Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-14-13, 01:00 PM  
hotncmom

Need new shoes, so confused!

I bought a pair of cross trainers a couple of years ago and I think it's time to replace them. I have been experiencing aching in my big toe joint every time I walk. So, I'm looking for new shoes. The problem is function vs. style.

How I use shoes: I primarily walk outside or on the treadmill. Sometimes I do the elliptical, sometimes I do DVD workouts that require shoes (AWT and cardio), and sometimes I wear them while I rebound. I have dance sneakers for dance type workouts where you have to do a lot of pivoting. My running days are behind me and I do most of my workouts barefoot.

The problem: 1) I'm not sure crosstrainers provide the right support for walking 2) Walking shoes are ugly 3) I'm not sure if running shoes are useful for walking 4) I'm not sure running shoes provide lateral stability for some of the DVD cardio (skaters, for example).

I really don't want to have to buy 2 (or 3) pairs of shoes! Would a pair of running shoes suffice for walking and the occasional DVD workout? Because it seems all the cute shoes are running shoes these days!

Thanks!
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-13, 01:22 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I only buy running shoes and use them for walking, running, and my aerobic dvds. I prefer them and find them lighter than a cross trainer, but that's just me.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-13, 01:29 PM  
sherry7899

From what I've read (and I'm no expert!) running shoes do not provide enough lateral support for floor cardio.

If this isn't correct, someone please jump in and correct me!

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-13, 02:11 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I am not an expert either and I don't know all the technical details, but I have never had an issue using my running shoes for cardio. But I don't do super advanced cardio or boot camps like Cathe, Jillian, or similar. I am into stuff like Caribbean Workout, Karen Voight, Jenny Ford, BellyFit, Chris Freytag and such which are more intermediate and not at a breakneck pace. But if you are into the fast paced, advanced workouts that may be the case with running shoes vs cross trainers.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-13, 02:30 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
I only buy running shoes and use them for walking, running, and my aerobic dvds. I prefer them and find them lighter than a cross trainer, but that's just me.
Me too. I recently purchased the Nike shoe Jessica Smith wears in her YouTube workouts and cannot rave about them enough. You can find info them on her website blog.

Crosstrainers KILL my feet. I know Jessica and Stephanie Huckabee both said they wear running shoes for all their workouts.
Old 01-14-13, 04:20 PM  
Janzia
VF Supporter

I wear running shoes for all workouts too. I tried cross trainers before and they killed my feet, might have been a poor choice of shoes for my feet but I think I'll stick with running shoes from here on out.

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."~John "the Penguin" Bingham
Janzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-13, 04:25 PM  
Fitstick

I use crosstrainers for workouts such as aerobics, step, kickbox and I use running shoes for running/walking or jogging. There are a lot more choices for crosstrainers now. I find it easiest just to go to my local DSW and try on a bunch. If you already know what brand you like, you might be able to find them at another store on clearance.

I would think that you could use running shoes for walking since its the same motion.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-13, 04:33 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
Crosstrainers KILL my feet.
Oh mine too! I need to go as light and flexible as possible and cross-trainers don't do it for me.
Quote:
I know Jessica and Stephanie Huckabee both said they wear running shoes for all their workouts.
I did not know this - interesting to know!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-13, 04:40 PM  
Mandy

I wear running shoes...yes, they don't give lateral support but I have other foot issues that need a shoe that "breathes" and doesn't suffocate my foot. Chalene Johnson wears Nike Shox for all her Turbo Kick,Jam,Fire workouts. If anyone saw her Nike Shox collection in one Turbo Jam dvds, you would be shocked..literally..haha. There is alot of lateral movement in Turbo Fire. I used to teach Turbo Kick and found if you do kicking, the lighter the shoe, the better for your knees. That's why I choose the lightweight Nike running shoes or the less expensive, Saucony. Tracie Long wears Saucony for some of her workouts.
Also, I went to a sports doctor and she said to get running shoes. Those are the best.

I like Ryka too but the highest they go is an 11... and I have a big ol' foot
Old 01-14-13, 04:48 PM  
binky10

Lately I find that the ball of my foot is sore after prolonged treadmill or floor exercise. I'm wondering if a running shoe would be better for this, as opposed to my walking shoe?
binky10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
running shoes, shoes