Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-04-12, 07:47 PM  
ellaenchanted

Any other underpronators (aka over supinators)?

It's not a major issue but I was wonder if there is anything I can do to improve this? I have always underpronated and you can definitely tell by the way my shoes get worn. I think a more neutral gait may improve my jogging and tendency to get tight calves, hams, and hips.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 10:24 AM  
MM-Om

YES! I am underpronator just from looking at my shoes (never really diagnosed) We are the minority Most of the people are over-pronators and most athletic shoes are geared towards overpronators. They are few that are fine for us. When you shop for sneakers it is important that you get neutral shoes and also shoes with lots of cushioning. I have saucony neutral running shoe for walking outside and new balance cross trainer for home workouts. It is not easy to find shoes for underpronators. And there is also not much info on how to correct this. I do find my calves having lots of trigger points and this gives me feet pain, so I have to regularly massage my calfs, shins and also my IT band. On top of being underpronator, I have flat feet, which is not very common with underpronators from what I read. I do wear orthotics in my sneakers but not all of them work, since most are made for overpronators. I have tried bunch of orthotics and I am very happy with these 2 orthotics. They have nice cushioning as well:
http://www.healthyfeetstore.com/orth...ole-sport.html
http://www.shop.com/Lynco_174_Sports...?sourceid=1414
Old 06-05-12, 11:04 AM  
EnglishIvy

It takes time to re-balance and strengthen the weaker muscles in your legs/feet, but if you have the patience the Vibram type "shoes" are excellent for this. Training barefoot or in the Vibrams has really strengthened my legs and decreased aches and injuries. Orthotics/cushions can feel good during training but they only seemed to further weaken my feet. That makes sense since they impede the natural movement of the foot and keep certain muscles in resting mode via extra "support". Of course it's an individual thing (not looking to be flamed by orthotic lovers ) and you may need to experiment. But in my experience, the gradual strengthening of the legs/feet via barefoot type training has numerous benefits.
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 11:21 AM  
kali1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishIvy View Post
It takes time to re-balance and strengthen the weaker muscles in your legs/feet, but if you have the patience the Vibram type "shoes" are excellent for this. Training barefoot or in the Vibrams has really strengthened my legs and decreased aches and injuries. Orthotics/cushions can feel good during training but they only seemed to further weaken my feet. That makes sense since they impede the natural movement of the foot and keep certain muscles in resting mode via extra "support". Of course it's an individual thing (not looking to be flamed by orthotic lovers ) and you may need to experiment. But in my experience, the gradual strengthening of the legs/feet via barefoot type training has numerous benefits.
I'll have to look into this. I am a underpronator as well
kali1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 12:30 PM  
DianaH

I just have no idea. I had one Physical Therapist tell me that I overpronated but a week later a different one told me I supinated. I now take all this talk with a grain of salt...
DianaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 12:44 PM  
katmom

I am also a supinator and find I am more likely to develop plantar fasciitis if I do too much bare foot walking or training (developed PF while doing a barre rotation).

I have yet to find anything to reverse the supination other than the orthotics. I went to a chiropractor for about 3-4 years and now go to a myofascia massage therapist, but still have supination.

Neutral support with cushioning is the recommended shoe for supinators. The Saucony shoes did not work for me, but Brooks or Asics have worked for me. However, I find a cross trainer with some stability to be the better choice for my feet.
Old 06-05-12, 01:20 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I went to a running shoe store a couple of years ago and found that my right foot turns out when I run (they videotaped me). They initially put me in neutral shoes, but I took them back because just one run showed me they weren't right for me (sore knees). I ended up with a pair of Brooks Ravenna, which have worked well. I just bought a replacement pair, along with the Asics 2170. They had me try on a pair of Saucony shoes too but they didn't feel supportive enough.

I'm not sure how this affects my other workouts. I suppose it could be a problem with something like step, but does it matter for say, kickboxing?

Oh, and from what I've read, mechanics seem to be related at least somewhat to what type of arch you have. People with higher arches are more likely to underpronate, and to have problems like plantar fasciitis.

Katmom, which cross trainers do you like? Most seem to not have enough arch support for me. I'm looking at some Asics on Amazon as I write this.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 01:33 PM  
JEWEL659

I am a supinator as well & find it hard to find athletic shoes that are wide enough. Just look for lots of cushioning.
Old 06-05-12, 01:37 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEWEL659 View Post
I am a supinator as well & find it hard to find athletic shoes that are wide enough. Just look for lots of cushioning.
That's one thing I like about my new Ravenna 3s--they have a wider toe box than the original version.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 03:11 PM  
lirko

just switching from a motion control to a neutral running shoe has made a HUGE difference for me...
lirko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foot, over supinator, shoes, underpronator