Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-15, 02:02 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgal View Post
This is the reason that Classical Stretch / Essentrics does not implement even light weights with their routines. Lots of joint work and they don't want you loading / adding stress to the joint.
Yes! Although Miranda does say to find exercise you enjoy.

I always think about Michelle Austin stating that you build very proportional muslces (for your body type) lifting your own body weight.

I have no interest in lifting any more....I get injured.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-15, 02:47 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolGirlinFl888 View Post
Well there is the lady that was doing 3 hours of just cardio a day then upped it to 4 hours a day 4 days a week, two hours a day on Friday, two hours a day on Saturday and one hour a day on sunday and was trying to figure out how to break out of that size 16 dress and get to the Promised Land dress size of 14. After 7 months of just cardio, she was still a size 16, just a smaller one but still a size 16 nonetheless. Then she got up to a size 18 due to depression of thinking she was never going to get there then she started lifting weights and in 5 months was a size 12 from a size 18! She got to the Promised Land plus some! Who was that anyway? Oh wait! That was me. Then there is the nearly 70 year old lady that got taken off of her osteoporosis medication because she started lifting weights. She got up to 10 lbs dumb bells then 15 and her doctor said your bones are strong enough. No more medicine and this is years after being a slave to those pills. Just sayin'.
The lady with the hours of cardio: great to induce cortisol response.
Much better to keep the cardio short, vigorous; pay attention to trying to limit cortisol-inducing food quantity; and try to upgrade the quality of the food where possible. But she (you) probably had a low resting heart rate [I'd been there, too - with volumes of step aerobics and some spotty floor work, but pretty bad protein-intensive di$$t - nice RHR at the time, though ) ... maybe she (you) had other decent biomarkers.

Clothing size is a number, but not the kind of numbers doctors worth their salt should be concentrating on.

Of course, I had to throw that step away; and now do a faint, mockably HiiT-ish facsimile of all the stuff I'd ever done or needed to do ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-15, 02:59 PM  
sunday

In defense of Ellen and her workouts, there are many people on this site who have re shaped their bodies with her workouts and others like her such as Suazanne. Every body is different. What works for one does not always work for someone else.

I know I puff up and look like a beast if I lift even moderate weights. I look best, as posted in another thread, when I do very light weights or body weight. I was ripped doing only Ashtanga training for months. I would do 70 chatturanga push-ups a day during that time. I also lost more than 80 pounds during peri meno using very light or no weight workouts, including Ellen. Anyone is free to check out my photo albums.

I also posted that at the time, before I became obese, that I ran 30-35 miles a week I couldn't eat enough to even keep my weight on. I was actually going and buying a banana split every day for months to up my calories. Again, we are all different.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-15, 03:03 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchgirl View Post
And I shall name him Sven!
HA!!!!!!

You'll have to pry my heavy weights from my cold, dead hands!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-15, 03:05 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolGirlinFl888 View Post
Well there is the lady that was doing 3 hours of just cardio a day then upped it to 4 hours a day 4 days a week, two hours a day on Friday, two hours a day on Saturday and one hour a day on sunday and was trying to figure out how to break out of that size 16 dress and get to the Promised Land dress size of 14. After 7 months of just cardio, she was still a size 16, just a smaller one but still a size 16 nonetheless. Then she got up to a size 18 due to depression of thinking she was never going to get there then she started lifting weights and in 5 months was a size 12 from a size 18! She got to the Promised Land plus some! Who was that anyway? Oh wait! That was me. Then there is the nearly 70 year old lady that got taken off of her osteoporosis medication because she started lifting weights. She got up to 10 lbs dumb bells then 15 and her doctor said your bones are strong enough. No more medicine and this is years after being a slave to those pills. Just sayin'.
Thank you for sharing this! Bravo to you! I have received disturbing news re: my bone density but also have joint problems. I have switched to primarily weight training - weights at the gym and Margaret Richard at home. I am feeling better by the day and am hoping I will be successful as you are!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-15, 03:29 PM  
Messe

I'm 67, and I train with kettlebells several days a week. I have no plans to give them up, Ellen Barrett's opinion notwithstanding, because I want a strong core and strong bones for the rest of my life. In fact, I think I hear Lauren Brooks calling my name right now!

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-15, 03:45 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Jumping in...

As a person who did lift heavy for a decade, and I did it too much and injured myself.

As a person who now does light/medium weights, I've done that too much and injured myself.

I'm the Goldilocks of weight training. But for my body, too much of anything and I'm injured.

I do CS/Ess nearly every day, and I do Ellen workouts, and I do some weight work a few times a month, and I do fusion-y workouts, and I do yoga, and I do a lot of Tracie Long, and I do a lot of dance workouts, and I do a lot of ballet workouts, and I do a lot of KCM, and I ran a 10K this summer just for fun. If I don't mix it up all the time, my body ends up injured somehow!

I can see Ellen's point, and I'm assuming she was trying to convey the meaning of don't think you have to lift heavy just for results (maybe?), which would kind of go along with her workout style.

Echoing everyone else's mantra of every body's different!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-15, 04:17 PM  
donnamp

Ok, I'll jump in also as I have been watching this thread since it was posted.

I agree that Ellen sometimes does not have the best way with words case in point, the whole "skinny" fiasco, and she should probably follow the plan of 'more workouts, less talk'

But, I think there is more than one way to get strong - for some people it is heavy lifting, for others it is Pilates/Fusion/Yoga, you name it.... My shining example is one winter I was completely burned out and all I did was "barefoot" workouts - dance (stuff like the Method, Stephanie Herman, Dance of the Inches, etc.), Pilates, Fusion, and some yoga (and not "power" yoga either). Well, that winter we had a bad snow storm, my DH was out of town and the amount of snow that fell was too much for our snow blower to handle. We have a long hilly driveway. I shoveled snow for 4 hours straight, then went out and did another hour to clear the mailbox. I have a history of a bad back - I did not throw my back out - I credit it to the core strength I developed through those workout modalities. I was not even particularly sore and that was w/out lifting anything probably heavier than a 3 lb weight for months (and for the record, prior to going in that direction, I was lifting anything that was far from "heavy" - probably heaviest before that was maybe an 8 lber)

Anyway, my point is that there is more than one way to get strong, it is just too bad that Ellen did not seem to articulate that well in her blog post!!

I will still do her workouts, but I do admit, since the "skinny" fiasco, my glowing love for her did diminish a bit.....

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-15, 04:20 PM  
jenn38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Eh, I would probably still do her workouts. They make me happy. I just shake my head at the nonsense she spouts.
I do enjoy some of her workouts also. But I disagree with her train of thought on weights. I think there is a place for both heavy and light weight exercises. But to never lift over 5lbs I would not be able to lift my purse or my groceries. And I would never be able to do my job which requires me to move heavy objects.
Old 09-15-15, 04:37 PM  
Calistro

I really think it was the statement "Stay away from heavy weights"! which I found irritating as one size does not fit all.

I do agree with a poster that Ellen may not have the best way with words, as if she had perhaps said something like,

"I personally stay away from heavy weights as my body does not respond well to it and I get tendon injuries" or something to that affect, then I would have received the statement much better.

I agree that everyone responds differently to various styles of exercise and I do no have a problem with the fact that some people do not want to lift heavy at all or want to lift weights. When I lifted weights for a long time I did it slowly over a long period and got stronger and never had injuries to my arms, now after a long period of not lifting weights I ended up with tennis elbow trying to carry my heavy shopping bags over a period of time with weak arms. I should have carried on lifting heavy as I was able to carry loads for a long period without injury. Now I am nursing the injury so I am not using weights except for rehab.

I do believe in mixing my workouts up. Weights, cardio, pilates, yoga, CS, HIIT, kettlebells etc.. all have their place.
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ellen barret, ellen barrett, heavy weights, instructor behaving badly, tennis elbow