Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-09, 04:14 AM  
Debbie M

CLX - While I don't have a problem (she can grate on me on a "hormonal" day, but generally she is fun) with Chalean's personality and I liked Turbo Jam, CLX was just not for me. I found the combination moves awkard at best, and, at worst, a back injury waiting to happen. The individual exercises were boring and repetitive. There was a lopsided and counterintutitive volume of training for the upper body muscles. Shoulder work especially stands out. I also dislike circuit workouts which all of her CLX cardio workouts were.

Cathe - I like Cathe's personality best of the three listed. I like her workouts but do agree with everyone about the upper body isolation overkill. I have to modify alot (which I hate doing) to make her upper body workouts make sense to me. I also cannot do any of her step because it is too complex for me. I have not even started STS because it just keeps yelling "dread factor" at me. I sold Meso 3 because I could not justify the expense and room that all of the extra weights would take up in my small workout room. I am strong so my 1RM numbers are large. I had to buy new weights just for Meso 2.

Jillian - I honestly won't even buy a Jilllian workout just based on her persona. I have watched Mary's 4 minute clips and they only confirmed my feelings. I also don't like circuit workouts or too much impact. Jillian seems to be the Queen of both! I do respect that she has a really good base of sound fitness knowledge.)

So I guess for me, I would choose Cathe for strength (modified) and Chalene for cardio...especially if Turbo Fire is more athletic (less dancing involved) than Turbo Jam!

Deb
Debbie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 05:29 AM  
acescholar

Cathe's workouts are the foundation of my fitness program!

Most of my workout week is done with Cathe, although I don't use the isolated upper body dvds that often. When I do upper body work, I often reach for Pyramid Upper Body. Mostly, for upper body work, I do circuits like High Step Training Advanced (one of my favorites workouts). I love Cathe's step, intervals (love the Imaxes), circuits, kickboxing, and lower body workouts -- and these make-up the core of my exercise. I probably use the Imaxes most of Cathe's, and next the various workouts with leg presses, and also her "unnamed" series (BM2, B & G, DM, LIC, CF).

I enjoy Turbo Kick, and I include it in my kickboxing rotations. I love the cardio from CLX, but haven't yet tried the other workouts (which I bought used).

I like Jillian, and I use Shred now and then. I like her first set of workouts as well, and I often take her Cardio Kickbox with me on business trips -- it's a great drill workout that can be done in a little space -- and I do it twice along with other workouts. I had her newest, but traded them because I wasn't working them into my overall plan. Because I'm a leg press maniac, I tend to reach for HSTA when I want a circuit workout.
acescholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 06:13 AM  
bearcatfan

I find good value in Cathe's workouts. When I want a short workout, I can choose any number of premixes (I'm currently in love with Body Max 2 Upper - 20 minutes and a GREAT upper body workout). A lot of times I will shorten biceps, but that's about it. I know she won't forget a side, or do something weird that will injure me. I know what I'm getting, and I'm getting what I like. Her cardio is fun for me. I like fun, good production and a pleasant personality while working hard, and she fits the bill.

I didn't enjoy the one CLX workout I did. Just plain weird, and it twinged my lower back (and nothing ever does). Glad for the folks who like it, I hated it.

I've not really gotten into Jillian. Like Deb, I appreciate that she has a lot of fitness knowledge. I just don't like to be yelled at when I work out, so that's keeping me from her workouts. Shallow, I know.
Old 06-11-09, 07:04 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatfan View Post

I've not really gotten into Jillian. Like Deb, I appreciate that she has a lot of fitness knowledge. I just don't like to be yelled at when I work out, so that's keeping me from her workouts. Shallow, I know.
Those of you who say that Jillian "yells" at you. In what workout does she yell? I don't remember any yelling in the ones I do! Just curious!
Old 06-11-09, 07:16 AM  
acescholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
Those of you who say that Jillian "yells" at you. In what workout does she yell? I don't remember any yelling in the ones I do! Just curious!
I really like Jillian's presence in her newest three. Very down to earth and encouraging, no yelling. She also looks fabulous.

She has a sort of drill sargeant attitude in the very first workouts (Cardio Kick and Front and Backside), but it feels more like a pretend role than real yelling. It doesn't bother me.

I'd love to take a live class from her.
acescholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 07:29 AM  
jeanie

I don't have CLX, so I can't comment on that.

I really love Cathe, but sometimes I get burned out on her. Not sure why.

I was NOT a Jillian fan -- I even bought "30 Day Shred" and gave it away. A few months ago, I picked up her newest videos -- "No More Trouble Zones" and "Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism". I didn't "click" right away, but now I'm LOVING these! I even repurchased the Shred workout! Jillian doesn't yell in any of these, but she does push you. I'm seeing some great results. I hope she comes out with more workouts so I don't get sick of these.
jeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 07:32 AM  
Janga

I haven't seen or done any CLX so can't say. What works for me is mixing everything up.

I don't really like Cathe but like her more traditional weight lifting approach as it is best for building strength.

Jillian's method (and this high energy circuit training approach with light weights) gets results also. I sometimes like Jillian and sometimes can't stand her, depends on my mood.

It's all good. I hate the idea of putting any exercise method or modality down. Things work in different ways at different times for everyone, although my general preference is traditional, but I like the other stuff sometimes as well.

Results for me come when I am consistent in exercise, doesn't matter so much what I do.
Janga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 07:35 AM  
Debbie M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
For me, it is not about her "yelling". It is an attitude she exudes that makes me feel she is full of herself and condescending/intolerant.

I cannot fully explain it and mean no offence to those who like her. I just got a strong feeling that I would not click with her style.

Deb
Debbie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 08:18 AM  
GMonkey

Haven't tried CLX yet, I'm waiting for my knee to heal. Chalene occasionally annoys me in her Turbo Jam series, but it's nothing serious.

Love, love, love Cathe's workouts. They are so fun and have really helped to change my body, but--I really messed up my knee doing LIC. It also bothers me that her low impact stuff is not truly low impact. Additionally, her dvds tend to be more expensive.

I've done Jillian's stuff On Demand. Since her cardio moves are simple, you need to be really self-accountable and I don't think that I have enough self-discipline for that. Her workouts are great while I'm recovering from my knee injury, though because I can easily modify.

I'm going to do a rotation of the Gaiam strong knees, TLT, walking and swimming through summer. For the fall, I'm planning Classical Stretch alternating with KCM. Hopefully, I'll be up for CLX in January. Then, I'll do lots of cardio and barre work to prep for next summer.
GMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 08:54 AM  
Gardengirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie M View Post
For me, it is not about her "yelling". It is an attitude she exudes that makes me feel she is full of herself and condescending/intolerant.

I cannot fully explain it and mean no offence to those who like her. I just got a strong feeling that I would not click with her style. Deb
I understand about not liking Jillian. I felt the same way. I thought she was cocky, arrogant and smug! Until I actually started using her workouts and listening to her podcasts (have never watched BL). It was then that I realized that all that arrogant, cocky, smug attitude was pretty much all an act. If you do her workouts you can see she's joking around with the other people when she "yells" and that she actually has a pretty good relationship with all of them. In fact, I saw some nervous giggles and vulnerability in some of her early workouts. Her newer ones NMTZ and BFBM are the more down to earth side of Jillian. Her podcasts actually show a very sensitive and caring Jillian (who knew???).

Not trying to change your mind about liking Jillian or her workouts. They aren't for everyone. Just saying that I felt the same and totally changed my mind. She is now one of my favorite workout instructors!

Tags
cathe friedrich, chalene johnson, clx, jillian michaels