Old 11-03-13, 03:04 AM  
lila_says

kind of awesome (esp. for kids) Power Girl Fitness

Stumbled accross this on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNgjuO80drQ#t=1005
lila_says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-13, 11:57 AM  
JAusten

At first this made me a little sad for some reason. I guess I'm thinking that 10 year old girls should just be being kids... playing outside, running, jumping and just getting exercise naturally the way kids always have. But the reality is, I suppose, that most of them aren't doing that.
The more I watched it the more I didn't hate it.
I would have liked it better if the girls were wearing little t-shirts and shorts. That young instructor is an athlete and I cringe to think of other 10 year old girls already beginning to have body issues looking at her abs. If the outfits were replaced with something more akin to "playwear" I would have thought it was very nice.
JAusten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-13, 02:21 PM  
alisoncooks

I remember seeing this here on VF a little while back.
I believe it was met with mixed opinions then, as well...
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-13, 02:31 PM  
suegy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I remember seeing this here on VF a little while back.
I believe it was met with mixed opinions then, as well...
I don't like the outfits at all.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-13, 02:36 PM  
ellaenchanted

I don't see the point of them wearing sport bra tops and spandex short shorts. A tank and running shorts would have been more appropriate.

I like the of non-team sport choices. There are fitness clubs at lots of schools around here where kids exercise and have fun without having to play a game or be in competition.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-13, 03:41 PM  
lila_says

Ah sorry, I hadn't realized this had already been in VF threads. In terms of the outfits/abs what have you, I do think (remembering myself around that age) think it's nice for kids to have fit, age appropriate, non-sexualized peers to look up to. Also the workout itself seems decent
lila_says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-13, 04:18 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

In regards to the outfits, I think that's what the girls probably wear when they do gymnastics or dance. If it's not a sports bra, then they would wear a leotard. They wouldn't wear a tank top because that would ride up and running shorts doesn't allow instructors to see lines or they get in the way for certain events.
Old 11-03-13, 05:41 PM  
ellaenchanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen S View Post
In regards to the outfits, I think that's what the girls probably wear when they do gymnastics or dance. If it's not a sports bra, then they would wear a leotard. They wouldn't wear a tank top because that would ride up and running shorts doesn't allow instructors to see lines or they get in the way for certain events.
Well, yeah, but this is for a public youtube video. It just comes off as being a bit much. Leotards cover a lot. None of the schools here use sports bra tops especially at younger ages. But this isn't even gymnastics or dance- it's a basic fitness routine for fun. I'm not a prude by any means but I expect that outfit on high schoolers or older.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-13, 06:11 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellaenchanted View Post
But this isn't even gymnastics or dance- it's a basic fitness routine for fun. I'm not a prude by any means but I expect that outfit on high schoolers or older.
Yes, but IIRC, one of the kiddos in the video is a competitive dancer of some sort. So I imagine she dresses that way for her sport.

(That said, my daughters don't dress this way and I would NOT allow them to have a video on youtube dressed like that for all the world to view.)
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-13, 08:35 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellaenchanted View Post
Well, yeah, but this is for a public youtube video. It just comes off as being a bit much. Leotards cover a lot. None of the schools here use sports bra tops especially at younger ages. But this isn't even gymnastics or dance- it's a basic fitness routine for fun. I'm not a prude by any means but I expect that outfit on high schoolers or older.
I just don't think they thought that much about it. The outfits are just something that they wear on a regular basis.