knows how sensitive a subject it is, so I can't blame him for not quite knowing exactly what to say sometimes.

I've already thought of a question for those who have been down this road before me, so excuse me while I go off to that forum and ask away!

I hope everyone is well and happy.

Leigh
leighmelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-04, 05:11 AM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Leigh, no one around here is laughing...27# since May is awesome and Leslie and Cory pop as currently done workouts all the time!
There are a lot of us who, through injury or illness, wind up "back where you are" and many of us have learned to hang onto those "beginner" workouts for days when we need them.
Keep up the good work and welcome to VF...but watch your $$$$$$$$$$$$$ before it's gone.......gone........gone........and you're up to your ears in cool, new workouts
Old 07-26-04, 05:38 PM  
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighmelton
Please don't laugh, but I do Leslie Sansone's Miracle Mile every day, and Cory Everson's Get Hard Arms and Shoulders three times a week. I know that is NOTHING compared to most of you! I'm looking forward to the day when I can laugh at that, too!

Since May 1 I have lost 27 pounds - doesn't seem like a lot to some I suppose - but more importantly I have seen a lot of changes in my body. My watch bands fit again. I had to buy jeans 2 sizes smaller. I have more flexibility. I don't tire as easily doing household chores. My sleep is better. I just *feel* better.
Nobody here is laughing. They are rejoicing because of your progress! Wooooooo! Leigh rocks! Keep it up and you'll meet your ultimate health/fitness goal before you know it! I may not now most of the people in here but I think I speak for us all when I say "Congratulations!"
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 02:15 PM  
aleepowell

new to me

Hello everyone,
I was recently introduced to this website by a friend. Just wondering if anyone has any helpful information for me. I am trying to lose 10 pounds, I'm not considered overweight but I would feel much better about myself.

Thanks
aleepowell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
former sticky, how did you find vf, introductions, new members, new to vf, new user, sticky thread