Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-09-09, 05:40 PM  
Demeris

Barre
bar none the quickest way to lift your butt

I've always had a high round rear, but several years ago I stripped off some weight and realized that my high round fat had hidden the slack, saggy muscles. Callanetics and fluidity (later the new bar methods/core fusion/lotte berk/CS) and my bum, while quite large, is quite high and round
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 06:04 PM  
hourglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
Barre
bar none the quickest way to lift your butt
Absolutely! Especially the pretel and back dancing!!!

Joan
hourglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 06:06 PM  
laurajhawk

Yes, barre. I'd suggest the Bar Method dvds (lots of back dancing!) and Core Fusion Thighs & Glutes.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 06:17 PM  
ssgilby

I always found that step ups with weights really gave my butt some shape and lifting, but I no longer do traditional lower body work with weights as it tweaks my back injury.

I agree with the barre recommendation. I'm on my 4th week of a Fluidity rotation, and I can see some lifting of my butt. I do believe it takes a bit more time to see lifting with barre workouts and consistency, but it will all pay off.

I find it hard to get a good burn in my butt with barre workouts, but some that can toast my glutes are some of the iBallet floorwork sections and also the ham/glute work done in the Pure Barre Pershing Squares. Carrie uses a ball behind the knee of the working leg (done standing in PS1 and on all fours in PS2), and it's some of the most unique glute work I've ever done. It's tough! The seat segments from the Pershing Squares are great add ons to other workouts as are the iBallets. I often like to do a short ham/glute session after a cardio workout when my lower body is pre-fatigued. The bonus lower body workout from Cardio Barre Ultimate Advanced is also a short but notoriously tough butt burn!

I think weighted floorwork (think Donkey Kicks, hamstring curls, etc.) also helps shape and lift the butt. Margaret Richard seems to be the go-to gal for this type of work, although Cathe has floorwork segments on several of her workouts. The floorwork of the Original Buns of Steel will also fry the butt (and legs) without any weights at all. Greg Smithey is relentless (but also somewhat creepy, LOL!).

Good luck!
Old 11-09-09, 07:43 PM  
leslie w
VF Supporter

Tall box climbs or step-ups give me a Spongebob butt. What's worked for me is barre work. I love the knealing seat segment in Core Fusion Glutes and Thighs.

As far as traditional work; Cathe's Butts and Guts, or Legs and Glutes has lots of rear end focused exercises that are sure to fry the glutes. Step back lunges done on paper plates get me good too.
leslie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 08:28 PM  
Lily530

n/m
Lily530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 10:04 PM  
juberann

My butt actually got bigger when I was on my FIRM kick awhile back, not doing the PINK FIRMS but using the Fanny Lifter and TransFIRMer did TERRIBLE things to my lower body, butt got bigger and my quads got bulky plus those tall step ups killed my knees. I could not figure out WHY I was gaining inches because everyone I knew, or heard had used the FIRM, got smaller using this system. NOT ME
Even though I havn't been with it too long, I totally agree with the others, Barre workouts are amazing for leaning out your lower body. I see a difference already and I had pretty much given up on ever seeing a slimmer lower body again. I know, FOR ME, weighted lower body work and Step just doesn't work for me, well, it works, just doesn't give me the results I am personally after.
So,DEFINITELY try a Barre workout there are quite a few really good ones out there right now and hopefully MANY more coming in the future.

Good Luck
juberann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 10:11 PM  
chrisqan

not to hijack, but does anyone have suggestions for making your glutes bigger and higher, but won't bulk your thighs? i have a flat bottom
chrisqan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 10:18 PM  
Sara1000

Please start a new thread asking this question - it comes up from time to time - I am interested in what the current answer is as well.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 10:19 PM  
aunatural

What works best for me are the leg lifts in the cool down segment of Firm Volume 6 and/or doing deep lunges on the stairs or step-ups.

2014 Goal- Be consistent! Embrace yoga!
aunatural is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glutes, spongebob butt