Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-12, 12:30 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Recommendations for wide cross-trainers?

I need your recs for wide cross-trainers, ones I can do kickboxing, etc in. I usually end up getting running shoes but my feet are increasingly unhappy with them. TIA!!
ETA - I prefer a lighter, 'barefoot' feel... just don't know what's out there.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 02:05 PM  
katalina

I used to love Ryka Crosstrainers. Alas, finding them in a wide width is virtually impossible lately. I'm not sure why that is but sure hope they start making them again!! I would've hoarded them if I had known they would stop making them...

Kathy
katalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 02:43 PM  
moonbeam31

AVIA shoes seem to run nice and wide accross the toe box. I can get my true size 8.5 in them all the time. In Nikes and Rykas I have to get a 9 just to compensate for width-those are narrow IMO. I have wide feet that fan out at the toes like an inverted triangle. I call them my little FLintstone feet. I also had good luck with Fila cross trainers in my true size 8.5 also. My toes can get cramped and go numb in a lot of other brands! I love barefoot workouts as well. Hope this helps.
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 04:36 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

My DH has pretty wide feet and has used New Balance shoes for years. I just got my first pair (literally delivered an hour ago) from Famous Footwear. They seem as cushioned as my older Rykas. Looking forward to trying them! If you're not looking for a lot of cushioning, they do have a variety of options. I actually ordered two pairs and will be returning the less cushy one. A lot (if not all) of their shoes do come in wide widths.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 06:30 PM  
sherry7899

I have this pair from Kohls-I get them when they are on sale for $29.99, plus I use a coupon. I only wear them indoors, so I don't care that the design/colors would not be my first choice:

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/shoe...ers++Women.jsp

I've also gotten wide width Reebok Cross Trainers there, but I don't see them listed on the website any longer.

Those were the ONLY pair of wide width cross trainers I could find in Kohl's the last time I looked!

I like the cross trainers because I do a lot of lateral movements (kickboxing and dance workouts) and the running shoes just don't have enough support for me for that movement.

If you have Sears near you, they have New Balance Cross Trainers on sale in wide width:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=Athleticmv=rr

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 06:38 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

I've worn New Balance for years but I have to wear men's shoes. I have one pair of women's shoes in a D width (which is hard to find; I had to order them from the NB website) but they're just a smidge more narrow than I would like.

However, my current faves are Asics 260T. They are so comfortable and they have great stability for something like kickbox. They look as if they would be heavy and cumbersome but they don't feel that way to me. I love them and I appreciate Anita for mentioning them to me. I have to wear men's in these as well. I tried a pair of women's because I wanted purple but they didn't have it in wide and it made my feet go numb.
Old 07-26-12, 06:41 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

I have to recommend New Balance also. They really are the only brand that I know of that really has wide widths for women. My daughter has wide/fat feet, and New Balance is the only brand that fits her feet.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 08:57 PM  
PrincessKick

Another vote for New Balance.
PrincessKick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 09:22 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I have "duck feet", with wide-spread toes, and my biggest problem with most shoes is rubbing against the outer, metatarsal joint where many shoes have a rough seam.

I NB Minimus Life shoes - they're not padded, but they're so lightweight and comfortable and made for wearing without socks. There's a review here (they like last year's version, the one I linked to, better than this year's version). They run one size small.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 09:29 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Thank you for all your suggestions!
The last time I tried New Balance was many years ago and I remember not loving the fit back then. I'm perfectly willing to try some newer styles through Zappo's though. Ryka, Avia, Asics... these are usually not carried in wide widths near me so I haven't had much luck with them. Again, very willing to try! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeam31 View Post
My toes can get cramped and go numb in a lot of other brands!
Ugh me too!! My feet give out way before my legs do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
I NB Minimus Life shoes - they're not padded, but they're so lightweight and comfortable and made for wearing without socks. There's a review here (they like last year's version, the one I linked to, better than this year's version). They run one size small.
Wow, these look interesting, thanks!
Looking at Zappo's site, has anyone tried New Balance WX20? I love its lightweight minimalist styling too.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crosstrainers, shoes, wide width shoes