Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-09, 03:22 PM  
woodie

Honest discussion abotu Cathe, CLX, and Jillian

Who do you like better and why? What works for you? I did Cathe for years and then , after a 3 month period of doing Tracy Effinger exclusively for strength, I started Jillian's workouts and LOVE her. I also see more definition from her than I did from Cathe. I also LOVE that her workouts are so short! But that's my story.

What's your take?

woodie

New Butisattva

woodie
woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 04:36 PM  
Kyra

I've met and I do personally like Cathe, but her workouts are just too freaking long, and she's way too parts-y for me, although there are exceptions in her catalogue. I'm very much a get to the point person and she doesn't. Jillian gets to the point, and apparently CLX gets to the point, although I have yet to do it.

I mean, honestly? Don't make me do biceps curls until my eyes glaze over. Doesn't make for a lasting video relationship.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 04:53 PM  
woodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
Don't make me do biceps curls until my eyes glaze over.
LOL!!! My sentiments exactly!

woodie

New Butisattva

woodie
woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 05:50 PM  
leslie w
VF Supporter

I get the best results with barre and hi rep/low weight workouts, so while I love Cathe for so many reasons and I have all her workouts, I don't see the results I want when I do them. They are great for strength building, so I sometimes will do a month of Cathe's split routines followed by endurance muscle work. I prefer Cathe's personality and I never get tired of doing her vids, but I think she designs stuff w/ her body type in mind and I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum in that department.

I'm happy with the length of CLX and the workouts themselves but for some reason I can't get past the second phase and I've attempted a CLX rotation twice. I think Chalene's chattiness gets on my nerves and I burn out on her. Not to mention I don't see the results many have had with this series.

To be honest, I can't stand Jillian. I have the Shred workout but we don't click so I never do it.
leslie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 05:53 PM  
Jeanne Marie

I have found that a combination of Jillian (30DS, NMTZ and BFBM) and Cathe work for me!

I don't think it has to be all or nothing. Combine all of them. Mix it up!
Old 06-09-09, 07:26 PM  
tammy

Hi Woodie

Well I love Tracy but decided to do clx. This is my second month and I'm already down one entire pant size and a little bit more. My arms/shoulder/legs and waist are looking great. I'm so happy with the set. I'm watching inches just come off...it is great.

After this clx I may go back to tracy for a change) Every now and again I sneak in a knee dancing or waist but for now I have been doing CLX and some turbo Jam on cardio days.

I have never tried Jillian so can not really say...

I'm looking foward to chalene coming out with more to compliment clx...really it is a great program and I have not changes my eating.

Tammy)
tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 07:26 PM  
tammy

Oh for cathe..my fav of hers are the kickboxing type ones)

Tammy
tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 07:45 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyra View Post

I mean, honestly? Don't make me do biceps curls until my eyes glaze over. Doesn't make for a lasting video relationship.
LOL!
I just started STS today (finally!) and it does seem strange that there are an equal amount of exercises for the small muscle groups as for the large muscle groups.

I've also done some of Jillian's workouts this summer, and really like them. Definitely more time efficient than Cathe's, which is something I'm definitely into when school is on. I doubt I'll be doing STS once fall comes for that very reason (unless I cut the workouts in half, perhaps).

I also think Jillian is more encouraging for those who modify (she even shows a modifier, whereas Cathe talks the talk about modifying, but if you do modify, you don't get to work along "with" anyone.)

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 10:17 PM  
kiwichick

I am a huge Jillian fan and got great results doing the Shred for 30 days - probably would have been even better if I could exercise a bit of control over my sweet tooth!

I find I get better results if I stick to one thing or another for a few weeks rather than just hit and miss here and there. Unfortunately I have the attention span of a gnat which kind of flies in the face of that!

I have had to become quite disciplined to stick to my rotations, even though they never last for more than 4 or 6 weeks. Between each rotation I have taken to adding in a week of just doing whatever I feel like doing that day.

We have had a great dumping of snow here and as I live only 3 hours from the ski fields thats what I'll be spending my weekends doing for the next few months - so during the week I'll be focussing on my core strength and stamina. I'm thinking of trying to do an Ellen rotation for a few weeks to see how that ties in.

Not sure if I've answered your question, but hope that helps in some way!
kiwichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 03:27 AM  
Kyra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
LOL!
I just started STS today (finally!) and it does seem strange that there are an equal amount of exercises for the small muscle groups as for the large muscle groups.
I've never figured out her philosophy (keep the clients happy? make them work X long?) - I just don't know where she's going in her workouts. She is sweet IRL, but I wouldn't hire her as a PT.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe friedrich, chalene johnson, clx, jillian michaels