Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-07-19, 08:15 PM  
cjayd
VF Supporter

Fit Body by Julia on YouTube ... I regularly rotate between Fit Body by Julia, Linda (her downloads and YouTube workouts)[/QUOTE]

This, me too. Fit by Julia is possibly the toughest workouts I’ve ever done and now she’s using kettlebells and heavier weights (85# barbell). LOVE!! I’m anxiously awaiting Linda’s next sale as I absolutely must own the Endurance 100, 110 and 120 box set but she didn’t have anything to go with it for me in her last buy one get one. I’m completely coveting that you have the download. Haha. I still use DVDs but I stream YouTube A LOT (way more than I ever thought I would). I’m looking forward to trying Linda’s new Metabolic Training Circuit a little later on today.

I don’t mind her “borrowing” Sylwia’s moves because it actually helped me build myself up to completing several whole Tonique workouts since some of Linda’s are shorter times. Plus she’s not replicating Sylwia’s scenery. Linda borrows a lot from Dream Body in her earlier stuff too. Usually whatever she is currently doing for her own workouts will find its way into her own YouTube workouts and DVDs. I find them to be nice twists on them though which makes for a nice variety with zero impact which I need after some Fit by Julia workouts.
cjayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 05:16 AM  
casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verine View Post

On a side note, I love Linda, but I'm not sure how I feel about her blatantly copying Tonique. I would argue that these workouts are more than just inspired by Tonique; some of the ones I've done have been 100% combinations from Tonique. I don't think one person can claim to "own" a particular move, but Linda uses a lot of Sylwia's signature moves (the mini-handstands, downdog combinations, breakdance moves, etc) and does not give her credit. She talks about doing Tonique in one of her "coffee talk" videos, but then doesn't really make the connection to her latest offerings. I have a Mindy Mylrea BOSU workout where she does moves that other instructors have created, and she gives them credit as she is doing them and in the end credits. Just wanted to put that out there.

Christina
I completely agree. I have been back to doing Cathe for months but I did Tonique workouts for many years. I did one of Linda's Endurance workouts and those unique Tonique moves are in there. It's not as hard as Tonique and actually more enjoyable to me because I'm not in Tonique shape. But definitely not an interpretation. It's just copying her moves with less reps or without how Sylwia keeps layering the moves to be more and more complex to her crazy level.

I stop doing Tonique because I'm 55 and have people I'm caring for now. My focus is keeping healthy and strong with Cathe workouts like Ice, Lite and STS. But I loved Tonique for many years and Sylwia's joyful playful ways. I also think Linda's workouts are very good but she should acknowledge where she got those moves. Its very obvious to me too.
Casey
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 11:12 AM  
marki64

I have been viewing some of her workouts on You Tube and actually am planning on doing one either tonight or tomorrow. It's a metabolic circuit workout and looks very challenging using heavier weights and 55 min. I did one of hers last week and it was good. It moved quick and provided a good leg burn. Not someone who I would chooses to workout to often, but once in awhile. Most of her stuff looks like a lot of the same.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 11:17 AM  
mle777

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefit View Post
LOL Yes she is very sneaky with the intensity! Definitely a different kind of challenging compared to Cathe (and Fit Body by Julia on YouTube which is what I mostly do now instead of Cathe). I never thought I'd love these kinds of workouts until I discovered Linda. Now she is one of the 3 instructors I use religiously. I regularly rotate between Fit Body by Julia, Linda (her downloads and YouTube workouts) and Five Parks Yoga on YouTube. Those 3 ladies are pretty much all I do anymore. I haven't touched a DVD in a couple of years.
The combo of those three sounds like a magical rotation

3x Tough Mudder
mle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 11:57 AM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey View Post
I completely agree. I have been back to doing Cathe for months but I did Tonique workouts for many years. I did one of Linda's Endurance workouts and those unique Tonique moves are in there. It's not as hard as Tonique and actually more enjoyable to me because I'm not in Tonique shape. But definitely not an interpretation. It's just copying her moves with less reps or without how Sylwia keeps layering the moves to be more and more complex to her crazy level.

I stop doing Tonique because I'm 55 and have people I'm caring for now. My focus is keeping healthy and strong with Cathe workouts like Ice, Lite and STS. But I loved Tonique for many years and Sylwia's joyful playful ways. I also think Linda's workouts are very good but she should acknowledge where she got those moves. Its very obvious to me too.
Casey
It’s not just Tonique but as someone said, other styles have found their way in. In some ways that is natural, but I agree it seems close to a line there as to whether a source should be acknowledged. I remember I thought her earliest Barlates barre stuff, when she first started, had very very similar combinations of exercises to another barre brand.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 02:36 PM  
Softshoe
VF Supporter

It is still Linda's interpretation of these exercises done for me to enjoy. I love her way. I feel it is all too much criticism. In fact, I thought it was funny because I had just watched a Jessica Smith youtube workout which reminded me of Linda's. And if it was the other way around I wouldn't care. Whatever gets me moving and I love Linda.
Old 02-08-19, 03:20 PM  
TriciaR
VF Supporter

I have a few of Linda's new style workouts but have not done them yet.
On her January 1st chat she does acknowledge and explain Tonique's influence on her workouts.
She made some major changes in 2018 for her personal outlook on her fitness journey. I found it interesting about adding more feel good, barefoot and stretching workouts. I am looking forward to them.
Tricia
TriciaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 04:10 PM  
cjayd
VF Supporter

I really, really like the direction Linda is going with her workouts. They compliment any number of other workout forms I do very nicely. I also like that they are challenging too. Seems like a lot of instructors that specialize in low impact also are not as challenging as I need them to be. I still want to burn calories and work up a sweat and feel muscle aches to tell me I did something new that challenged my body even if I don’t feel like jumping around every day.

I would also say it’s not like Cathe invented the wheel either or any number of the purveyors of barre workouts, kickboxing, yoga, kettlebells, Pilates, stretching etc. None of them “invented” those exercise forms. The credit lists would be huge if they had to credit the originators of every weight move, barre or yoga position, kick etc they utilize in their workouts. That just seems a little bit much to me. I just enjoy the combinations they all use. If it bothers you, there are a lot of other workouts to be done for sure.
cjayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 04:59 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjayd View Post

i would also say it’s not like cathe invented the wheel either or any number of the purveyors of barre workouts, kickboxing, yoga, kettlebells, pilates, stretching etc. None of them “invented” those exercise forms. The credit lists would be huge if they had to credit the originators of every weight move, barre or yoga position, kick etc they utilize in their workouts. That just seems a little bit much to me. I just enjoy the combinations they all use. If it bothers you, there are a lot of other workouts to be done for sure.
Agreed.
Old 02-08-19, 05:05 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mle777 View Post
The combo of those three sounds like a magical rotation
It's been a perfect trifecta for me! I try to do Julia 2-3 times a week and Linda or 5 Parks Yoga the rest of the week. Sometimes I'll just focus a whole week on only yoga or only Barlates/Linda if I'm feeling I need that kind of focus and if it's what my body is asking for. Sometimes I just get so dang sore from Julia I need to recover with a lovely week of yoga! lol

Tags
barlates, endurance 100, linda wooldridge