Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-01-15, 06:17 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Thanks for the list! There are several I've been looking forward to that will be released this month.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-15, 06:21 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I'm reading Mrs. Roosevelt's Confidante by Susan Elia MacNeal. It's a like but not love although I keep getting more into it as I go.

I'm also reading The Remedy for Regret, probably my least favorite book by Susan Meissner. It's good enough that I'm sticking with it and I'm looking forward to finishing it.

Longing for Paris wasn't the book I needed right now, but I'm very much liking Living Well Spending Less by Ruth Soukup.

I've also started Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks. It's pretty good so far.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 09-01-15, 06:24 PM  
donnamp

I'm reading The Cruelest Month by Louise Penny - I just love her writing!

I finished my first Jo Jo MOyes book - Ship of Brides and will read Me Before You at some point, maybe once the furor dies down over the new release so I can read them back to back?

Laura -I think I'm up to that book next in the Maggie Hope series. I have enjoyed them but I don't think any have been "Loves" for me.

Oh, I also read Alice Hoffman's Blackbird House which I enjoyed.

Happy Fall Reading -

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-15, 08:36 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
I am reading Alice Hoffmans The Marriage of Opposites.
I am interested in hearing what you think about this. I read The Dovekeepers and liked it. I was thinking of reading the book that was released before Opposites- The Museum of Extraordinary Things I think it is called.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-15, 08:42 PM  
firmiewannabe

This summer, I tried to read and enjoy some chick lit...that plan was a bust. I tried multiple books but none of them I would rate as a good read. I'm returning to my one true love in reading - mysteries.

I just finished Hotwire by Alex Kava. It's part of her Maggie Odell series. I've read the earlier books and was excited to return to this series. I really enjoy her books. It's not too gory and moves the mystery along at a good pace.
firmiewannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-15, 08:56 PM  
Wanda
VF Supporter

I just finished The Fires of Autumn by Irene Nemirovsky. It made up for my disappointment in The Nightingale.
Wanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-15, 12:47 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Just started On the Move by Oliver Sacks. I downloaded the sample to my kindle just before bed, and ended up buying it and staying up too late reading. It seems to ramble a bit, but I am a fan of his. If he had done the narration on the audible, that would have been a slam dunk for my next audible book -- love his voice! -- but since he did not, I am reading it and imagining he is reading it aloud to me.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-15, 01:36 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Laura -I think I'm up to that book next in the Maggie Hope series. I have enjoyed them but I don't think any have been "Loves" for me.
I think I loved the first one because it was just so different from the mysteries I had been reading - either cozy mysteries or "hard-boiled detective hunts down murderer", all of which had the same vibe. I liked book 2 and thought book 3 just got too dark. With this one, I'm back to a solid like.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 09-02-15, 01:50 PM  
Aunt Famous

I enjoyed both "What the Dog Saw" -- the history of hair coloring products and the essay about ketchup were my favorites -- and "Under the Banner of Heaven." Great reads.

I am finishing up "Sometimes Madness is Wisdom: The Marriage of Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald." It was exhaustively researched, sometimes a slog, but on the whole, an interesting endeavor. I have a large stack to choose from for my next book.

Along the way, I picked up and skimmed Alejandro Junger's "Clean," about a detoxifying diet, and while I had the best intentions, I had an undeniable Krystal craving (or is it kraving?). Perhaps baby steps are for me.

And (I promise that this is it) a few months ago I decided to start writing down in a journal a list of everything I have read. Interesting! I had thought about doing that many times in the past, and how I wished I'd started far earlier.

Happy reading.

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-15, 01:58 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Aunt Famous - I started a book journal in January, something I am so glad I did! I hope to keep it up along with my workout journal which I have done faithfully since I joined VF in 2006.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, fall reading, reading