Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-09-08, 04:05 PM  
Marie1120
VF Supporter

Over 50 - 40% strength training per WD! Comments?

The March 4th Woman's Day had an article (Fit for Good) by Kenneth Cooper MD. It was a Q&A format with one question asking if strength training or cardio was more important. His response was both important but that the percentage of each should change as you age. He states that under 40 should be 80% cardio/20% strength. Over 40 strength should be 30%; over 50 increse to 40% and over 60 up to 45%.

Any comments? Or has anyone made this shift as they age and find that this worked better? I am over 50 and seemed to have misplaced my metabolism and wondering if more strength training might be the answer but giving up the idea of adding more cardio is difficult.

He didn't specify what kind of strength training so any thoughts on if one would be better than another? Thanks.
2009 - 312/300

"Those who remove mountains begin by carrying away small stones."
- Chinese Proverb

"Getting up in the morning is a case of mind over mattress." Ziggy
Marie1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-08, 04:14 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I always thought the generic "exercise recipe" recommended in most books/magazines (not specialty) is 2 days strength/4 days cardio, which would make it 40% strength training for everyone. Maybe I'm wrong?
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-08, 04:15 PM  
lovemykid

me too

Seems I have misplaced my metabolism as well!
lovemykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-08, 04:17 PM  
little bird

Interesting.....I am doing about 30% strength, but I was going to change to 50/50 in a few weeks . What to do, what to do
Laverne
little bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-08, 04:21 PM  
patchworkpenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1120
I am over 50 and seemed to have misplaced my metabolism and wondering if more strength training might be the answer but giving up the idea of adding more cardio is difficult.
Hey Marie, I like your comment about lost metabolism!

I'm not sure I can be much help because I'm still in the under forty {but not by much} I'm glad you posted this question. In the past few months I have increased my weight work from almost nothing to two-three times a week. I have added more muscle, and I feel the weight work is benefiting me more than the cardio at this time, and plan to keep it the focus of my workouts for a while, because the strength work adds a challenge that cardio can't give me.

Before I ramble on let me get to my point, to me it makes sense to increase the weights as we get older, to keep up our muscles, and for bone development. IMO.

"An exercise in futility still counts as exercise!"

"There's a pattern to the randomness!" ~ Artie ~ Warehouse 13

"Weakness is hard, but weakness doesn't have to mean defeat!" ~ Lysa TerKeurst

"That's the only break you get, so I hope you enjoyed it" ~~Cathe, STS, Meso 2

patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-08, 04:24 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

I've never seen anyone discuss this before (in articles or print), but I tend to agree with Cooper. I think as we get older, strength training becomes more and more important.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-08, 04:57 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Well I'm glad because I plan to focus on strength training, yoga and Pilates and quit killing myself doing cardio (as if I had been).
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-08, 05:12 PM  
KathAL79

I'm not sure I like the implication that we young ones should just go run on a treadmill 4-5 days a week and then pick up a couple of weights one day. I'll do as much strength training as I want, thank you very much!

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-08, 05:27 PM  
Redeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
I've never seen anyone discuss this before (in articles or print), but I tend to agree with Cooper. I think as we get older, strength training becomes more and more important.
ITA! We lose muscle mass as we age; therefore, strength training becomes more important.

At least, that's my experience. I've increased my weight training dramatically, and I'm very pleased with the results.
Old 02-09-08, 06:00 PM  
MariaKatherine

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathAL79
I'm not sure I like the implication that we young ones should just go run on a treadmill 4-5 days a week and then pick up a couple of weights one day. I'll do as much strength training as I want, thank you very much!
ITA!!!!

"You've got to say, I think that if I keep working at this and want it badly enough I can have it. It's called perseverance."
--Lee Iacocca
MariaKatherine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
over 50, success story