Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-11-05, 05:18 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

"The same year I introduced a whole new concept in mini-trampolines."

I always wonder about these anecdotes that help support what someone is selling. Could be true, or could be a good story to help sell his "new concept in mini-trampolines."

I wonder if his father was in his 60's, with diabetes?

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-05, 05:20 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Well, I'm now on my second cheapie rebounder from Wal-Mart (had a more expensive one in between with a stiffer bounce that I didn't like as well). I'm still walking, talking, and doing yoga. I would take that nerve damage story with a large spoonful of salt.

However--that Amazon deal is very tempting.

Does anyone have one of these? Is it a firm or soft bounce? Does it have springs or elastic bands?

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-05, 05:25 PM  
getstrong

Exactly. While I was looking for the reference, I did run across that link with diabetes. Makes me wonder...

Sites that sell rebounders fling that example around, and it has become a statement that cheap rebounders "often" cause permanent nerve damage, when it's a single incident, without details, that is the only thing I've ever seen as proof. I don't know if Dr. Morton Walker has more evidence in his books - he is a medical journalist, not an MD, as far as I can tell.
getstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-05, 05:26 PM  
getstrong

Helen, my (faulty) recollection was that it was Al Carter, so there!
Old 12-11-05, 05:31 PM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R
Well, I'm now on my second cheapie rebounder from Wal-Mart (had a more expensive one in between with a stiffer bounce that I didn't like as well). I'm still walking, talking, and doing yoga. I would take that nerve damage story with a large spoonful of salt.

However--that Amazon deal is very tempting.

Does anyone have one of these? Is it a firm or soft bounce? Does it have springs or elastic bands?
Barb (horsemom2) has it. See her posts in Bargain Watch & Greatest/Worst Fitness purchase in 2005 thread.
Old 12-11-05, 05:40 PM  
getstrong

OK, I went off to find the actual Morton Walker article, and I'd say Dave Hall was pretty liberal in his paraphrasing:

http://www.notdoctors.com/tld.html

Quote:
Depending on the quality, rebounding devices may be relatively low in cost, especially a department store model that's no more than a toy. Bouncing on such poorly-constructed models, usually imported from Asia, may actually be harmful to one's muscles, joints, and nerves. There's no yield to them and the abrupt jarring effect is the same as landing on the floor. My recommendation is that one should avoid purchasing these cheaply priced models.
That puts a different light on it for me. No evidence cited.

For descriptions on YogFlex, see the rebounder checkin (link below) for Cynthia and Barb's comments, starting at post 81 (corrected):

http://69.93.245.62/forum/showthread...9&page=3&pp=40
Old 12-11-05, 05:40 PM  
horsemom2

details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R
Cynthia from Boston and I both have one.
Actually it was her raves that first interested me when the best deal was almost double the current Amazon deal.
other than a stinky oil-like smell from the plastic edge cover, I have little to no real complaints
the smell is slowly fading in a small area with no real ventilation.

It is a firm bounce but totally nonjarring to my joints.
straps not springs but therefore, extremely quiet
the mat stays flat with no give in the center like my ReboundAIR so much easier for balancing and very good for one legged balancing moves with the stability bar as a dowel
ReboundAIR mat is 28 inches across and Yogflex is 34 giving 3 inches extra all around from the center enabling using non rebounder specific workouts with less modifying
lower than the RoundAIR so more overhead room
IMHO it can totally replace most of my space hogs that each cost more
and almost anything done on the incline or flat floor, standing, sitting and lying

Barb S
who has wasted a lot of $$ on other workout gadgets
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-05, 05:44 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by getstrong
OK, I went off to find the actual Morton Walker article, and I'd say Dave Hall was pretty liberal in his paraphrasing:

http://www.notdoctors.com/tld.html

That puts a different light on it for me. No evidence cited.
Yes, indeed. Certainly a far cry from "causing permanent nerve damage"?
Funny how one anecdote gets, shall we say, "modified" for the sake of selling a rebounder?

BARB: could you try another 'test'? If you have a heavier medicine ball (or even with the 5# ball, if that's your heaviest), could you really slam the ball into the mat (like your throwing it hard against a wall) and see if it rebounds nicely (do this where there are no breakable objects). Same with the ab move, please.
TIA!

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-05, 05:45 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Barb - thank you for your input on my "weight bearing" question. I'm intrigued by this - would have to scope out an area in the basement though, a rebounder is not the particular species of squeaking springs my husband wants to here at 5:00 a.m.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-05, 05:59 PM  
horsemom2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
Yes, indeed. Certainly a far cry from "causing permanent nerve damage"?
Funny how one anecdote gets, shall we say, "modified" for the sake of selling a rebounder?

BARB: could you try another 'test'? If you have a heavier medicine ball (or even with the 5# ball, if that's your heaviest), could you really slam the ball into the mat (like your throwing it hard against a wall) and see if it rebounds nicely (do this where there are no breakable objects). Same with the ab move, please.
TIA!
Unfortunately I have returned my 10 pound medicine ball cuz never used it but from standing my 6 pound Ballero definitely returns harder and faster. From sitting, still bounces twice before returning but does return with some force. Abs did feel it both directions.

As far as noise Pat, it is super quiet
As far as head room, I workout in my basement and it is much lower than my ReboundAIR and you really don't bounce upwards off the mat much cuz it isn't that springy.

Barb S
who has it tilted and ready for a Gin Ramp workout on Tuesday morning and plans to do it much more dynamically, trying to *wake the baby*

ETA: I just tried it with the smaller 3 lb ball and if I lob it with the right curve, it does come back in one bounce while sitting
probably can change the angle a bit with a few strategically placed books or stacked puzzle mats for the desired rebound
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rebounding, success stories, success story