Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-13, 05:55 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
Again, that is what the check in threads are for. It's hard to feel like friends with 27,000+ people.

This is one of the policies which has existed since the beginning of VF. VF costs money to run and it's Wendy's prerogative to set boundaries to the discussion.
Well said Laura, I agree.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
Old 11-03-13, 06:17 PM  
Mollie F.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP44 View Post
Can't other moderators lock threads besides Wendy? Looking at the other VF forums besides GD, there are a couple that are barely used that could become dual purpose. Eg. "VF News & OT Threads"

I understand it costs $$ to run VF but if the problem isn't getting fixed by stickies that few people pay attention to (including myself!), maybe another approach is needed.

Joan
My understanding from previous discussions of this topic is that WWWendy knows that there will be occasional straying into OT--she just doesn't want the purpose of this board to be completely muddled, and the small number of moderators (all volunteers) can't be expected to police OT, as well as deal with everything else. VF does have a mission statement (http://www.videofitness.com/vfguidelines.php), and the section on OT reads "Exercise, fitness and wellness issues are ON topic, even if they do not specifically relate to videos. However, many times VFers discuss topics that are completely unrelated to our mission here. We do not like to police off-topic threads, but we strongly discourage them. We reserve the right to remove off-topic posts or threads that we deem to be controversial or inappropriate. Politics, religion, and plastic surgery are examples of volatile topics unrelated to fitness that are inappropriate here. On the other hand, we recognize that even on-topic threads frequently diverge into off-topic tangents, and that is a normal and appropriate circumstance in an active community. However, if you are thinking of starting a thread with OT in the title (or which should have OT in the title), please think twice, and remember that bandwidth is not free--VF has to pay for all those page views. In order to save space in our already very large forum database, OT threads may be removed once they are no longer active."
Old 11-03-13, 06:40 PM  
koinonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP44 View Post
Can't other moderators lock threads besides Wendy? Looking at the other VF forums besides GD, there are a couple that are barely used that could become dual purpose. Eg. "VF News & OT Threads"

I understand it costs $$ to run VF but if the problem isn't getting fixed by stickies that few people pay attention to (including myself!), maybe another approach is needed.

Joan
My guess is that having an OT subforum would be very popular with VFers and will elicit tons of new threads and discussion, which would no doubt require more bandwidth, server upgrades and money. And as others have mentioned, it would create more work for moderators. I also think an OT subforum could open a can of worms of controversy. I remember when the DWTS thread became political and contentious because Sarah Palin's daughter was a contestant, and the thread was predictably locked. lol
Old 11-03-13, 07:01 PM  
pumptmuscle

I always find it interesting that, despite everyone knowing how costly (literally) and irrelevant off topic threads are, they tend to be the most popular. As I write this, there are a total of 6 posts on the first three pages that have over 100 replies, not counting the stickies. Half of them are off topic, which of course, includes the ever present beauty thread. I have no clue why that's here at all. As one of the few male VFers, and knowing that this is essentially a woman's forum, I understand why it would be accepted. Let's face it, if Tony and Vito are hanging out at the sports bar watching football, you probably won't hear them talking about what lipstick or foundation they use.

Do I care about the off topic threads? No. Although they really shouldn't be here and I feel are disrespectful to Wendy, they're not really a big deal to me. I do think though that people who post off topic threads should consider Wendy and her feelings on the issue before doing so. Like driving, being here isn't a right; it's a privilege. If Wendy felt like it, she could wipe this whole site away with a few clicks. I know she wouldn't do that but the bottom line is she's doing us a favor by having this site up...a big favor. You wouldn't slap someone in the face as they're handing you a gift. An off-topic poster should be more respectful of the woman who's been nice enough to save us money, time and frustration by helping us not acquire workouts we otherwise wouldn't like through the information found here.

Fwiw, a lot of the off topic posts that ask questions could be solved with a simple Google search or mild amount of inquiry with someone directly. Of course, this is all just my 2 cents.

"We all have our own issues" - Lashaun Dale

"Hi, I'm Billy Blanks and welcome to Tae Bo" Billy Blanks - Tae Bo

** 50 time marathoner
** 15 time ultramarathoner (the longest was 40 miles)
** All time high scorer at Blast Billiards
Old 11-03-13, 07:10 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I rarely read off topic threads and they don't bother me other than that they take up room on the screen edging out on topic threads when I hit the "New Posts" link. The one off topic thread I do read is the reading thread. I am always interested to learn what books other vfers are reading.

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Old 11-03-13, 07:12 PM  
Mollie F.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumptmuscle View Post
Do I care about the off topic threads? No. Although they really shouldn't be here and I feel are disrespectful to Wendy, they're not really a big deal to me. I do think though that people who post off topic threads should consider Wendy and her feelings on the issue before doing so. Like driving, being here isn't a right; it's a privilege. If Wendy felt like it, she could wipe this whole site away with a few clicks. I know she wouldn't do that but the bottom line is she's doing us a favor by having this site up...a big favor. You wouldn't slap someone in the face as they're handing you a gift. An off-topic poster should be more respectful of the woman who's been nice enough to save us money, time and frustration by helping us not acquire workouts we otherwise wouldn't like through the information found here.

Fwiw, a lot of the off topic posts that ask questions could be solved with a simple Google search or mild amount of inquiry with someone directly. Of course, this is all just my 2 cents.
I completely agree, except that I think that VF has probably caused me to spend more money than I've saved .
Old 11-03-13, 07:12 PM  
mizach
VF Supporter

Sorry, I started an OT thread a few weeks ago. I promise not to do that anymore.
Old 11-03-13, 07:23 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollie F. View Post
I completely agree, except that I think that VF has probably caused me to spend more money than I've saved .
ROTFL! You are definitely not alone!

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

Old 11-03-13, 07:30 PM  
Irisg1

I have posted O.T. Threads myself in the past, and I got Wendy's point loud and clear, as I'm sure most of us did. It's probably best if everyone would stop beating others up about it. Why not let Wendy speak for herself and then let it go. After all she did a beautiful job of making her point WITHOUT hurting anyone's feelings.

Personally, I know answers can be found through a simple google search, and I do use google, the reason I post here, and I'm sure others feel the same way, is that I feel VF members are very knowledgeable and I value their opinion. In the future of course, I will refrain from starting any OT threads. i can't say I won't reply to one though, lol.
Old 11-03-13, 07:43 PM  
carole r.

I'm guilty of replying to OT threads. I agree that starting an OT forum would open a whole new set of problems not just bandwidth either. This board is made of people with many diverse viewpoints. I was over at YaYas. It had a great Open Chatter forum. After a while, it was regulated more and more. There were many ugly situations and a lot of trolling. The whole board is very inactive now. I would hate to see that happen here. Just keep it a fitness board and limit OT discussions. Don't forbid them; sometimes there's a good reason for starting them.

Tags
off-topic