Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-23-14, 08:45 AM  
caitlinpyle

My results from barre... so far :-)

I decided to get serious about changing my shape this year. I had been making excuses and justifying my heavy lower half as just my genes, because my momma carried heavier on the lower half, too. But really I was doing maybe 1x resistance training per week and some cardio... super bored with my workouts. I started out with Ellen's workouts in January, and got super, super hooked on barefoot, gentle workouts. I'd come out drenched in sweat after 45 minutes and hadn't jumped AT ALL and I loved how I felt. I've been doing barre for about 4.5 months now, since the beginning of April. I've been tracking my progress.

I am not sure how much I weighed on the left, but I know about two months after that pic I tweaked my diet a lot and was at 141-ish or more. I am now 135. I have a goal to get to 129, but if I never reach it, I don't care... I'm just gonna keep doing what I'm doing and let my body settle in.

Left: April 9, 2014. I had just discovered barre workouts!! Although my first one was way back in Jan 2012, i didn't like it then because it burned so badly... lol. I think I'd done Callanetics a few times after this pic, along with some Core Fusion. BarreAmped was next on my list

Right: Today, August 23, 2014. 6 lbs down, inches lost all over, esp. thighs/hips. I can actually see a little bit of abs. I'm happy here, although there are some areas I'm still wondering if I can tone up some more, but I am thinking a few more lbs of solid fat loss will take care of that problem.

Strength gains: I am mastering my own bodyweight. I was never able to hold a T-stand side plank for longer than a few seconds, barely, and now I can hold them for quite a long time and with great form. My pushups, oh my pushups, are getting a lot easier. Endurance has improved greatly.

Cardio?-- I am a spinning instructor and I do rebounding and occasionally step (30 min Gymbox). I usually teach 90 min of spin per week and then whatever other cardio is mixed in with my weekly workouts is what I get. I've done MOSTLY SBF workouts with Suzanne Bowen since June 5, but now I am starting to branch out more. I also have had a rebounder for a few months and I really enjoy doing that. It's allowed me to sneak in extra movement during the week, sometimes as much as 3 hours. I always watch something on Netflix when I rebound.

Food? I'm eating a LOT of food. No starvation whatsoever.

I posted this on my Facebook this morning, too :::bites nails nervously::: I had a disclaimer that I'd delete any a-hole comments LOL I clicked "post" heaved a huge sigh of relief and said to myself, out loud, "I don't care what anybody says! I'm looking GOOD!" LOL

Anyway, hoping this is encouraging to anyone else on the path to change their body. I really thought I'd be stuck feeling uncomfortable with myself forever!! ALSO... I largely attribute my success so far to VFers!!!!! Knowing I was NOT ALONE in my quest to change habits and become a better me, has really kept me going strong, so THANK YOU VFers for being awesome. love you guys and love this board.

Barre, Indoor Walking, and Rebounding Lover

Favorites: Suzanne Bowen, Jessica Smith, Ellen Barrett
caitlinpyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-14, 08:55 AM  
Tugger31

Wow!! Amazing what a difference 6 lbs makes!! I am trying hard to not go by the number on the scale and find myself getting frustrated when I've lost "only" 3 lbs etc. Your pics are a testament to not letting results be judged in numbers only! Good job! Your abs in particular are looking great!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-14, 08:56 AM  
aquakat

You look wonderful, Caitlin!! So inspiring. Thanks for posting!

Alison
aquakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-14, 09:00 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Great job, Caitlin! It's nice to find a style of exercise that you love, that works and that doesn't tear up your body ~

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-14, 09:01 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Caitlin, your body looks SO much like mine! I weigh a few lbs. more than you right now, and I think you might be a bit taller? (I am just shy of 5'5"), but we are very similar overall. When I do all barre, that doesn't seem to work well for me, but combining that with more traditional strength (including both light and heavy) does seem effective.

Thanks for sharing your progress!!!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-14, 09:09 AM  
Jacqi A
VF Supporter

Great progress! And you can now see without your glasses !
Are you doing full body workouts, or split? How many a week?
I'm also a slim pear, & I also like barre & rebounding.
Jacqi A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-14, 09:14 AM  
Emily B
VF Supporter

I might need to head back to the barre after seeing this! I can definitely tell a difference. You looked great before, but you look leaner and tighter now. Which dvds have you used?
Old 08-23-14, 09:46 AM  
suzannaerin

You look great and your hard work shows. Agree w/Emily in that you looked terrific before, but you definitely look tighter now.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-14, 10:41 AM  
caitlinpyle

Leaner and tighter is definitely the goal, with or without weight loss My pants fit better, too!!!!

Part of my decision to "get serious" was because, as a trainer and instructor it was important to me that I actually walk the talk But the difficulty I faced was not really LIKING the workouts I was doing. I teach a lot of circuit training and it was stifling to teach stuff that I didn't actually enjoy doing (and did rarely) myself. When I found barre/mat workouts/barefoot cardio/fusion style training and realized I didn't need to do jumping jacks and tuck jumps and burpees to get results, something just clicked! So now I even teach my clients barefoot

Also, I had a really hard time actually getting my THIGHS to work when doing traditional strength training. Barre took the guesswork out of that because the body positioning forces them to work. Actually using my quads totally changed their shape.

Tugger -- yes, imagine each pound of fat being about the size of one grapefruit!! Even just a single one takes up quite a bit of space so it ALL matters

Beth -- I've been tempted to start doing heavier weight again, or just mixing in Kelly Coffey workouts but I just enjoy barre so much it is hard to make the time, LOL ... I do like KCM workouts, though so I should JUST DO IT!! Also.. I am 5'7" slimming down the lower half has helped me feel taller, though, because being bottom heavy actually made me feel stocky ALL the time, even though I am considered "tall" by average standards.

Jacqi -- I do "something" every day, even if it's just stretching and rebounding. Movement wakes me up in the morning, as I do not drink coffee or tea, and if I don't move in the morning I feel VERY sluggish

My schedule looked like this:
Monday -- longer workout 50-60 min, lower body emphasis, with cardio usually built in
Tuesday -- upper body/core with rebounding 40-60 min throughout the day
Wednesday -- longer workout emphasizing lower body, some cardio built in, could be a total body workout, some rebounding
Thursday -- upper body/core, 30 min or so, and I taught 90 min spinning at night
Friday -- usually something easier like an SBF feel-good cardio, some shorter target workouts or just rebounding
Saturday -- long, total body workout (60+ min) LOVE the Saturday morning sweat!!! and stretching.. rebounding later on while Netflixing ;-)
Sunday -- stretch and rebounding ... sometimes a short abs workout.

I've done a LOT, and I mean a LOT of SBF... I was doing her workouts exclusively since June 7, when I fell in love Before that, I was shuffling through pretty much any barre workout I could get my hands on... Barre3, P57, TBM, PopPhysique, and I started rebounding in mid-May. I've done ALL low impact workouts and have only worn shoes for a handful of them ;-) I've really developed an aversion to shoes!! Haha. Really my focus has shifted to just staying active. My day job is from home, I'm on my butt reading legal transcripts for hours a day, so the more activity the better, and because it is all so gentle I've been able to do a lot of moving... I'm especially grateful for my JS rebounder, wow, how much more activity I've been able to get in when I'd otherwise be sedentary, is amazing. And it feels great.

Barre, Indoor Walking, and Rebounding Lover

Favorites: Suzanne Bowen, Jessica Smith, Ellen Barrett
caitlinpyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-14, 10:45 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

You look great, Caitlin! Congratulations!!!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre results, successful weight loss