Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-17-12, 05:33 PM  
moonbeam31

dance sneaker question?

Are split sole dance sneakers like Bloch or Capezio the best for doing Barre and Ballet and Dance workouts in? I have been having some pain in the ball of my left foot lately and I just got some new Barre workouts that require being in the tip toe releve' posistion and it hurst the ball of my foot! Do these typically have enough cushion at that area of the shoe? I would think a split sole would help with being in the releve' posistion a lot more than a regular running/walking or cross trainer. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. I do have the Bloch Boost and the Capexio Rock it canvas split sole shoes on my wishlist and I know you have to get 2 sizes up as well.
Thanks!
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-12, 08:38 PM  
lorajc

I wear mine for all barre workouts, dance and pilates. I love them. They do help you point better also and mine are good for pivoting in for Zumba also. I have Bloch's and another off-brand cheapo pair I picked up.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-12, 08:43 PM  
EnglishIvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeam31 View Post
Are split sole dance sneakers like Bloch or Capezio the best for doing Barre and Ballet and Dance workouts in? I have been having some pain in the ball of my left foot lately and I just got some new Barre workouts that require being in the tip toe releve' posistion and it hurst the ball of my foot! Do these typically have enough cushion at that area of the shoe? I would think a split sole would help with being in the releve' posistion a lot more than a regular running/walking or cross trainer. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. I do have the Bloch Boost and the Capexio Rock it canvas split sole shoes on my wishlist and I know you have to get 2 sizes up as well.
Thanks!
I have a Capezio and a Bloch pair (can't remember the specific styles at the moment) and they have been great for cushioning the ball of the foot without restricting the bend in the arch/forefoot region. Love them when I've spent too much time on the ball of my foot and need some extra padding (over bare feet, which I prefer). MUCH, MUCH better for this type of work than a regular tennis shoe. HTH.
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-12, 04:12 AM  
ElisaB

These sounds like they would be great for the TA dance workouts, as well! Might have to get a pair.

“You don't have to be perfect to be AMAZING
ElisaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-12, 04:38 AM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

I use these cushions in relatively inexpensive split-sole canvas ballet slippers and jazz shoes (from discountdance.com) for all the workouts I used to do barefoot (except yoga, of course) and it has solved the problem for me.

ETA -- I also put them into my dance sneakers and Mizuno Wave Inspire 7's I wear for high impact cardio. (BTW, I have wide feet to begin with and usually buy mens sneakers now to accommodate all the orthotics I use. The only dance sneaker I've found that comes in a wide width is Sansha's unisex "Voltage" and which comes in several colors and either rubber or leather soles.)
Old 07-18-12, 08:33 AM  
moonbeam31

thanks so much everyone for your responses! I have wide feet too and hope I can find a dance sneaker to fit well-I will check into the mens Sansha one you mentioned Judith!
Old 07-18-12, 10:52 AM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Moonbeam, I wear a size 7.5 W street shoe and ordered the unisex Voltage in sizes 9W & 10W and preferred the 10. I got it in black from Dance Express where they were only available in wide with the rubber soles but that is what I wanted. At the time Discount Dance Supply, where I usually order from, only carried them in a cream color.

In checking my sneakers, I see I didn't put the above-mentioned cushions in the Voltage dance sneakers (didn't need to) only the Mizuno Inspires, and I said, in my ballet slippers and jazz shoes.

Good luck!
Old 07-18-12, 11:07 AM  
moonbeam31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith L View Post
Moonbeam, I wear a size 7.5 W street shoe and ordered the unisex Voltage in sizes 9W & 10W and preferred the 10. I got it in black from Dance Express where they were only available in wide with the rubber soles but that is what I wanted. At the time Discount Dance Supply, where I usually order from, only carried them in a cream color.

In checking my sneakers, I see I didn't put the above-mentioned cushions in the Voltage dance sneakers (didn't need to) only the Mizuno Inspires, and I said, in my ballet slippers and jazz shoes.

Good luck!
Thank you so much- it gets confusing with all the small sizing. I read a bunch of reviews on amazon and some say 1 size up ans some say 2 sizes up. I wear about a 8.5-9 because of width-so I should go with an 11 or even a 12 in the brand you specified? I do have wide feet too.
Old 07-18-12, 12:11 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Moonbeam, I have a friend who has begun to work out with dvds and she wears almost the same size shoe as I do. When she tried on my Voltage dance sneakers she thought they were a bit too large/long at the toes but if you are on the balls of your feet a lot you need the space around the toes. I think 11W should be okay for you - make sure they're W and not M!

In these canvas ballet slippers I wear a size 8W with the cushion placed inside (and a wee bit of cushioning at the heel). I wear these for all barre workouts and for working on my AeroPilates reformer. Yet in Capezio canvas jazz shoes I wear 8.5 or 9...

You might read all the reviews on the Discount Dance Supply website for the Voltage sneakers (which they carry only in "cream"), and the ballet slippers or anything else you may be thinking of, before deciding on sizing, even if you buy them from elsewhere.

Tags
bloch, capezio, dance shoes, dance sneakers, shoes