Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-15, 01:27 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

double post, sorry
Old 09-15-15, 07:10 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

It really is silly stuff. Everyone has to do what works for them. It's certainly true that some people cannot lift heavy, but some people have no problem and love it! Ridiculous!
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-15, 07:43 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

I have not done one of her workouts. I will continue that trend.

Totally agree about ignoring exercise absolutists. I had a PT tell me to stop all cardio except swimming but weights were fine, and a chiropractor tell me to cease weight training altogether but do as much cardio as I wanted. Each recommendation was based on the same diagnosis of a disintegrated disc in my lower back. ?!?!?!?!? As soon as I hear "never" in regards to anything fitness or nutrition, I get skeptical.
Old 09-15-15, 07:55 AM  
bubbles76

Eh, I would probably still do her workouts. They make me happy. I just shake my head at the nonsense she spouts.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-15, 08:13 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Eh, I would probably still do her workouts. They make me happy. I just shake my head at the nonsense she spouts.
This. Plus, everyone is different. I don't use heavy weights because I don't need them for my body type and they re-aggravate injuries. But speaking in absolutes is not a good idea. It's who Ellen is, though, and she obviously doesn't target the heavy weight market.
Old 09-15-15, 08:16 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Yes, Ellen says some silly things. The workouts she has produced that I enjoy, I will keep enjoying for all the same reasons. I think it's just how she's wired. I never paid for any of her workouts in the quest for intellectual guidance, let's put it that way. I paid for an enjoyable workout.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-15, 08:59 AM  
PhyllisG

I don't care what Ellen says I will continue to do and enjoy her workouts. I did them when I was lifting heavy and I still do them even tho I am no longer interested in going to failure.
PhyllisG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-15, 09:09 AM  
Sollamyn

I'm no Ellen fan but, to be fair, she does warn against "repeatedly" lifting heavy weight. Lifting kids and grocery bags and handbags probably aren't considered as weight lifting, as in repeatedly lifting weights for several reps/sets.

That being said, I have had experience with shoulder pain. The cause? Well, my p.t. said it was due to poor posture. But what exactly was causing the pain? Wasn't it ligaments and/or tendons that were strained from having poor form? And what corrected my poor form? Strength training!! My p.t. started me out with 2 pound weights because I had been avoiding upper body work due to my pain and I was out of shape. But, one year later, I have progressed and I now use five pound weights. But my p.t. gave me no instructions on what weights I should use as I progressed. He didn't tell me to stop at 5 pounds, so I plan to go heavier as soon as I'm able. As long I could do the exercises correctly and as long as they aren't causing me any pain, I can use whatever poundage I want. Having a strong upper back, rear shoulders, and rotator cuffs (while limbering up the chest muscles) seemed to be his goal. And you know what? It worked. Almost one year after my last p.t. session, I am still pain free, all thanks to strength training.

OK, sorry I went a bit off topic.

Donna
Old 09-15-15, 10:17 AM  
Chomper

I think it's rich that she is claiming to be so concerned about muscle balance. What I remember of her DVDs, they were very imbalanced. No posterior chain work at all. It is my impression that that is the biggest cause of injury from muscle imbalances. Maybe any physical therapists here can chime in?
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-15, 10:43 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

It was about time for some controversy here at VF! This place was getting a bit dull! ;-) Now, to wait for Cathe's New ICE intermediate set to see what the dialogue is then. Just kidding...

Really, people need to use the method of training that suits them and their needs.

I like many of Ellen's workouts and enjoy her! I also like Cathe, Kelly Coffey-Meyer (and lifting moderate to heavy weights!) I love kettlebell workouts, too!

But, anyone can do too much of a good thing and I can see where over use injuries come into play or aggravating old injuries. To each their own.

Ellen should just keep her mouth shut and not appear so crazy, sometimes.

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ellen barret, ellen barrett, heavy weights, instructor behaving badly, tennis elbow