Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-23-17, 01:46 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Gwynn, I could see how the moves in Piyo could open/strengthen shoulders related to poor posture. But like Sherry, many of the moves are painful for my shoulders. I think if you have shoulder moves that are more related to injury, then Piyo might not be right for you, at least certain moves (e.g., I particularly don't like Beast and Kick-throughs). I do think the warm-ups for these routines generally feel good on my shoulders.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 02:16 PM  
sherry7899

I have a chronic shoulder injury, so these workouts did not work well for me.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 02:51 PM  
CarlaVeg

I had it and didn't like it... I don't know, It just didn't click with me even though I love doing yoga!

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 03:50 PM  
Titus2woman

Have been dying to try it for years!!!

More people fail from a lack of encouragement than anything else!
Titus2woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 04:13 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Gwynn, I could see how the moves in Piyo could open/strengthen shoulders related to poor posture. But like Sherry, many of the moves are painful for my shoulders. I think if you have shoulder moves that are more related to injury, then Piyo might not be right for you, at least certain moves (e.g., I particularly don't like Beast and Kick-throughs). I do think the warm-ups for these routines generally feel good on my shoulders.
Beth, I don't like them either, so I modify.

Agree with the comments about PiYo being wrist- and shoulder-intensive. This is why I do not do these workouts on a rotation; I just do them every so often.

Yoga 30for30 I had forgotten about; probably because I think it is download or streaming only and those are not on my radar. For those who want a shorter yoga program, I bet this would be quite good.

Beachbody also has a 3 week yoga program (streaming) that you can try for free (Jennyjoy mentioned this on another thread).

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 05:09 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I was another who was excited about PiYo and it just didn't measure up to my expectations. I was hoping for a fusion type of workout....a zuped up Ellen or something. I found it very hard on my shoulder and wrists, and it really irritated my lower back.

I passed that one on to another VFer.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 05:29 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
They did make a good informercial.
Yes, indeed! I came across the informercial the other day and liked it so much that I was almost ready to order, until I remembered that I already have it, tried it couple of times and didn't get back to it ever again. I still have the set. Somewhere. Yep. I too got sucked in by this informercial.
Old 02-23-17, 06:21 PM  
hotncmom

Dang, now I want this again. I bought it when it came out but returned it. Now it seems like just the ticket. I'm loving 30 minute workouts that I can use daily and feel like I accomplished something, but having the option to add on something else as a bonus.

Does anyone have a PiYo set they want to trade? If so, please PM me.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-17, 07:52 AM  
Rhonda

I have the basic set if anyone is interested. Use my email since I am not on the computer on the weekends.

hubcap49285@yahoo.com

thanks!
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-17, 10:37 AM  
mle777

I tried each of the workouts once. With each workout I became increasingly more frustrated with Chalene's queuing (or lack thereof). She would get you in downward dog (where you can't see the tv) and say "and put your foot here", but not say where here is. I will say that Travis Elliott has probably spoiled me when it comes to queuing for yoga-type workouts because his queuing is so good that I could do the whole workout without ever looking at the screen. I couldn't make it through one minute of a Piyo workout without looking at the screen because the queuing is so horrible.

3x Tough Mudder
mle777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
piyo