Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-12, 03:15 PM  
suegy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishIvy View Post
It takes time to re-balance and strengthen the weaker muscles in your legs/feet, but if you have the patience the Vibram type "shoes" are excellent for this. Training barefoot or in the Vibrams has really strengthened my legs and decreased aches and injuries. Orthotics/cushions can feel good during training but they only seemed to further weaken my feet. That makes sense since they impede the natural movement of the foot and keep certain muscles in resting mode via extra "support". Of course it's an individual thing (not looking to be flamed by orthotic lovers ) and you may need to experiment. But in my experience, the gradual strengthening of the legs/feet via barefoot type training has numerous benefits.
I agree. When I wear my Vibrams, I'm much more conscious of how I'm walking. I have the Jaya model.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 04:13 PM  
Lannette

I used to be an underpronator. I changed it through a combination of postural restructuring and massage therapy. I'm almost neutral now. Hoping to be totally neutral by the end of the year.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 05:15 PM  
katmom

Pratima, I had good luck with the Ascis Gel-Ipera. Zappos has some of the colors on sale now.
Old 06-05-12, 05:41 PM  
ellaenchanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
I used to be an underpronator. I changed it through a combination of postural restructuring and massage therapy. I'm almost neutral now. Hoping to be totally neutral by the end of the year.
What is postural restructuring?

I prefer minimalist shoes for working out - the least amount of stability/motion control the better for me. I was thinking that maybe I need to do more balane/one legged work barefoot to strengthen my feet and ankles.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 05:43 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmom View Post
Pratima, I had good luck with the Ascis Gel-Ipera. Zappos has some of the colors on sale now.
There was just one color on sale and I ordered the last one of it in my size. Thanks for the recommendation! I was actually looking at that one online this morning.

I have a pair of Saucony Kinvaras. They're semi-minimalist. They work for some activities, but not others.

I've found that the work in V-core helps strengthen my ankles, feet, etc. and that does seem to help with stability. I just need to do it more often!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 04:16 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellaenchanted View Post
What is postural restructuring?

I prefer minimalist shoes for working out - the least amount of stability/motion control the better for me. I was thinking that maybe I need to do more balane/one legged work barefoot to strengthen my feet and ankles.
Postural restructuring is basically using rehabilitative exercise, massage therapy or in my case a combination to reverse postural deviation and bring the body back into alignment. I used the foot exercises I mentioned in the postural thread to strengthen, realign and make my feet more supple. I also wear minimalist shoes or no shoes whenever possible.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 08:35 AM  
3ks

I, too, am an underpronator.

I need extremely cushioned shoes. My favorite shoe is the Nike Women's Equalon+4. The best cushioned shoe I have tried. I have gone through Asics and New Balance. Asics worked until I gained a few pounds and passed their weight limit and then I started getting knee pain and shin splits. Then went to New Balance and was fine until I ordered another pair of the same (can't recall which number it was) and it just about destroyed my hips (long mileage). Then found the Nike Equalon+4 and haven't had any problems for the last few years.

Neutral Cushioned shoes are what work for underpronators - glad I have found my shoe.

Just my thoughts on this very interesting topic.

Tags
foot, over supinator, shoes, underpronator