Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-15, 08:23 AM  
PhyllisG

The only thing I would add is that whatever you choose......consistency. Do something!
I have to say this because it bothers me. Calling anyone stupid or crazy for their opinion is not helpful.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-15, 08:44 AM  
PhyllisG

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarsh4 View Post
Why does anyone bash a certain genre of exercise. I have DVD's that bash the Gym and Gym rats that think using DVD's isn't real exercise. I know people who say you should do less cardio and more weights and then others who say don't lift heavy ect ect. It is OK to go to the Gym and do DVD's. It is O.K to do low weight/high reps. It is O.K to lift heavy. It is O.K to run for cardio. It is OK to do Barre, Yoga and Pilates. Do what you love, try to mix it up, listen to your body and enjoy!!

Agreed. Consistency.
This bothers me. Calling others stupid or crazy for their opinions is not helpful.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-15, 11:00 AM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
The only thing I would add is that whatever you choose......consistency. Do something!
I have to say this because it bothers me. Calling anyone stupid or crazy for their opinion is not helpful.
Oh, man!

Somebody had to say it. Better that it not be me; because some people on here think I'm stupid and crazy. So two stupid and crazies don't make a person seem sensible ... to many people ...

Sometimes opinions on here get as heated as if you were challenging somebody's allegiance to their Crossfit box. Yeesh!

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-15, 11:18 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
Yes, do what you enjoy then it's easy to be consistent.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-15, 11:29 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
That picture is what lifting heavy weights look like for me.
I hear you and understand completely.

I don't do heavy weights all the time. I cycle heavy, medium and high rep/low weight workouts for balance. (And... my personal idea of a "heavy" weights would not be impressive to any of our VF Amazons.)

I have to work around a torn labrum (hip), a torn meniscus (knee) and a few other bothersome body quirks. I make many modifications and substitutions.

All I know is that I have reversed and slowed down osteopenia in my spine and hips by lifting heavy for me.

YMMV!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-15, 12:26 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I just looked at an excerpt in her book, "Body Electric" (2008), and Margaret states that her osteopenia was caused by taking her calcium pills all at once instead of spread out during the day. She goes on to say that her bone scans have been normal l since that change.
She also uses bioidentical hormones.

In her later workouts she sometimes uses 10 lbs for triceps, biceps and chest and has occasionally doubled up 8s for biceps. But she always has said to use what you can handle in terms of your fitness level which is what I have always done.
Old 09-17-15, 02:18 PM  
darbyndoug

I just have to chime in.... her claim that sun salutations are "perfect." Well, they are not perfect for everyone, that's for sure! http://sequencewiz.org/2014/04/09/sh...problems-yoga/
darbyndoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-15, 02:31 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarsh4 View Post
Why does anyone bash a certain genre of exercise. I have DVD's that bash the Gym and Gym rats that think using DVD's isn't real exercise. I know people who say you should do less cardio and more weights and then others who say don't lift heavy ect ect. It is OK to go to the Gym and do DVD's. It is O.K to do low weight/high reps. It is O.K to lift heavy. It is O.K to run for cardio. It is OK to do Barre, Yoga and Pilates. Do what you love, try to mix it up, listen to your body and enjoy!!
Now this doesn't apply to all Crossfit people but the ones in the gym I used to go to always bashed other forms of exercise. They think anything other than crossfit is "lame" and bash bodybuilding as not functional. Which may be true but who cares? At least bodybuilders are moving and eating carefully.
About a month ago the box owner's girlfriend (who had the Level 1 training and is all of a sudden an "expert" ) posted an article on Facebook about Crossfit. Didn't read the article but she made a comment that the article was "proof that globo gyms and trainers are a waste of time and money." I wanted to respond but was on vacation and didn't want to waste my time. Someone-a trainer in fact did respond and refute her claims. He made some excellent points and said people shouldn't bash forms of exercise they don't do even if they disagree with the methodology etc.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-15, 03:35 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbyndoug View Post
I just have to chime in.... her claim that sun salutations are "perfect." Well, they are not perfect for everyone, that's for sure! http://sequencewiz.org/2014/04/09/sh...problems-yoga/
I won't do full pushup anymore. Eight-pointed pose (ashtangasana) has to be arrived into very slowly, in addition. They just make my chest and elbows hurt these days. Costo problems and bursitis, I'm sick of getting. So, I'm susceptible in yet that direction, too.

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-15, 08:53 AM  
mmis29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
Ellen Barrett also wrote a whole book about working out according to your Zodiac sign, so I've always taken anything that came out of her mouth/keyboard with a big ole grain of salt.

Now I'm not a fitness expert by any means but this just seems downright wacky!

Tags
ellen barret, ellen barrett, heavy weights, instructor behaving badly, tennis elbow