Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-13-20, 09:29 AM  
alisoncooks

Walking: pre-walk and post-walk routine

Today I did an Egoscue pre-walk warmup and post-walk stretch from YouTube.

I really enjoyed them and plan to add them to my walk days. But of course, being a proper vidiot...I'm wondering what else is out there! I found this warmup -- and she also has a post-walk stretch, so may try that if I'm tighter on time.

Do you have a walking routine? How much and how often do you walk?
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-20, 09:35 AM  
Gams

Our weather has been hot and humid lately, so I’m not enjoying outdoor walks like I usually do. I have a puppy, though, so I’ve been getting out for a short walk with him every morning. He likes being out but still goes around in circles a lot and I spend a lot of time untangling us.

I ordered a dog stroller from Chewy. It is supposed to be delivered today and I’m looking forward to using it to walk with my 15-year old blind dog. I hope it cools off soon.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-20, 06:21 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Due to working from home during the pandemic, I've been walking 2 miles at the local park, first thing in the morning (like 6am!!). To get my body moving, I spend about 10 minutes doing some light calisthenics and dynamic stretches before my walk. After the walk, back at home, I do some stretches for my quads and hamstrings. Then log on to work!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-20, 12:09 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I walk whenever I can fit it into my day -- dropping off/picking up kids from preschool/camp/school/swim class, to the grocery story, to grab takeout occasionally -- and sometimes if I wake up early enough (6 to 6:30 AM) and am just not in the mood for floor aerobics/weights/kettlebells/yoga and if the weather is good (more often than not in the mornings where I live!), I'll just put on my gear and get in 45-60 mins of brisk walking. I also will actively stroll around the neighborhood in the evenings for 20 mins if I need to get in some steps before dinner time I aim for 10K steps minimum, but my typical day is more like 13K steps and on days I go hiking with hubby, as high as 20K-25K!
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-20, 05:47 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
Our weather has been hot and humid lately, so I’m not enjoying outdoor walks like I usually do. I have a puppy, though, so I’ve been getting out for a short walk with him every morning. He likes being out but still goes around in circles a lot and I spend a lot of time untangling us.

I ordered a dog stroller from Chewy. It is supposed to be delivered today and I’m looking forward to using it to walk with my 15-year old blind dog. I hope it cools off soon.
It's hot here, too! We've been going out early, though not as early as I'd like -- my teens are sloooow to drag out the door and I'm making them walk w/me.

What kind of dogs do you have?
Old 07-15-20, 05:51 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
Due to working from home during the pandemic, I've been walking 2 miles at the local park, first thing in the morning (like 6am!!). To get my body moving, I spend about 10 minutes doing some light calisthenics and dynamic stretches before my walk. After the walk, back at home, I do some stretches for my quads and hamstrings. Then log on to work!
Do you just wing your stretch routine and warmup? I always did just whatever came to mind, but that 20-min Egoscue cool down I've been doing is great! My kids even do it with me! (Our fave part is the 5-minutes of laying on our backs with our feet up on the couch, lol.)
Old 07-15-20, 05:55 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanywu View Post
I walk whenever I can fit it into my day -- dropping off/picking up kids from preschool/camp/school/swim class, to the grocery story, to grab takeout occasionally -- and sometimes if I wake up early enough (6 to 6:30 AM) and am just not in the mood for floor aerobics/weights/kettlebells/yoga and if the weather is good (more often than not in the mornings where I live!), I'll just put on my gear and get in 45-60 mins of brisk walking. I also will actively stroll around the neighborhood in the evenings for 20 mins if I need to get in some steps before dinner time I aim for 10K steps minimum, but my typical day is more like 13K steps and on days I go hiking with hubby, as high as 20K-25K!
Goals!!
Wow, that's a lot of walking! I'm jealous. I wish my neighborhood was more walking-friendly but I usually have to drive to where we walk. I could walk to a few places but it would include walking on the side of a busy road (which I hate to do, especially if the kids are with me).
Old 07-15-20, 10:09 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I don't warm up or cool down for walks, just start a bit slower at the beginning and at the end... well, I'm usually jumping right into something else (work meeting, kiddie duties, etc.) I do fit in yoga a few times a week to get some flexibility and mobility training in, aside from strength training. And my steps include any arm motions from lifting weights (high reps = kinda like more steps!) and I sometimes will do floor aerobics in the morning if I know I can't get out much to walk on a given day (so I get a few thousand steps in early before life gets in my way!) I also am very fortunate to live in a very walkable neighborhood without having to live in a big city (don't miss those days!) and the weather here is incredible most of the year (I often just look up at the clear sky on a non-windy/non-rainy day and express my awe and gratitude for what a beautiful day it is!)
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
walking